Cruising at night

leeco

Featured Posts

Had a guy come upto me the other night in Leeds city centre giving me crap.

Telling me I've left paddles open when I didn't as I know how to work locks and telling me I shouldn't be cruising at night.

I told him where to go and he did but if you're on here I'm sorry how I spoke to you but you lied and caused the trouble.

Telling me I've left paddles open when I didn't as I know how to work locks and telling me I shouldn't be cruising at night.

I told him where to go and he did but if you're on here I'm sorry how I spoke to you but you lied and caused the trouble.

Ah right...... noted.

No boat should be moving at night i can give you the 1 and only reason why & its also a safty matter ready?

Youll wake the wife and at night its the only times my ears stop hurting and i get peace.

• Greenie 2

You get the occasional know all. I recall getting shouted at by someone walking his dog as I'd left the lock gate open. I pointed out to him that the boat approaching the lock would prefer it open.

It would have been great if you had apologized and asked him to close the gate. Then watch the other boat shout at him.

:)

Done a fair few 2am travels in Leeds centre along the river when I was moored their. Well recommended.

Do you need navigation lights? My 'tunnel light' is broken as I realised when trying to turn it on a couple of weeks ago after dusk!

On most canals, all you're required to have under CRT rules is a white headlight. However, most rivers want proper navigation lights.

At the moment, the majority of my skippering is at night on the trip boat. It's quite fun.

No boat should be moving at night i can give you the 1 and only reason why & its also a safty matter ready?

Youll wake the wife and at night its the only times my ears stop hurting and i get peace.

It is not something that I have any interest in doing (at least in a planned way) but it is a perfectly legitimate thing to do, so long as you have insurance cover. That is primarily why it is not allowed with hire boats as their insurance will generally exclude it and, in any case, you sign a contract to abide by their terms and conditions.

Other than being surprised, I don't think that the few times over a rather long period that I have been passed by a night navigator have we been especially disturbed. Given the way I sleep, we may well have been passed at lot more times than I am aware of!

"What is not forbidden is permitted" (Of course, social manners is not something that is regulated by law!) H&S is, however, and I am sure that if there were even remotely a case on those grounds for forbidding it then it would have already been done. All I ask is that you don't case an accident that is attributed to night navigation and that some ill-informed coroner then instructs CaRT to ban it! Who knows where that might end?