Single handed in locks - how to use bow line?

pamc2205

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

This thread reminded me of a question I keep meaning to ask.

Going uphill, I've often been impressed by how nonchalantly experienced single handers step off at the lock tail and take control with the centre line as the boat drifts into the lock. The thing is, what do you do when there's a bridge across the bottom gates like on the T&M for example? Do you just accept that you have to disembark using the lock ladder or (given that, AFAIK this only applies to narrrow locks) do you not bother with a control line at all?

Going uphill, I've often been impressed by how nonchalantly experienced single handers step off at the lock tail and take control with the centre line as the boat drifts into the lock. The thing is, what do you do when there's a bridge across the bottom gates like on the T&M for example? Do you just accept that you have to disembark using the lock ladder or (given that, AFAIK this only applies to narrrow locks) do you not bother with a control line at all?

I don't bother with a line to control the boat going up in narrow locks - drive the boat in, stepping off in the tail with the boat proceeding at a pace such that it reaches the top cill just as I am ready to open the paddles. Opening process depends on the particular lock (surging) and where the boat is in relation to the inlets....

Depending on the rise of the lock, if it is shallow I step off walk round the bridge and close the gates then grab the centre line off the roof and move the boat up to the cill. If deeper lock I climb the lock ladder and take the line with me.

• 3 weeks later...

When you get to a swing-bridge, you may be confused if the winding gear is on the opposite side to the towpath? If that's the case, you will need to tie the boat to the off-side or the bridge itself. You may need nudge the boat up to the bridge and walk down the gunwales to the bow and take the bow line in your hand before climbing off the front of the boat onto the bridge or the bank . Then tie your bow to something before you open the bridge.

With a lift/swing bridge where the winding gear is on the off-side. I pull in as close to bridge as possible on tow-path side, then take bow line and pull boat to bridge. I then walk across bridge and pull bow across the canal and secure. After lifting/swinging bridge I walk along gunwales to drive boat through. This saves walking along gunwales twice. After passing the bridge stop boat step off stern on offside, secure boat and lower/swing bridge back into place. Step back on and drive off.

You've had several replies so far, and I've used all those methods except I wouldn't leave my boat unroped going up a lock because it's only 27ft and there's too much empty space back or front so that unpredictable locks could shove it back or forward very quickly.

What I often do if it's only a narrow footbridge is pull the boat in standing on the footbridge using the centre rope and as it passes underneath the rope rises as it tautens and you can kneel down and get hold of it on the other side of the bridge. If the bridge is a road bridge or similar, then I use the lock ladder.

Edited to add an o

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Locking single handed, it is far better to admit ones limitations than make a mess of it.

Oh I see.

Strange though, I find locking single handed pleasing and easy. It only gets difficult and risky when someone unexpectedly turns up and insists on 'helping'.

• Greenie 1

Oh I see.

Strange though, I find locking single handed pleasing and easy. It only gets difficult and risky when someone unexpectedly turns up and insists on 'helping'.

Me too, although I don't mind too much if they know what they are doing. As in properly know.

An offer to shut the gate after I have exited the lock is always very much appreciated though!

I've only been boating a few years but I've done well over a thousand locks single handed and am going to go against the grain here...

I've never got this whole walking on the roof thing. I've never once walked on the roof. Just walk along the gunnel and up the ladder. I've also never pulled a boat into or out of a lock (apart from Beeston Iron), the engine does all the work on my boat.

I've only been boating a few years but I've done well over a thousand locks single handed and am going to go against the grain here...

I've never got this whole walking on the roof thing. I've never once walked on the roof. Just walk along the gunnel and up the ladder. I've also never pulled a boat into or out of a lock (apart from Beeston Iron), the engine does all the work on my boat.

Eh?

So when doing a really deep lock downhill, you get back on the boat by climbing down the lock ladder all the way to the gunwale instead of stepping onto the roof? Even though there is only 12" space between the cabin side and the slimy lock wall?

Eh?

So when doing a really deep lock downhill, you get back on the boat by climbing down the lock ladder all the way to the gunwale instead of stepping onto the roof? Even though there is only 12" space between the cabin side and the slimy lock wall?

Why not respect his view that, as he has said, he prefers to do it his way, and lets face it, there are many mays of skinning a cat! What suits you may not suit him for a variety of reasons.

Howard

Why not respect his view that, as he has said, he prefers to do it his way, and lets face it, there are many mays of skinning a cat! What suits you may not suit him for a variety of reasons.

Howard

I DO respect Junior's view, which is why I asked. I simply don't understand.

Why do you think asking a question = disrespect?

I always end up covered in green slime if I try and walk along the gunnels therefore I tend to use the roof.

Yes me too, which is why I was surprised Junior says he has never walked on the roof, presumably even when he had the ALBION.

Maybe he never does narrow locks. That could be one explanation.

Eh?

Yes and then just slide along the gunnel to the back. Never done it any other way.

I DO respect Junior's view, which is why I asked. I simply don't understand.

Why do you think asking a question = disrespect?

OK, no big deal, and maybe respect was too strong a word but "eh?" implied disbeleif and criticism on your behalf.

Howard