Deisal stove cleaner

Jstupot

Featured Posts

Hello.

Just bought a narrow boat with a lock gate fei's all stove. Haven't yet managed to light it. Think it needs a clean. Have been told you can buy some tablets that do a thorough job, but do not know the name nor where to buy the tablets.

Any ideas anyone please?

Hello.

Just bought a narrow boat with a lock gate fei's all stove. Haven't yet managed to light it. Think it needs a clean. Have been told you can buy some tablets that do a thorough job, but do not know the name nor where to buy the tablets.

Any ideas anyone please?

Yes, the tablets do a good job but normally you have to be able to light the stove to use them. I am not familiar with Lockgate but to light our Kabola Old Dutch you had to press diwn on a bar to get diesel flowing, put a small amount if meths into the stove, light the meths and keep the bar pressed down for a minute or so. Why not go the the Lockgate website for info on your model or email them for instructions? Edited by Stewart Kirby

Hi,

There is a really good guide to cleaning a Lockgate stove on the Forum - the tablets will do a minor cleaning job, but as said, the stove does have to be alight to use them.

Not sure where you are, but they have become widely available (I get mine from UBC Middx) I can't help with the name as I am away from the boat at the moment - I normally ask for oil stove cleaning tablets.

Manual cleaning is sometimes necessary.

The guide (by Poster 'KK') also gives details of a method of improving the efficiency of your stove.......

L

Hello.

Any ideas anyone please?

These stoves are very good, but they do need cleaning, especially if they've not been used for a while.

If you are having difficultly in lighting your stove, make the following checks.

1. Clean the chimney. You don't need the tablets mentioned. I just jiggle a weight on the end of a piece of string down the chimney.

2. Vacuum out all the black soot. This can be very messy if you try to do it with a brush.

3. Scrape off any caked on carbon, especially around the hole where the diesel enters the stove.

You should be aiming for the fuel to puddle on the bottom of the burner. If it takes about 30 seconds to make a pool the size of a 50p piece, that's about right.

4. If the fuel flows, but the stove won't light or stay alight, then suspect diesel that has been contaminated by condensation. This often happens after a long period of inactivity.

5. Remove the strainer (behind the hexagon shaped cover on the regulator) and clean.

6. If this doesn't work then the problem may well lie in the curved fuel pipe that leads to the bottom of the regulator. Remove this and clean it.

If the fuel still isn't flowing then you need to take the top off the regulator and clean the inside. (NB I've put on the forum detailed instructions how to do this, but for some reason the photos (which I hosted on Photobucket) are no longer there. I'll re-host them when I've got a moment).

Sometimes the problem is that the stove lights and won't stay lit.

It may be that the trip switch has accidentally been activated. Check. More likely the stove goes out and you get a huge pool of diesel in the bottom of the burner. You have to clear this out. You'll never relight the stove if there's too much diesel in the burner.

In cold weather you need a fair amount of heat before the diesel will vaporise and the stove runs properly.

There are various methods of doing this - involving a small quantity of meths, a chip off a firelighter, screwed up paper etc. All methods have their advocates.

For what it's worth I use one of these, with a piece of paper dipped in paraffin.

post-5123-0-33920600-1478254728.jpg

This enables me to place precisely the burning piece of paper into the burner pot.

NB I've put on the forum detailed instructions how to do this, but for some reason the photos (which I hosted on Photobucket) are no longer there. I'll re-host them when I've got a moment).

The mods have worked their magic and the pictures have now re-appeared. Thanks.

In case anyone wants to see how to service a Refleks, see here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51727