Whale Gulper Quick Question

Featured Posts

My shower gulper is higher than the shower drain hole and works "OK".

It's rather slow and a bit temperamental (to the extent that I have purchased a replacement but not enough for me to actually fit the replacement) but it never occurred to me that its problems were related to its position.

Can a Gulper be higher than the shower waste, or does it have to go on the boat bottom plate like the silly sump pump I currently have?

Many Thanks.

My gulper is roughly a foot above the shower waste,not much water runs back,the suction pipe rises an inch or two above the Pump inlet prior to the connection

CT

Cheers for info, very helpful. I will be mounting gulper on a bulkhead so will make sure i# mount it the right way up.

Can't wait to fit one and get rid of the sump pump; another job I should have done years ago rolleyes.gif

There is an inlet pipe mounted non return, available from Whale, that you can position by the shower tray to prevent run back of water. It use the same rubber element as the pump so does not block.

I bought from ABC boat chandlery last year.

There is an inlet pipe mounted non return, available from Whale, that you can position by the shower tray to prevent run back of water. It use the same rubber element as the pump so does not block.

That could prove very useful as I may be teeing the bathroom basin into the pipe from the shower tray (don't want yet another skin fitting that can be sheared off!). Thanks for that.

I don't have a whale but I read that the answer was to have the right amount of pipe between the pump and the plughole so any run back lays in there and not enter the bath.

Thanks. In view of that I should be OK, since the pipe is quite long into the 'orrible sump pump.

Recently I was surprised to note that there is now very little difference in price between the sump type drain pump and the Gulper, at Midland Chandlers anyway. Makes me wonder why I never fitted a Gulper from day one, or have they not been around that long (14 years)?

Thanks. In view of that I should be OK, since the pipe is quite long into the 'orrible sump pump.

Recently I was surprised to note that there is now very little difference in price between the sump type drain pump and the Gulper, at Midland Chandlers anyway. Makes me wonder why I never fitted a Gulper from day one, or have they not been around that long (14 years)?

Diaphragm pumps have been around for milenia, you could probably find one made of leather in a maritime museum somewhere smile.png the Whale Gulper is just another diaphragm pump, abait a bloody good one.

Some people just prefer the auto operation of a sump, mind you there is now a Gulper that has a sensor so switches on automatically, so if you get any drain bak it will keep cycling so the pump need a bit of a "fall"

Edited by NMEA

I'm pretty sure the gulper 220 already has a NRV on the pump itself although I can't remember which side of the pump it's positioned on. Anyway, mine is mounted about 18" above the the shower drain and I never get any backflow into the shower tray. Mind you, the hose from the shower to the pump is about 4ft long, while the hose from the pump to the skin fitting in the side of the boat is only about 18" long, so perhaps that accounts for the lack of backwash?

That could prove very useful as I may be teeing the bathroom basin into the pipe from the shower tray (don't want yet another skin fitting that can be sheared off!). Thanks for that.

I think you'll have fewer problems long-term if you fit a dedicated skin fitting for your gulper. Having a NRV at a joint between sink and shower waste pipes (if that's what you were intending) is bound to lead to frequent blockages, with the end result that you won't really benefit from your new gulper compared to your old sump box pump. You'll still be doing regular blockage clearances.

Remember, the dedicated skin fitting for your gulper can be as high above the waterline as you wish.

Edited by blackrose

I think you'll have fewer problems long-term if you fit a dedicated skin fitting for your gulper. Having a NRV at a joint between sink and shower waste pipes (if that's what you were intending) is bound to lead to frequent blockages, with the end result that you won't really benefit from your new gulper compared to your old sump box pump. You'll still be doing regular blockage clearances.

Remember, the dedicated skin fitting for your gulper can be as high above the waterline as you wish.

Absolutely agree, it is even possible that the head of water in the basin may not even be enough to open a decent NRV.

Edited by NMEA

I'm pretty sure the gulper 220 already has a NRV on the pump itself although I can't remember which side of the pump it's positioned on. Anyway, mine is mounted about 18" above the the shower drain and I never get any backflow into the shower tray. Mind you, the hose from the shower to the pump is about 4ft long, while the hose from the pump to the skin fitting in the side of the boat is only about 18" long, so perhaps that accounts for the lack of backwash?

I think that is what is advised in Graham Booth's boat building book.

My pump (not a Whale) discharges into the pipe between the wash basin drain and the skin fitting to save a hull penetration. It drops in from above so no water from the washbasin goes back to the pump, however with a clean filter on the pump suction I can get half an inch of water in the basin when emptying the shower, not a great problem as I don't use the basin while showering and I don't pee in the shower.