Dry dock stop planks - advice requested

tonyhay

Featured Posts

Miss spelled it, sorry.

Fitchett & Woollacott Ltd, Lenton Lane in Nottingham, Phone 0115 993 1112

Does seem to have changed hands, does seem to still be a timber merchant. Add it to your ring list, they never disappointed me when I lived in Nottingham.

Do your existing planks have any ballast? (An odd bolt or ten? A lump of lead.) You need to get the planks to sink without too much effort not bob about like balsa.

Do your existing planks have any ballast? (An odd bolt or ten? A lump of lead.) You need to get the planks to sink without too much effort not bob about like balsa.

IMO the planks need to (just) float. On edge, they will just and so bob about on the surface. As you add each plank it pushes its predecessor under the water.

Importantly, when removing planks, as each is removed, the next one bobs up making removal easy.

George ex nb Alton retired

Miss spelled it, sorry.

Fitchett & Woollacott Ltd, Lenton Lane in Nottingham, Phone 0115 993 1112

Does seem to have changed hands, does seem to still be a timber merchant. Add it to your ring list, they never disappointed me when I lived in Nottingham.

Thanks for the lead.

Our existing planks have recessed lifting rings which are held by recessed coach bolts. They float but only just!

IMO the planks need to (just) float. On edge, they will just and so bob about on the surface. As you add each plank it pushes its predecessor under the water.

Importantly, when removing planks, as each is removed, the next one bobs up making removal easy.

George ex nb Alton retired

Completely agree. Our current planks do this, so I need to ensure that the replacements do too. Tony

When the slot is full to the top the bottom planks must sink under the weight of the exposed top planks or there is no way of sealing the bottom cill. If each plank has some ballast then you don't have to crane in the last plank with the lead ingot secured. BUT the lower planks must float so that they can rise up the slot and be easily removable.

You will be buying a fair amount of timber to ask for a good price, measure the old planks and see just how much you need and how much it will cost.