Morso Bottom vent jammed

Larentia

Featured Posts

Hi, as above, I can't close the bottom vent on my stove. It may be ok once it's cooled but if it doesn't, does anyone know of anywhere nr Braunston that can fix/has spares? The lower door does come off thankfully.

All help/advice appreciated! Will update in the morning once it's cooled. I have broken down the fire and closed the top vent.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you both.

Not tried that yet though I did something similar with a poker which didn't work. Fire now out so will try in the morning. If not, will try locate a store that can assist.

Sounds like the knobs thread is seized up with goo. Drop some thin oil down behind the knob and screw it back and forth until it turns freely. The knob should unscrew off its stud and come off completely, in which case you could clean up the thread nicely with oil and your tooth brush. If you have false teeth you might not have a toothbrush, but don't worry, clean the thread with the Sterident instead, its very good.

Sometimes these stoves knobs seem to screw onto a bolt inserted from inside, in which case the knob probably won't unscrew and come off. If so just drip some thin oil down behind the knob and screw it back and forth like I mentioned in the first place. Cooking oil will do.

As Bizzard says.

You can also access the bolt head on the inside of the door, so a ring spanner or socket on that can also be used for freeing off. (If the vent does unscrew from its bolt, that's the best option.)

When re-fitting, if the vent has come off its bolt, put it back on really tightly, tightening bolt against vent, or you'll find the vent operating by screwing up and down the bolt, rather than the bolt screwing in and out of the door. If this happens, and isn't noticed, the bolt will be REALLY stuck next time.angry.png

Vent finally freed with much GT85 (like WD40) and what was left of the poker. Took some time but I couldn't sleep for thinking about it so I got up in the early hours and got to it. Not much sleep as up and out too soon afterwards but it was WARM as I started a new fire. Thinking that this will be the one to go through until Spring. Bit nippy tonight.

Fabbo stuff Bizzard. Thank you. Now it's not Halloween, you could upload a friendlier icon thing. I know you've had it for ever but it's worryingly odd and a bit scary.

Just a thought...

If you get the lead ( graphite ) out of a pencil and make it into a fine powderl and mix it with some oil to make a thick paste. Put some on the threads that are jamming and it will help to stop them from seizing up again.

Or see if you can get a little bit of copperslip to put on the threads.

I have a top and bottom door in the garage after scrapping my old Squirrel a few months ago. They were the only bits not knackered. You're welcome to them if any use, can be collected from Gloucestershire or Oxford.

Martin/