Aylesbury arm

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Hi. I came up the arm from Circus Field to Leighton Buzzard weekend before last and all was working ok. Not aware of any issues. If in any doubt contact the ACS http://www.aylesburycanal.org.uk/. Nice bunch of people and always happy to receive visitors at Circus Field basin.

I'm bias being a member :)

Edited by Jak

Is this the 1 thats now just outside bedgrove (sure its bedgrove) anyways just over the bridge near the big playing field? Saw this being built years ago.

But good glad its ok not sure how far down were going yetas heading to 3 locks in end november

Edited by billybobbooth

Anyone know of any problems down the aylesbury arm wanting to head that way. Plan to employ a lock. (Do i have to give it a pension?)

Couldnt see any stoppages.

We, and at least 16 other boats went down it at the weekend, if anything the biggest problem was too much water!

Tim

Yes. The new basin is all done now and all the boats moved from the old one in the centre of Aylesbury. Great new facilities and a friendly welcome to visiting boats. Dry dock, water, pump-out, diesel and club house. Find the welcome boat and Bryan will be able to help.

Edited by Jak

We, and at least 16 other boats went down it at the weekend, if anything the biggest problem was too much water!

Tim

In my world there is no such thing as too much water, ive pretty much had enough of this year with harly any water around at the south gu from august on so a bit of deap water is good news to us means i can stop when and where i want.

At times on Sunday there was at least a foot of water over all the top gates between locks 3 and 8. Helped wonderfully when closing the gates behind with a shaft. Lifting the top paddles involved paddling though.

It calmed down a bit after Wilstone and past Bates boat yard was very slow as usual.

N

walked along it the other day , all seems fine and very pretty with autumn colours . just watch out for the " Carp fishing " via pond emptying as it gets closer to Christmas as some of our East European Brethern are not adverse to draining several ponds on the arm for this purpose as its an Xmas delicacy for them ( dunno why tastes awful IMO ) . I know I got stuck going up last year when came upon 3 drained ponds north of Wilstone

Yes. The new basin is all done now and all the boats moved from the old one in the centre of Aylesbury. Great new facilities and a friendly welcome to visiting boats. Dry dock, water, pump-out, diesel and club house. Find the welcome boat and Bryan will be able to help.

... and a wet dock.

Tim

Anyone know of any problems down the aylesbury arm wanting to head that way. Plan to employ a lock. (Do i have to give it a pension?)

Couldnt see any stoppages.

A few pictures of the arm towards the end of this album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153914400962341.1073741944.716697340&type=1&l=2d004b1417

Tim

I don't remember many places to turn round

There is the bottom in aylesbury and ur oh yer the bottom in Aylesbury.

Worst case ill just go backwards can happly travel backwards just as well.

Cant remember if there is a winding point in the middle

There is the bottom in aylesbury and ur oh yer the bottom in Aylesbury.

Worst case ill just go backwards can happly travel backwards just as well.

Cant remember if there is a winding point in the middle

Well Circus Fields is well before the end, bit I can't remember about higher up

The sterile Waitrose basin at the end is still not connected with electric and still accessible to all, locks not working.

Looking at Tims photos, the pink boat now has an even bigger umbrella that may restrict navigation......Bauhaus is now CC-ing, the VW SSharan is now an official part of that boat, the New Mills of Hemel is horribly shiny but the locks either end are as leaky as ever...and the Rising Sun is still the most welcoming sight on that stretch.

Edited by matty40s

Just checked and you turn below lock 9

It is not possible to turn anything bigger than about 35ft below lock 9.

Full length winding is below lock 13 (Red House) at Circus Field just above the basin entrance or in the Town Basin.

There are odd spots on the arm where you can get 45ft around but they all onvolve getting the bow into the bushes.

N

It is not possible to turn anything bigger than about 35ft below lock 9.

Full length winding is below lock 13 (Red House) at Circus Field just above the basin entrance or in the Town Basin.

There are odd spots on the arm where you can get 45ft around but they all onvolve getting the bow into the bushes.

N

He it is on Google maps, I think its full length

post-261-0-21277600-1478272930_thumb.jpg

He it is on Google maps, I think its full length

That is the winding hole below Lock 13 (Red House) and is indeed full length (but only just when there is some PITA moored on the piling opposite. It's a bit worse now than in the photo since the offside has silted up and is growing reeds.

Lock 9 OTOH deffo has no winding hole.

N

That is the winding hole below Lock 13 (Red House) and is indeed full length (but only just when there is some PITA moored on the piling opposite. It's a bit worse now than in the photo since the offside has silted up and is growing reeds.

Lock 9 OTOH deffo has no winding hole.

N

Sorry, yes lock 13, its bridge No. 9 I quoted the wrong number so we are talking about the same one.

Sorry, yes lock 13, its bridge No. 9 I quoted the wrong number so we are talking about the same one.[/quote

No worries. I just didn't want anyone to get a serious surprise. Lock 13 is the best part of an hour from lock 9.

N