Announcement - Staff Vacancies

DHutch

Featured Posts

Canal world is looking to recruit a number additional moderators over next few weeks to work alongside the current team, both to grow the team and replace retiring members, hence take the site forward into the future.

The ideal candidate will have past experience of moderating similar sites, or have had significant exposure to more than one forum community and its methods of operation, however all existing members of the site will be considered and with multiple roles to fill a range of experience is welcome.

Moderators will join the current site staff in front line work after a short introductory period.

Tasks will include;
- Maintaining the forums content and atmosphere
- Merging duplicated topics and posts
- Moving topics and editing topic Titles
- Approving member adverts and link database.
- Removing inappropriate content and providing warnings to members
- Removing spam and removing/reporting spammers.
- Delegating repeat and troublesome offenders to myself.
- Discussing forum direction and operational detail.

If you are interested or able to take on the role please contact myself using the link below, including a short explanation of the reasons you are interested in joining the team, and any experience, knowledge or skills you can offer.

The site staff work in a team, with basic actions being carried out by individuals as required, and larger actions being discussed in increasing detail as required.

It is my hope that from the expanding pool of moderators, a suitable lead moderator can be drawn, to oversee much if not all of the day to day running of the forum.

Further more if you have a suggestions for a member you feel may be suitable and or interested in joining the team, please speak with them about it, or pass on the suggestion to myself so I can contact that member in question, anonymously or otherwise.

Send me a PM

Any questions please ask in this topic or via PM.

Thank you,

Daniel Hutchinson.
Site owner.

Edited by DHutch
to add clarity based on comments below, see italtics

If the forum/Dan is indeed going to change its stance on its moderation policy, would it not be a wise idea to state this as well.

There's not a lot of point applying if you are not sure whether the position will reflect present, or much sought after (but currently ignored) policy.

There has been much positive advice, suggestions and ideas along with some crap since 12th October, Brexit is moving faster.

• Greenie 3

If I may suggest a slight amendment to the 1st item on the 'job-spec'

Maintaining the forums content and atmosphere

Considering the current 'atmosphere' I think that 'maintaining' it would not be, in any way, moving forward (assuming that the intention is to do so).

Maybe amended to read 'continuously improving the atmosphere'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It would have been nice to have had a response to my suggestion and offer (even if just an acknowledgement).

They said they're thinking about it, so I guess you have to assume they haven't yet thunk. At least that means they have seen your offer even if Dan hasn't had the courtesy to thank you for it in PM.

If the forum/Dan is indeed going to change its stance on its moderation policy, would it not be a wise idea to state this as well.

There's not a lot of point applying if you are not sure whether the position will reflect present, or much sought after (but currently ignored) policy.

There has been much positive advice, suggestions and ideas along with some crap since 12th October, Brexit is moving faster.

This is a worry.

After all that has gone on, the announcement doesn't even acknowledge that there are problems, and just seems to press on regardless, as if this is a run of the mill moderator turnover event.

• Greenie 1

If I may suggest a slight amendment to the 1st item on the 'job-spec'

Maintaining the forums content and atmosphere

Considering the current 'atmosphere' I think that 'maintaining' it would not be, in any way, moving forward (assuming that the intention is to do so).

Maybe amended to read 'continuously improving the atmosphere'.

you took the words out of my mouth, so to speak.

Dan, please, please do not even attempt to maintain the pleasant sickly sweet atmosphere lorded over by a patronising thought police.

Oh come on guys! This is clearly a change, even if it doesn't go explicitly (or otherwise) into detail or describe a new beginning. What have we got to lose by giving Dan the benefit of the doubt and our support? If he gets that, the result could be a good one. If he doesn't, all we have is a continuing feud and a declining forum. If it doesn't improve, let's make sure it's not for the lack of the members' best efforts.

Sane words from our maritime canine friend.

• Greenie 2

Oh come on guys! This is clearly a change, even if it doesn't go explicitly (or otherwise) into detail or describe a new beginning. What have we got to lose by giving Dan the benefit of the doubt and our support? If he gets that, the result could be a good one. If he doesn't, all we have is a continuing feud and a declining forum. If it doesn't improve, let's make sure it's not for the lack of the members' best efforts.

I realise you are trying to put a positive onto this announcement, but please explain how 'this is clearly a change' when Dan is advertising for some 'short term' moderators to assist

I quote :

"a number additional moderators to work alongside the current team over the next few weeks".

Putting that aside - what is there in the 'job description' that is a change on the existing ?

Where is the requirement for the new mods to be 'able to manage change', make suggestions for forum improvements, implement new guidelines, etc etc ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Dan is advertising for some 'short term' moderators to assist

I quote :

"a number additional moderators to work alongside the current team over the next few weeks".

I don't think so. Try rejigging the order of the sentence thus:

"Over the next few weeks, Canal World is looking to recruit a number of new moderators".

I think that was Daniel's intended meaning.

I realise you are trying to put a positive onto this announcement, but please explain how 'this is clearly a change' when Dan is advertising for some 'short term' moderators to assist

You're right Alan, I can't explain anything and I am just trying to be hopeful. I do think what I'm suggesting could be the best way forward for us all though.

I don't think so. Try rejigging the order of the sentence thus:

"Over the next few weeks, Canal World is looking to recruit a number of new moderators".

I think that was Daniel's intended meaning.

I had considered that but then thought how very carefully Dan had worded his posts recently -

Example :

On being questioned about the involvement of C&RT in closing down some of the threads his answer was :

"..... definitely not - we have had no direct request from C&RT or Shoosmiths......."

Answers like that produce more questions than they answer.

I'd like to nominate Mr FORTUNATA, again! if he's willing of course. As I think he's a level headed chap, doesn't get flustered and gets straight to the point. His determination to press a point home is tremendous. Apart from his electrical geniusness, he listens to other members, keeps on topic. I think he'd be an ideal prefect. smile.png

Canal world is looking to recruit a number additional moderators to work alongside the current team

Might be helpful to say what that number is Dan.

On the other hand it reads to me like a copy'N'paste of previous vacancy adverts, so I think Dan is still holding his cards flat against his chest regarding any policy change in the pipeline. Or not.

Am I the only person who has noticed a slow but perceptible change in the forum? As far as I can see apart from a number of members who keep harping on about wanting announcements and massive change NOW, the forum is ticking along nicely. As more time goes by I suspect things will have changed and you won't really have noticed because you are too busy demanding change.

I am firmly on the side of give the staff a break and see how things develop. Then if you feel it necessary either ask for change or leave.

Members of all forums come and go. Many go and then come back. I have seen this on another site I frequent (probably more than I do this) a member said word to the effect "I have come to a cross roads I need a break this site has to be part of it. Goodbye." Not a flounce but a reasoned and explained final posting. A month later he was back.

It is the nature of forums some people won't like how things are going they will do one of three things. Stick with it and see if things improve. Leave and keep popping back to see if the site now suits them. Or just plain leave and never look back.

With regard to loss of expertise I can't believe that CWDF had a monopoly of all the knowledgeable people on the cut or that some who are knowledgeable haven't yet heard of CWDF.

• Greenie 4

I belonged to Just Canals some years ago, but left because it was rather slow-moving (appropriate for a canal I suppose, but it was frustrating to look in and find hardly any new posts since the previous day). Is it still extant?

I belonged to Just Canals some years ago, but left because it was rather slow-moving (appropriate for a canal I suppose, but it was frustrating to look in and find hardly any new posts since the previous day). Is it still extant?

It is.

It isn't a question of "Dan can't do anything right", but a question of "Dan hasn't, so far as can be seen, DONE anything of substance yet to deal with a major issue in the life of the forum".

People saying that change is needed, and trying to be constructive about what change is needed aren't the problem. An oppressive moderation policy, and complete silence on changing that is the problem.

Totally agree - If Dan were to say :

"As forum owner I am happy with the way the forum is run and we will not be making any changes", or, "I accept that Forums evolve and we need to make changes to meet todays 'needs' and that will happen progressively ........"

Then those that wish to 'move on' can do so, and those that want to 'stay' can do so. It won't just be a case of 'lets wait just another week to see if anything happens'

Its not difficult.

• Greenie 2