Boat sunk in Weston Lock, T&M

Eloise

Featured Posts

Probably because the two ground paddles on that lock have been out of action for months and the gate paddles on that section are very fierce.......

probably.

However, is it in or near the lock, it seems CRT are confuddled.

The boat has sunk in Weston Lock.The lock is closed until the boat has been removed.We are working to remove the boat as quickly as possible.

Description:Boaters are asked to proceed with care as a boat has sunk near Weston Lock. We are working to move the boat as quickly as possible

Edited by matty40s

Probably because the two ground paddles on that lock have been out of action for months and the gate paddles on that section are very fierce.......

probably.

However, is it in or near the lock, it seems CRT are confuddled.

The boat has sunk in Weston Lock.The lock is closed until the boat has been removed.We are working to remove the boat as quickly as possible.

Description:Boaters are asked to proceed with care as a boat has sunk near Weston Lock. We are working to move the boat as quickly as possible

deffo in the lock

picture took by a boater nearby.

14907009_10211443107172767_3218059540282

Matty you are confusing Weston with Aston locks. Aston is the one with no working ground paddles. However Weston has a lip on the cill which a boat can get caught under. Ours did a few weeks ago but the week link on the front fender did its job so no problem.

Is it the Derbyshire or Staffordshire Weston the boat is sunk in?

Ceratianly has that look - it's also going down (I mean direction, it's obviously gone down) so probably not top paddles or catching under the cill, possibly on it?

elderly lady was rescued off the roof, friend put gang plank over to the steps to get her off safely

deffo in the lock

picture took by a boater nearby.

14907009_10211443107172767_3218059540282

The gang plank presumably goes across to the lock ladder?

I assume the pound below must have been part drained, given it looks like the hull sides are probably only barely under the surface.

No, how would a boat be cill-proof simply from having no door at the front?

The idea behind the no door at front was to prevent flooding from unbaffled gate paddles when going UP.

I thought it was so you could poke the bows under and no water come in.

That could explain the sinking! gate paddles opened too quick and water submerged the stern deck.

haggis

Yes haggis, that seems to be what happened, from various reports by locals, The elderly couple apparently decided to reverse through the lock, so the boat was actually heading up, but backwards.

That could explain the sinking! gate paddles opened too quick and water submerged the stern deck.

haggis

I went through the lock earlier in the year, wouldn't say the gate paddles are a huge problem if the boat is kept well enough away from the gates, because the 'flaps' direct the surge onto the cill, rather than half way down the lock as used to happen on Leeds and Liverpool locks before baffles appeared.

I went through the lock earlier in the year, wouldn't say the gate paddles are a huge problem if the boat is kept well enough away from the gates, because the 'flaps' direct the surge onto the cill, rather than half way down the lock as used to happen on Leeds and Liverpool locks before baffles appeared.

I agree, especially the bit I have highlighted. I can't remember the details of all the double locks in that stretch but I do recall a deluge of water hitting the cill and bouncing back up towards what would normally be the bows of the boat. Our cratch board gave a lot of protection but there would be nothing to stop the water landing on the stern deck if the boat came up backwards. I always watch the bows carefully when opening gate paddles on any lock and I remember being extra careful on those locks.

haggis

I agree, especially the bit I have highlighted. I can't remember the details of all the double locks in that stretch but I do recall a deluge of water hitting the cill and bouncing back up towards what would normally be the bows of the boat. Our cratch board gave a lot of protection but there would be nothing to stop the water landing on the stern deck if the boat came up backwards. I always watch the bows carefully when opening gate paddles on any lock and I remember being extra careful on those locks.

haggis

We always have our front doors closed when locking. It may just give a couple of extra minutes if things do go wrong

Its hard to definitavely comment based on the details so far, but if I were doing a lock backwards I'd be especially aware of the various dangers of locking. For example, I'd definitely open the paddles very gently initially and see what effect it has on the boat position. And I'd be ready to close them and regather my thoughts if needs be. To simply open the paddles then observe the boat sinking seems incredible.

Its hard to definitavely comment based on the details so far, but if I were doing a lock backwards I'd be especially aware of the various dangers of locking. For example, I'd definitely open the paddles very gently initially and see what effect it has on the boat position. And I'd be ready to close them and regather my thoughts if needs be. To simply open the paddles then observe the boat sinking seems incredible.

And we are all probably a lot more experienced than those hirers. I would have had the bows hard on the bottom gate.