North Circular Road

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Forum member "Garvellachs" kindly donated some books for me to sell to raise funds for Chesterfield Canal Trust - the thing is I hate it when the books are so flippin fascinting!

I was drawn to one called "London's Canal" published in 1969 which portrays the new vibrant canals running through London with wonderful new high rise flats etc.

The front cover has an amazing picture of Serpens with a bikini clad girl on a cruiser. The picture that caught my eye was this one of a boat moored close to The North Circular Road.

14604874_10154581665869070_8454580627137

Somebody suggested Tam might know the boat?

Forum member "Garvellachs" kindly donated some books for me to sell to raise funds for Chesterfield Canal Trust - the thing is I hate it when the books are so flippin fascinting!

I was drawn to one called "London's Canal" published in 1969 which portrays the new vibrant canals running through London with wonderful new high rise flats etc.

The front cover has an amazing picture of Serpens with a bikini clad girl on a cruiser. The picture that caught my eye was this one of a boat moored close to The North Circular Road.

Will Dan let you auction them off on here for proceeds for yer canal society?

Tim

Well I guess Tam may know, but I doubt it is one of his fleet, particularly as I don't recall him running FMC boats.

I'd suggest it is a strange place for a boat in trade to be tied up, and also there is no butty, so I tend to think maintenance fleet, although it looks rather well presented and equipped compared to how those certainly became later on.

Could it be Python? When did that first move to the maintenance fleet?

Well I guess Tam may know, but I doubt it is one of his fleet, particularly as I don't recall him running FMC boats.

I'd suggest it is a strange place for a boat in trade to be tied up, and also there is no butty, so I tend to think maintenance fleet, although it looks rather well presented and equipped compared to how those certainly became later on.

That was my thought and the reason I asked if I am honest. I know it could be any one of hundreds of boats but it is kind of in the right place and the right colour!

Pete Harrison tells us Python was transferred to the Engineering Department for use as a canal maintenance boat based at Bulls Bridge in April 1961 so she would have been a maintenance boat at that time

Then again ... I think Panther would be another possibility

Will Dan let you auction them off on here for proceeds for yer canal society?

Tim

I expect if I flutter my eyelids at Dan he won't mind. He has been most generous in allowing me to post stuff before. My problem is I have so little time available to do it at the moment.

I am hoping to get a week at home mid November so perhaps I might sort it out then

That was my thought and the reason I asked if I am honest. I know it could be any one of hundreds of boats but it is kind of in the right place and the right colour!

Pete Harrison tells us Python was transferred to the Engineering Department for use as a canal maintenance boat based at Bulls Bridge in April 1961 so she would have been a maintenance boat at that time

Then again ... I think Panther would be another possibility

Not hundreds, certainly, but equally more than one. I have no idea how many Josher motors may have made it on to the BW maintenance fleet, and even less how many may have served in the London area, though I suspect the latter wouldn't come close to making double figures.

If Panther was a London boat, of course it is equally possible, and I'm not sure to what extent it is recorded where each maintenance boat served, or at what times. I know Petrel (for example) was in use in the area around Tring summit, but it could also have been used elsewhere - as indeed seems to have been the case with our "Sickle", (not a Josher, I know!), which ended its BW service in the Tring summit area, but there are pictures also placing it at Bulls Bridge late 50s / early 60s.

How about the Vanguard?

I don't know if zenataomm is suggesting Vanguard as a possible for the josher, but it is pretty definitely not. When Tim Wood came in with us as a partner early 70s he owned Vanguard and subsequently also Ilkeston. He operated them speculatively for one summer as a camping pair, but they were never really worked by us commercially and Alan is correct. When I saw the picture I did wonder, Python? BW did have a handful of boat people at that time. Tim would probably be able to make a more positive suggestion, as he worked for BW for a while about that time before coming in with us.

How about the Vanguard?

I have just got home from a meeting where I saw your question but did not have access to look at the photo. From memory I thought it was a Bedford CA van on the road and I knew there was a car too but didn't get as far as trying to identify it so I have been trying to visualise all through the meeting to decide if it was a Standard Vanguard or not biggrin.png

I don't know if zenataomm is suggesting Vanguard as a possible for the josher, but it is pretty definitely not. When Tim Wood came in with us as a partner early 70s he owned Vanguard and subsequently also Ilkeston. He operated them speculatively for one summer as a camping pair, but they were never really worked by us commercially and Alan is correct. When I saw the picture I did wonder, Python? BW did have a handful of boat people at that time. Tim would probably be able to make a more positive suggestion, as he worked for BW for a while about that time before coming in with us.

Thanks Tam,

This sounds really crazy I know but the dents in the bow look "right"

From memory I thought it was a Bedford CA van on the road and I knew there was a car too but didn't get as far as trying to identify it so I have been trying to visualise all through the meeting to decide if it was a Standard Vanguard or not biggrin.png

smiley_offtopic.gif The van is definitely a Bedford CA (the post 1957 version with medium sized rear arch cutouts) and the car is a Wolseley 4/44 or 15/50, very similar to the MG Magnette, but with a greater ride height and very distinctive extra sills that can clearly be seen catching the light in this photo.

Happy to help! smile.png

Stephen

I'd plump for a Magnette ZA or possibly a Varitone ZB, but can't see the colour properly. The vast majority of the Wolseley 4/44 and 15/50's came in black. Some weirdo's used to by these to play being cops, wearing navy blue pullovers, all the time wishing they had the bigger Wolseley 6/80 or 6/90, to pretend they really were proper cops. When one came up behind you you were looking for the bell on the front bumper in your mirrors which told you whether or not it was a real cops car.

Edited by bizzard

Almost plus one for a 15/50 or 4/44 but it seems a little big (although that could be a trick of the photo of a moving car, what about a Riley Parhfinder?

Its deffo a 4/44 or one of its badged variants.

Tim

Just for you sir:

(post edited by over-enthusiastic moderator tongue.png )

Do I get one for my cleavage? Ive already had a complaint from a Thunderboater for swearing. I confuse.

Ive got the serious I wants for this book now, its missing from my collection, meaning my mother (gawd bless 'er) hasnt yet spotted one in a charity shop.

Who was the author and publisher?

Cheers Graham

Herbert Spencer published by Putnam (well my earlier edition is).

Edited to add: Sorry I've just looked up the one on here and it appears to be totally different to my Herbert Spencer one.

The one here is written by:London Canals Consultative Committee and published by the G.L.C.

Edited by carlt

Edited to add: Sorry I've just looked up the one on here and it appears to be totally different to my Herbert Spencer one.

The one here is written by:London Canals Consultative Committee and published by the G.L.C.

Thanks Carl.

I think it is an MGZB in steel blue

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/ride-1957-mg-magnette-saloon The varitone was two colours and had a wrap around windscreen

Yes this copy is the G.L.C. version

When was the aqueduct divided by that central island? Or is that just on the approaches- I've not been over it for some years.

The Aqueduct in the picture was demolished in the 1990's and rebuilt with two channels as part of the North Circular widening works.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis