Problem at Fox's Marina March - Ex Red Army truck sunk

br4k3s

Featured Posts

This is the sight that I returned today, A heap of ex Red army scrap sunk in the marina blocking access to most parts of the place, including my mooring and the slipway. The rust bucket belongs to Wandering Snail least favoute person 'Richard Moore' the owner of the JCB that rammed their boat,

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is the sight that I returned today, A heap of ex Red army scrap sunk in the marina blocking access to most parts of the place, including my mooring and the slipway. The rust bucket belongs to Wandering Snail least favoute person 'Richard Moore' the owner of the JCB that rammed their boat,

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wondered if it did

Any idea what happened?

I gather from the office, He drove it down the slipway to test it's amphibious equipment, No sooner than he drove in. Water started to pour in. Clearly he should have filled it with water while on dry land to find any leaks beforehand. A lot of blacking is going to be wreaked with the amount of diesel floating on the surface of the water.

I gather from the office, He drove it down the slipway to test it's amphibious equipment, No sooner than he drove in. Water started to pour in. Clearly he should have filled it with water while on dry land to find any leaks beforehand. A lot of blacking is going to be wreaked with the amount of diesel floating on the surface of the water.

I am sure they will be able to claim on his insurance

Not the one who parks JCBs on Narrowboats by any chance?

No idea about that bit - I've just seen some of the things like rocket launchers and other ex Soviet bloc military gear parked up on the other side of March from Foxes. If you turn left of leaving Foxes and go east along the Old Nene they were on the north bank after the railway bridge.

A couple of minutes with guuuurgle has turned up this story in the Wisbech Standard

http://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/military_truck_sinks_in_a_march_boatyard_1_4756375

Calls the driver Richard Moore and has a link to his company's website

http://www.russianmilitary.co.uk/news-story.php?id=25

Where he has the sunken junk on sale for £19,990!

So was this guy allowed to just drive it in or did he just do it off his own back.

He seems a long way from the bank, surely stopping some way down the ramp would have made recovering the wreck if it started leaking. Attaching it to a towing vehicle would have also helped if water poured in.

The story is a bit short of facts unless this all had history. What's the jcb that rammed a boat? Is it the same idiot driver.

So was this guy allowed to just drive it in or did he just do it off his own back.

He seems a long way from the bank, surely stopping some way down the ramp would have made recovering the wreck if it started leaking. Attaching it to a towing vehicle would have also helped if water poured in.

The story is a bit short of facts unless this all had history. What's the jcb that rammed a boat? Is it the same idiot driver.

That story was covered in detail in these pages a few years ago. I don't know if the thread is still accessible, nor whether the same adventurous, accident-prone driver was involved.

Edited by Athy

At £19,990 for a 24 foot shell, it's not much boat for the money is it? Wikipedia gives the spec at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OT-64_SKOT

from which we can deduce:

At 2.55m beam it won't fit narrow locks, so wouldn't get past the Northampton Arm. Except that if it hasn't yet sunk, it can be driven up any slipway wide enough then does 94 km/h on the roads, no craning in and out required.

Dividing the weight by the length x width and using the water density of 1 tonne per cubic metre we get a draught of 0.76m, but of course that assumes a cuboid shape, so in reality with those wheels I estimate a draught of about three feet six, so it would run aground often on the canals. It could simply be driven along the bottom if the problem is just silt, but would be halted by more substantial junk on the canal bed.

Thousands of these things were made in Poland and Czechoslovakia (as was) and many are still in use in various countries, so maybe the owner needed to get some advice on the correct procedure for amphibious use. It isn't difficult to find a Polish interpreter in the UK, and anyway the instructions may be available in English as many were exported to India.

I wondered if it did

So did we.

That story was covered in detail in these pages a few years ago. I don't know if the thread is still accessible, nor whether the same adventurous, accident-prone driver was involved.

Same owner, one of his cronies driving the jcb. Moore wouldn't give us his name. Hope Fox's have more success dealing with this person who caused more than £30,000 of damage to our boat than we did.

I don't know if they have jurisdiction on the canals, which is why I was asking.

Fox's Marina is on the Old Nene, which is a river. But of course the incident happened within the marina, which is off-line and which (I assume) belongs to the family, so I'm not sure who has responsibility.

Fox's Marina is on the Old Nene, which is a river. But of course the incident happened within the marina, which is off-line and which (I assume) belongs to the family, so I'm not sure who has responsibility.

If it links into the river it'll be EA then. Slightest spillage (and we're talking just a few litres) from a Royal Navy warship in harbour is classed as quite a serious Maritime Pollution (marpol) incident which involves attendance of a senior officer for a borrocking and threats to remove the facility to refuel alongside. Not my area, but if someone wants this vehicle removed pdc and the owner to be held to account, the EA would be a good place to start.

If it links into the river it'll be EA then.

I don't think so. The local waterways are run by the Middle Level Commissioners. E.A. waters start at Stanground (Peterborough) one end and Salter's Lode the other, so I can't see that they would have any jurisdiction.

I don't think so. The local waterways are run by the Middle Level Commissioners. E.A. waters start at Stanground (Peterborough) one end and Salter's Lode the other, so I can't see that they would have any jurisdiction.

Oh well, 'twas just a thought. 'Course, the EA will end up with the diesel in their waters eventually one would presume.

Its not a navigation thing its the Environment Agency bit. They even get involved with pollution on the highway

Yes EA get involved in any spillage which has the potential to pollute a watercourse or groundwater, whether it's their waters or not. They should be interested in this one, even if there isn't (yet) any pollution outside the marina.