Pride of Sheppy

David

Featured Posts

Hi

Just thought I'd put a couple of pic's of the vessel our engine was originally in. This was prompted by the Dunkirk post earlier.

Pride of Sheppy, the pic is a blow up from an old postcard lent by the Thames Waterman who skippered PoS after the war and when our engine was re-fitted into it. He claimed that PoS went to Dunkirk as a brand new but un-named boat commandeered by the R Navy just before.

File0002.jpg

File0001.jpg

Pride of Sheppy is on the right (the other is Mocking Bird also owned by Websters at the time)

Boat020A.jpg

This engine was fitted in 1951 and removed in 1984 stored and found 1994

engine1.jpg

After restoring in '94.

Pride of Sheppy was last seen on the bank at Gravesend after 1984 (when the engine removed) and believed broken up later.

david

Lovely engine - what will it be when it grows up? :)

Edited to say: I must get the dimensions of the fuel pump air chamber from you one of these days - our engine is missing this item and I think they are the same for both 'J' and 'K' series engines.

Edited by NB Alnwick

Lovely engine - what will it be when it grows up? :captain:

Edited to say: I must get the dimensions of the fuel pump air chamber from you one of these days - our engine is missing this item and I think they are the same for both 'J' and 'K' series engines.

Hi Theo

It might grow up to be one off these

DCP_0130.jpg

My memory fails me on who's it is it was at the 2004 rally Shardlow

Just a note for none Kelvin perverts, the grandson standing by the K3 is over 5Ft tall (metric people work it out!!!!!!!)

You might know this one, Stuart Garners K1, was thought to be the only one left but I thought I heard rumers of another one.

DCP_0127.jpg

The air chamber got taken off before I bought the engine by the original owner at some point (who gave me the photo), so I never had it.

David

The engine at the shadlow rally is the one that is about to be taken out of x FMC Trout ?? I think

It was put in Tout in 2005 as we had there Last Lister JP for Monarch

and is for sale along with a K2 they are about to put another Lister JP2 in her

Is it Sheppy or Sheppey?

Having grown up on the Isle of Sheppey (an island on the north Kent coast on the edge of the Thames estuary) I would hazard at guess at the latter spelling.

Hi

My error I missed the E out in every spelling, it is/was Sheppey. A brief summary of her is. She was built at Whitstable in Kent 1938/9, Carvel built of about 34Ft by 11Ft beam, the hull decked over and a centre towing block, much admired for her fine lines. Commandeered immediatley by the RN spent the duration of the war at Hole Haven servicing the boom vessels etc protecting the Thames. Released to Websters of Gravesend eventually who operated from The Royal Terrace Pier Gravesend. . My engine fitted in 1951 for Websters by a father and son business W.T.Lewis. At one point they poured concrete into her to use her for more heavy towage, upto 3 coal barges in and around the Medway Eventually sold on by Websters to a one man operation (Johnny Allan) in the early 1970's who worked her around the Medway, Faversham and Dartford Creek etc Until lifting her out of the water at Gravesend canal basin and sent the engine back to WT.Lewis for overhaul in 1984, this was never paid for and the engine was kept by Mr Lewis and stood until "found" in 1994 and fitted into our boat. Pride of Seppey was on the bank for about 2 years and suffered much damage in drying out, patched up she was sold on to unknown name who fitted a Mermaid engine and used her for fishing trips until she again came out of the water at Gravesend, reportedly in the late 1980's in a very poor condition, after which we lose sight of her. The bulk of this information came from her Websters skipper Mr Alan Sutherland, Johny Allans nephew and other ex-watermen.

David