Clarification of a "rule"?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

Not my profile as in what you see when you click on my name.

Rather more the fact that I maintain a high profile and have strong views that I am not afraid to express.

I can see that I am too controversial to be a mod, and that the last thing Dan wants is people on the team with too independent a viewpoint.

But is that not a good reason for Mods not to post personally while they are Modding so that they can become/be neutral and not get carried away with a discussion on one side or the other.

Just to nail my colours to the mast here.

I have previously offered to assist (in a technical capacity rather than as a mod, but techies do of course gain access to the moderator tools).

My offer was declined, and it was made clear that somebody with my profile wouldn't be accepted.

Dan is aware that the offer remains open if he chooses to ask me, but he hasn't asked.

Dave,

I dunno what's wrong with your profile.

Sure, you have strong opinions and aren't afraid to express them. However, you can be persuaded to change your mind, or come to a compromise position, and I have never known you to "play the man" rather than the argument

I think you'd make an excellent mod.

• Greenie 1

I too think Dave would have made an excellent mod.

Not as good as me though, obv... but it's hypothetical as we've both been turned down.

Well Dave has at least. My carefully prepared application (along with my enquiry about whether my application was received) was ignored.

I too think Dave would have made an excellent mod.

Not as good as me though, obv... but it's hypothetical as we've both been turned down.

Well Dave has at least. My carefully prepared application (along with my enquiry about whether my application was received) was ignored.

Must admit I would agree about Dave with the addition of Carl we would be in for intresting times :)

Must admit I would agree about Dave with the addition of Carl we would be in for intresting times smile.png

I also think that Dave and Carl would make excellent mods. I would even volunteer myself, being a much lower key type of person, but would be unsuitable as I would only ever respond to reports of extreme profanity and spam. Apart from the fact, of course that part of the deafening silence from the present powers that be is a lack of any invitation for volunteers.

I also think that Dave and Carl would make excellent mods. I would even volunteer myself, being a much lower key type of person, but would be unsuitable as I would only ever respond to reports of extreme profanity and spam. Apart from the fact, of course that part of the deafening silence from the present powers that be is a lack of any invitation for volunteers.

Another good volunteer if I could say

Another good volunteer if I could say

Yes you'd be an excellent mod too.

I was taken aback last time around at the appointment of BoB and LC with no advertising or any clue more mods were being sought.

Or did I miss something?

The worlds gone mad

Gone?

Yes you'd be an excellent mod too.

I was taken aback last time around at the appointment of BoB and LC with no advertising or any clue more mods were being sought.

Or did I miss something?

Far far too grumpy to even consider it :)

Going back on-topic (sort-of), I have thought that a single 'mod' account, accessible by all site crew could be the answer. It means that all moderation would be done by 'mod' and that's all we'd know. It would take any person feeling out of it. It would also necessitate proper explaining of modding decisions. As I said before, I would be more than happy to have my name mentioned with an explanation of where I went wrong.

From another forum I am a member of.......guess what was being discussed??

ed - cant get the link to work correctly, any way it was an example of the use of a 'generic' mod or admin. account.

It works well IMHO which is why I too mentioned it earlier.

Edited by MJG

Were you in the Monkees?

I wish I was :) I'd have killed to get a part in that show. Missed out on the lead roll for "Man in a Suitcase" I was the right height for the part. :)

Nice frock, Laurie! biggrin.png

:)

Do you still have this outfit? And if so, could you please wear it on the challenge next year??

I wish the outfit did still fit me, oh to be 7.5 stones again (now 15 stones)

I wish I was :) I'd have killed to get a part in that show. Missed out on the lead roll for "Man in a Suitcase" I was the right height for the part. :)

I wish the outfit did still fit me, oh to be 7.5 stones again (now 15 stones)

Twice the man you were.

Dammit beaten to it. I was gonna ask which of those two in the photo was Laurie.

I love the way you are fiddling with your Spirit of Ecstasy in that photo Laurie. And she is inching her fingers along for a feel, too!

Must be a Freudian thing on both our minds.

PS

I'm the pretty one on the left

Nice frock, Laurie! biggrin.png

Yes a frock coat

Twice the man you were.

Sadly very true

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2016 at 10:36, Mike the Boilerman said:

Laurie's Spirit of Ecstasy even has a wiki page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Ecstasy

Today's useless piece of information.....

The creator of the Spirit of Ecstasy Charles Robinson Sykes was born in Child Street, Brotton in the neighbouring village to ours. There is one of them blue plaque thingies on the house he was born in.

You somehow don't expect that the creator of a thing so readily associated with great wealth was born in an ironstone mining village in the North East of England.

http://openplaques.org/plaques/10731