Clarification of a "rule"?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

Forums tend to have fluctuating members and as people go others with know-how will step-up, so even if some experts have gone, never to return, I am sure there will be others to replace them. Long term I am sure this forum will survive, but in a different form as it is now too late to return to how it was as too many will not return. Sadly I am also not happy with how this forum is developing.......................

Sadly, whilst the forum may find new members, there are some that it won't replace easily, and those members are the ones that attracted others.

I feel inclined to drift off too.

My problem is however, there is no canal forum I like, so I'll probably spend more time on a different special interest forum.

Another thought I keep having is when I first turned up on CWF there seemed to be no moderation to speak of. Much like Thunderbolt now. Thunderbolt might be chugging along ok now but what is going to happen if/when inter-member warfare breaks out like it did here a year ago? I suspect we will see a gradual reversal of the member flow, back to here again.

I feel inclined to drift off too.

My problem is however, there is no canal forum I like, so I'll probably spend more time on a different special interest forum.

Another thought I keep having is when I first turned up on CWF there seemed to be no moderation to speak of. Much like Thunderbolt now. Thunderbolt might be chugging along ok now but what is going to happen if/when inter-member warfare breaks out like it did here a year ago? I suspect we will see a gradual reversal of the member flow, back to here again.

I think that's a good point. The banned from here are currently united in a common grievance. What happens after they feel they've had their pound of flesh remains to be seen.

My 'primary' forum is an International forum based on a small subset of militaria collectables, covering values of items from a 'few pounds' to many, many thousands of pounds. It is 'populated' by adults with (presumably) similar outlooks in life, and I cannot think of more than a couple of examples of moderation in the many years I have been a member.

The forum has 7 simple rules :

1) No 'wanted to buy', 'wanted to sell', or 'wanted to trade' adverts are allowed on the main forum - use the sub-forum.

2) No flames or personal attacks will be tolerated. Posts that either attack or flame will be deleted and the IP of the poster noted. If it is noticed that one poster is causing problems this poster will be banned from posting for one week. Second offense results in the loss of posting rights for good.

3) You do not have to register but it is recommended as it allows you to upload files as well as access some features not available to "anonymous" posters.

4) Please do not use foul language. If the use of foul language is noticed the entire posting will be deleted. KEEP IT CLEAN.

5) Do not answer or praise yourself with false handles or nicknames. This is noted when it happens and is frowned upon by xxxxxxxxx.Com.

6) Do not post of ongoing auctions. You may post when auctions are completed but no mention or promoting of auction items is allowed.

7) Treat others with the same respect as you expect to have others treat you with.

That's it.

Having too many, complicated rules means that more moderation is needed and more opportunity for 'wrong decisions'.

Keep it simple.

I dare to suggest that CWDF could operate with three rules :

1) No flames or personal attacks will be tolerated. Posts that either attack or flame will be deleted and the IP of the poster noted. If it is noticed that one poster is causing problems this poster will be banned from posting for one week. Second offense results in the loss of posting rights for good.

2) Please do not use foul language. If the use of foul language is noticed the entire posting will be deleted. KEEP IT CLEAN.

3) Treat others with the same respect as you expect to have others treat you with.

• Greenie 3

There are also similar numbers of PM threads. One discussing making the forum rules and guidelines much clearer, and two discussing how to improve moderation going forwards, with a code of conduct amongst other things.

But there's also 6 open PM threads about the process, and how discussion is being kept on track.

At the moment, we're having to spend longer guiding the discussion of changes and explaining what we are doing than we are actually making the changes.

I used to get PMs about eleccy stuff, I'd always ask the person to start a topic so that everyone could chip in and the result would benefit all.

So maybe it'd be good to redirect discussion to a dedicated topic in the admin section, that would at least appease those complaining about lack of progress.

Sorry to hear LM is giving up moderation, at least she can have a well deserved break now. With a more streamlined and sensible FR&G and application in general it may allow a rota so each mod gets some weeks 'off'.

Edited by smileypete

My 'primary' forum is an International forum based on a small subset of militaria collectables, covering values of items from a 'few pounds' to many, many thousands of pounds. It is 'populated' by adults with (presumably) similar outlooks in life, and I cannot think of more than a couple of examples of moderation in the many years I have been a member.

The forum has 7 simple rules :

1) No 'wanted to buy', 'wanted to sell', or 'wanted to trade' adverts are allowed on the main forum - use the sub-forum.

2) No flames or personal attacks will be tolerated. Posts that either attack or flame will be deleted and the IP of the poster noted. If it is noticed that one poster is causing problems this poster will be banned from posting for one week. Second offense results in the loss of posting rights for good.

3) You do not have to register but it is recommended as it allows you to upload files as well as access some features not available to "anonymous" posters.

4) Please do not use foul language. If the use of foul language is noticed the entire posting will be deleted. KEEP IT CLEAN.

5) Do not answer or praise yourself with false handles or nicknames. This is noted when it happens and is frowned upon by xxxxxxxxx.Com.

6) Do not post of ongoing auctions. You may post when auctions are completed but no mention or promoting of auction items is allowed.

7) Treat others with the same respect as you expect to have others treat you with.

That's it.

Having too many, complicated rules means that more moderation is needed and more opportunity for 'wrong decisions'.

Keep it simple.

I dare to suggest that CWDF could operate with three rules :

1) No flames or personal attacks will be tolerated. Posts that either attack or flame will be deleted and the IP of the poster noted. If it is noticed that one poster is causing problems this poster will be banned from posting for one week. Second offense results in the loss of posting rights for good.

2) Please do not use foul language. If the use of foul language is noticed the entire posting will be deleted. KEEP IT CLEAN.

3) Treat others with the same respect as you expect to have others treat you with.

Define foul language.

Define foul language.

It is easy to pick fault with any suggestion - I would have thought that the 'cultural differences' across 5 or 6 continents would have led to 'problems' but I have never seen anything I would consider 'foul language' (and I do not normally swear) and obviously the mods think the same.

The 'longest journey starts with a single step' try it and see, if it doesn't work - change it.

I posted the Sheep thread on 12th October, this wasn't just a few days ago.

Nothing has changed, other than the loss of a very good moderator due to the "nothing wrong here" attitude followed by the "bear with us" attitude.

I haven't been on much, given up, I did PM Dan but not had the pleasure of a response.

Sorry to see you go Lady muck, I don't think I would get moores across from you nowadays as I once did, but Kathy and I will say hello if I do get down there.

• Greenie 1

It is easy to pick fault with any suggestion - I would have thought that the 'cultural differences' across 5 or 6 continents would have led to 'problems' but I have never seen anything I would consider 'foul language' (and I do not normally swear) and obviously the mods think the same.

The 'longest journey starts with a single step' try it and see, if it doesn't work - change it.

Not trying to pick fault, but this really is the issue. Different people have different views of what is foul language.

They also take a different view about the odd naughty word.

I tend to a fairly permissive view. There is a tiny lexicon that should never appear, a wider range that shouldn't be the norm, but which isn't an issue if it appears on the odd occasion, and still others that are sufficiently mild as tone OK.

The current policy here would preclude anything but a bowlderised discussion of the words, and some mods take issue with even the milder words.

Lady Muck was indeed one of the 'fairest' and even handed mods, along with Theo and Good Girl.

So Daniel is two of his better mods down all because in my opinion he cannot get to grips with a clear definition of what they are actually expected to moderate and what is expected from the membership.

Very disappointing.

I think that's a good point. The banned from here are currently united in a common grievance. What happens after they feel they've had their pound of flesh remains to be seen.

I'm guessing you've never actually looked closely at it?

Because it's nothing like you appear to suggest it is.

Indeed. My welcome from Jenlyn was interesting.

And there is an ongoing slanging match between two people from here. It isn't a problem because most other peopl just ignore it

Of course I have looked at it. I've read quiet a lot of it. Everything is going swimmingly for the most part.

The fact is though that certain (some, note, not all) posters were ejected from here for their abrasive style. Everyone has their own tolerance level regarding what is acceptable behaviour. For me the jury is still out as to how the situation will develop once CWDF becomes an irrelevance to the aggrieved.

On that basis I think MTB has a point. Whether it is wellfounded remains to be seen.

I have been here before and in that case both forums continue to flourish.

Exactly. How does it hurt anyone? Let them carry on looking silly.

That's how it was on here until it spilled over into other areas. It's difficult to ignore the fight going on in your favourite pub when you are trying to have a quiet drink.

• Greenie 1

I have been here before and in that case both forums continue to flourish.

I have the feeling this is how it will all pan out. Two canal forums to read in future and post one's questions on.

That's how it was on here until it spilled over into other areas. It's difficult to ignore the fight going on in your favourite pub when you are trying to have a quiet drink.

The pub analogy is a good one. It's not even that easy to ignore a fight in the pub you are drinking in if it is going on in the public bar and you're in the saloon. The shouting, the police cars arriving etc all distract you from discussing which type of bog is better.

Even in villages with two pubs, often neither is perfect. We were discussing this the other night in the pub. One pub is frequented by boaters and locals etc but is on the cusp of closing down, never has any beer or food etc. The other pub is dead posh, not especially welcoming and the beer is rubbish as they are a 'gastro pub' primarily...

Even in villages with two pubs, often neither is perfect. We were discussing this the other night in the pub. One pub is frequented by boaters and locals etc but is on the cusp of closing down, never has any beer or food etc. The other pub is dead posh, not especially welcoming and the beer is rubbish as they are a 'gastro pub' primarily...

Are you saying that Thunderboat is the Rovers and CWDF is Nick's Bistro?

Are you saying that Thunderboat is the Rovers and CWDF is Nick's Bistro?

Actually yes, that sums it up. What used to be a thriving local has decided to go up market and chucked out all the regulars who were a bit rowdy. I'm allowed to stay and talk to myself in the empty bar though.

Actually yes, that sums it up. What used to be a thriving local has decided to go up market and chucked out all the regulars who were a bit rowdy. I'm allowed to stay and talk to myself in the empty bar though.

So it should be Dan's Den aka Boilers Bistro??

Edited by Woodsy

I think it is a shame that Lady M has left as she seemed decent to me but I fully understand if with current events she has had enough. Being a MOD is a voluntary role and when anyone feels they have had enough then that's OK.

I do agree with System-40s though in that we have been waiting for several days now to see what the admin/management has to say other than some aggressive posts about what won't be tolerated and being told to wait and see as they consider what to do about the comments made. There has been some evidence of change but also evidence things are staying the same too. I think peoples patience is being tested and will run out. When will we know if CarlT's offer is to be taken up or not for instance?

I must admit though it is also possible I have missed some stuff about what is happening as I am not looking in as much as I normally would.

I think it is a shame that Lady M has left as she seemed decent to me but I fully understand if with current events she has had enough. Being a MOD is a voluntary role and when anyone feels they have had enough then that's OK.

Ldy Muck was always very loyal and having to peddle the 'corporate line' Dan has adopted with which I suspect she strongly disagreed (i.e. shut up and do as I say) eventually led her to resign. Just my opinion though.