Clarification of a "rule"?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

I can't see from what went on in the public forum at least that Nick did anything to warrant a suspension.

Have I missed something?

The only thing that you're missing is the logic that could possibly justify a banning rather than a warning.

Roger

What's the reason behind Nick " the electric guru on all matters " being banned from cwdf for a period of 2 weeks ?? Are the POWERS THAT BE this petty they are wiling to lose such a valuable member on such petty crimes ( if any )

Darren

I think cwdf has "lost the plot" is apposite. The baby is being been chucked into the cut. Institutional nervous breakdown.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

I'm not a prolific poster on here but I do read loads and find nicks contribution adds value to me personally and this forum. It won't be long before I move my attention to "the OTHER place" for good,

Darren

I'm sure Nick would love to see you too :)

• Greenie 1

If this is Nick Norman we are talking about he was " steering without due care and attention " when he steered through Alvecote the other day. He was paying more attention to his tablet

Blimey, they're really not messing about when it comes to what type of thing goes into the forum rules and guidelines now then!

Or was your comment unrelated!?

If this is Nick Norman we are talking about he was " steering without due care and attention " when he steered through Alvecote the other day. He was paying more attention to his tablet

Curious you should post that when he can't come on here now and challenge that comment.

I've merged these two topics as they discuss much the same subject.

Do bear in mind the the following forum rule.

"Threads openly criticising moderating decisions will not be tolerated. Any questions concerning the running of the site or moderator decisions must be sent using the report button, by PM to the moderation team, or by e-mail to staff@canalworld.net. The site owner and moderators will discuss problems privately and individually but NOT in the open forum

Any private communications to the site owner or moderators that are abusive in tone or language will result in instant exclusion from the site."

Banning Nicknorman has got to be the most pathetic response to his efforts to prevent this forum collapsing . I m staggered that such a decision could be made in light of whats unfolded over recent days .

Nicks input & willingness to share knowledge on electrical threads and other subjects is exemplary and i consider him to be a shining example of what a valued forum member ought to be . Two winters back i had problems with an alternator issue and Nicks help ( along with many others ) was absolutely pivotal in helping an absolute numpty like me fix my problem . I was grateful and i remain grateful . I learnt alot and he was rewarded with nothing but perhaps the notion that he had done a good deed and helped a total stranger .

I find that whats happened to this forum im recent times absolutely shambolic

.and its getting worse not better . The excuses are woeful , and the responses to members requests for improvements are equally woeful .

Cliques discussing other members behind thier backs , whether in private or not is dreadful and shameful behaviour . Banning members indefinately is tje response of a weak minded manager .

Have a look around the forum - to my mind there isnt much happening . A few threads just dragging along with little happening . This place that was once so full of lively discussion , full of interest , a place to learn from & a place to give back to others is basically falling to bits and still the same old lame excuses are put out ..... We need more time , we need to discuss etcetc . It all sounds like a load of corporate bollocks .

So , soon enuff this place will become , unless measures are taken , a bit of a members club where everyone just agrees with each other all the time and tjose that are left can feel very smug that theyre included .... for now atleast ..... & providing that they continue to toe the line of whatever the rules are .

I really used to love this forum - when i first bought my boat around four years ago it was a great great place and it saddens me to see what its turned into . I really hope that it gets turned back around but i really don t see it happening .

What a shame

PS its taken me ten minutes to post this . I started writing it and when i tried to post the thread had been moved

Jesus Christ ( religion !) its like 1984 in here , i ll change my user name to winston smith i think

ETA : to change " thread had been locked " to " thread had been moved "

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 2

Curious you should post that when he can't come on here now and challenge that comment.

I just read it as an indication of how much effort he was trying to put in to checking that he hadn't broken any rules. I didn't think it needed defending but I concede it could be interpreted in other ways.

Banning Nicknorman has got to be the most pathetic response to his efforts to prevent this forum collapsing . I m staggered that such a decision could be made in light of whats unfolded over recent days .

Nicks input & willingness to share knowledge on electrical threads and other subjects is exemplary and i consider him to be a shining example of what a valued forum member ought to be . Two winters back i had problems with an alternator issue and Nicks help ( along with many others ) was absolutely pivotal in helping an absolute numpty like me fix my problem . I was grateful and i remain grateful . I learnt alot and he was rewarded with nothing but perhaps the notion that he had done a good deed and helped a total stranger .

I find that whats happened to this forum im recent times absolutely shambolic

.and its getting worse not better . The excuses are woeful , and the responses to members requests for improvements are equally woeful .

Cliques discussing other members behind thier backs , whether in private or not is dreadful and shameful behaviour . Banning members indefinately is tje response of a weak minded manager .

Have a look around the forum - to my mind there isnt much happening . A few threads just dragging along with little happening . This place that was once so full of lively discussion , full of interest , a place to learn from & a place to give back to others is basically falling to bits and still the same old lame excuses are put out ..... We need more time , we need to discuss etcetc . It all sounds like a load of corporate bollocks .

So , soon enuff this place will become , unless measures are taken , a bit of a members club where everyone just agrees with each other all the time and tjose that are left can feel very smug that theyre included .... for now atleast ..... & providing that they continue to toe the line of whatever the rules are .

I really used to love this forum - when i first bought my boat around four years ago it was a great great place and it saddens me to see what its turned into . I really hope that it gets turned back around but i really don t see it happening .

What a shame

PS its taken me ten minutes to post this . I started writing it and when i tried to post the thread had been locked .

Jesus Christ ( religion !) its like 1984 in here , i ll change my user name to winston smith i think

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif well said

never mind, there's plenty of expertise at the other place, even Gibbo is on board.

"Threads openly criticising moderating decisions will not be tolerated. Any questions concerning the running of the site or moderator decisions must be sent using the report button, by PM to the moderation team, or by e-mail to staff@canalworld.net. The site owner and moderators will discuss problems privately and individually but NOT in the open forum

Any private communications to the site owner or moderators that are abusive in tone or language will result in instant exclusion from the site."

I think it's sensible to openly discuss the moderation in general.

Trying to enforce otherwise will simple drive the discussion and membership to more open forums, is that what the site management wants?

It's true that a general discussion may be brought about by a specific situation, not a lot that can be done about that...

Maybe Nick has been a bit caustic in his private messages but I'm sure he won't mind you sharing them in the spirit of openness if you wish to support your points.

Edited by smileypete

is there a reason this line is added? is this a new rule.

This (plus the fact that it keeps being reposted ad nauseum as if we all have short-term memory loss) is what has driven so many folk, myself included, across the road to the friendly place.

I once played a game called Travian. It was a commercial venture & had servers in many different countries, which included a forum for each of those servers. It was a war game, & sometimes the forum could get pretty heated.

The UK server only had 1 paid member of staff. & it had an ongoing problem, in that that paid member of staff was corrupt & a cheat, this was ignored by head office.

Eventually after several years it got so bad that the whole forum, which included outright enemies of each other, went into open rebellion, which included actively breaking the rules. Head office finally had to take notice & address the problem of their corrupt cheating game admin, instead of keep brushing it under the carpet. Of course they had a vested interest in addressing it because they was in it to make a profit, & by repeatedly ignoring the problem it had started to hit their profits.

This place is starting to have the feel of what happened in Travian just before the dren hit the fan.

So what did he hit, then?

And, anyway, is this relevant?

(Although it's the first second time I've heard it referred to as a "tablet")

Banning Nicknorman has got to be the most pathetic response ....

We have not banned Nick.

Nick has been placed on a short-term suspension for 14 days, following multiple warnings to allow the site team time to carry our the actions he and others where asking for, before raising the topics again.

If members continue to post disruptive content, cross post between forums and otherwise break the site rules, this will only slow down the progress we are trying to make as a staff team.

Everyone one of the team is working around the clock to discuse and implement improvements, around typically busy personal lives, and having half the throughput spent on reviewing threads like this is counter productive.

Daniel