Clarification of a "rule"?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

If someone is Banned for two weeks (some may say "suspended") and told that " the situation will be reviewed in two weeks" could I ask "in what light will it be reviewed, there cannot be any posting evidence, they are Banned.

If someone is Banned for two weeks (some may say "suspended") and told that " the situation will be reviewed in two weeks" could I ask "in what light will it be reviewed, there cannot be any posting evidence, they are Banned.

it is generally reviewed by the mod team as to whether that member will behave when allowed back, probably put on mod que untill they prove they can behave.

What would you propose re someone clearly abusing the forum rules, to which they signed up to before joining?

Really?

The forum rules have significantly altered since I joined. And you too I reckon.

Mod que. I've never heard anything so redicuoluse in my life.

Talk about a police state.

Well, not quite, we admit it was over used when the team were stretched, I can remember back in the day, I used it once, I was alone, we had a disruptive member and I needed some sleep. They were on modqueue overnight until I'd discussed it with the team. I personally think this may be the only reason to use this function.

We don't want to use it anymore, it's time consuming for all of us, its frustrating for someone who just wants to have a discussion.

Edited by Lady Muck

Well, you'd think so wouldn't you, but that's not what happens in some cases.

If they continue to disrupt the site -eg, they get a mate to c+p the same sort of disruptive posts on here.

If they continue to waste our time by creating sock puppet accounts.

If we think they are using a mates account to continue to post.

We've banned people and then they've gone on to harass us (and disrupt our lives and families) in different ways, offline /away from forums and social media/ it breaks the law, we report it where it happens/to the cops. In that case they won't be permitted to come back.

If we need a break to sort something out we might suspend someone, we will be honest with them as to why.

We have suspended people by mutual agreement before.

Maybe some of you who like us have experience of moderating sites would have some more examples of why one would do this.

Edited by Lady Muck

I don't mind. It was a reasonable question to ask.

but you didnt answer the question as highlighted could you please elaborate on how it will be reviewed if they can no longer post.

There was absolutely no need for you to torture yourself by clicking on the thread once you discovered its content..

The post has been put in General Boating. I too would not have clicked on it had it been put in the Feedback or similar section but it wasn't. I assumed it was something to do with boating or CRT rules. So you've been a bit unfair to Victor there IMHO.

• Greenie 2

The post has been put in General Boating. I too would not have clicked on it had it been put in the Feedback or similar section but it wasn't. I assumed it was something to do with boating or CRT rules. So you've been a bit unfair to Victor there IMHO.

It's people like Victor, Barry and yourself that WILL drive this forum into the ground, probably without even realising it.

Defending the undefendable is the wrong way to go IMHO.

Edited by K and S

Unfair? yes indeed.

In the last few days there have been phrases such as "zero confidence" (sueb).stroking ego suggested(random moderator)torturing(VV)

Polite everyday English is perfectly adequate for all conversations especially for the written word

Carlt,do please try to be civil,this is a forum and not a school debating society.

CT

That would be a very valid point IF Victor didn't go seeking out and adding his tuppence worth to posts hidden away in Suggestions and Feedback (Inconsistency in Moderation - Post 58, for example) . As he has done just that it would seem that he is NOT trying to avoid these sorts of threads. Unfair on Victor?

Roger

It's people like Victor, Barry and yourself that WILL drive this forum into the ground, probably without even realising it.

You do seem to have an awful lot to say for someone who has not been posting for very long!

You're evidently a man who is quick to form judgements. I see that you have been here a week (welcome, by the way). Pud, on the other hand, has been a respected member here for a number of years, during which I for one have not noticed her saying anything which "will drive this forum into the ground".

On what do you base this damning assessment?

• Greenie 1

I was careful to say "after you have discovered the content".

Click on a thread, decide you're not interested, leave and don't click on it again...or:

Click on a thread, decide you're not interested, decide to leave a sneering comment.

We have choices.

• Greenie 1

Unfair? yes indeed.

In the last few days there have been phrases such as "zero confidence" (sueb).stroking ego suggested(random moderator)torturing(VV)

Polite everyday English is perfectly adequate for all conversations especially for the written word

Carlt,do please try to be civil,this is a forum and not a school debating society.

CT

There is absolutely nothing in my language that is any less civil than those who sneer at my attempts to improve the forum.

The words you have quoted are perfectly polite everyday English...No profanities, no insults and not contrary to the forum rules.

You are right this is not a school debating society, nor is it pre-school.

• Greenie 2

Not at all there should be room for us all and I wish we could move forward, carl is trying and tbh nick was and I am supprised and disappointed by his ban

• Greenie 2

Not at all there should be room for us all and I wish we could move forward, carl is trying and tbh nick was and I am supprised and disappointed by his ban

I agree and when there is a resolution we may still be frequenting the same forum so will need to get on.

Despite attempts from Cereal Tiller and Victor Vectis to suggest the contrary I have tried to remain civil at all times and talk positively about the future.

Sneering criticism does not help and is just the sort of behaviour that the perpetrators seem to be opposing.