Cumberland Knot

Jerra

Featured Posts

Quoted from <http://blog.iharder.net/2011/04/15/kalmyk-can-the-kalmyk-unseat-the-bowline-as-king-of-knots/>

I am reading the book “On the Trail of Genghis Khan” by Tim Cope. He traveled for 3 years on horseback from Mongolia to Hungary. On page 437 he mentions a knot he describes as a reverse bowline. On his very first night he was taught this knot by a Mongolian herder. As he traveled across the Eurasian Steppe he found the same knot but with the name of the peoples who lived in the area. A Kazakh knot in Kazakhstan, Kalmyk knot for the Kalmyk people, and in Hungary it was called a Cumanian knot. He used this knot for everything

So possibly not a Cumberland but a Cumanian knot??

I know. I could only learn it by watching it being demostrated in slow time

I was being mischievous

A long while a ago I was shown a quick way of mooring with a clove hitch (not the way I learnt as a Wolf Cub - that shows my age) but by making two twists and dropping over eg a bollard. (OK, I know some people have a objections to a clove hitch but I don't) I have tried several times to teach this to certain folk but never succeeded. It seems so easy to me . . . . Equally, I can never remember the boatman's hitch . . .

A long while a ago I was shown a quick way of mooring with a clove hitch (not the way I learnt as a Wolf Cub - that shows my age) but by making two twists and dropping over eg a bollard. (OK, I know some people have a objections to a clove hitch but I don't)

Someone left a demonstration of their clove hitch on a lockside as an aide memoire:

post-6882-0-60881700-1478171970_thumb.jpg