Cumberland Knot

Jerra

Featured Posts

I am not sure if this is the correct part of the forum but if it isn't my apologies and could a mod move it.

As the title basically.

Has anyone heard of the Cumberland Knot?

Do they know how to tie one?

Does anyone know of instructions for tying one?

Google doesn't seem to have heard of it.

I am not sure if this is the correct part of the forum but if it isn't my apologies and could a mod move it.

As the title basically.

I am told it is a non adjustable variation of a mooring hitch similar to an eskimo bowline. Used by Inuit of the Cumberland Peninsular and also found in Russia under a different name.

Jerra, it would seem you know more about it than most since you've at least heard of it and Google and us folk here haven't. I think you should tell us what you know.

I don't know anything other than the name. Mrs Jerra came across a request for how to tie it on social media and I thought "there are some very knowledgeable knotters on the forum I will ask.

I lived in Cumbria for over 30 years and I've never heard of it.

I'm fairly sure, however, that there is something called a Cumberland Knob (no Melvyn Bragg jokes please) which IIRC has a design that resembles a coiled rope, interestingly.

I can't find anything on Google about this either but I'm sure it exists.

Not unless Mrs Jerra is having a bad hair day ...

The Russian name is Kalmyk.

Edited to add link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmyk_loop

Well, there's an interesting thing! I thought you were taking the mickey, hence my Babushka suggestion. I suspect from the bad hair day day quip that you're aware that Babushka would loosely make it a Granny knot!

Not unless Mrs Jerra is having a bad hair day ...

The Russian name is Kalmyk.

Edited to add link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmyk_loop

The bowline was one of the few useful knots I used to teach our barge handling trainees and I would sometimes leave it at that stage. Never knew it was Russian though.

The bowline was one of the few useful knots I used to teach our barge handling trainees and I would sometimes leave it at that stage. Never knew it was Russian though.

The bowline certainly was, and as far as I know still is, a favourite knot in the fire service, with many different applications including as a rescue knot.

Some of us were able to tie it around a person, whilst completely blind, with thick gloves on, so that it fitted tightly first time, and tie the knot in front of the person whilst standing behind them.

No mention of a Cumberland knot in that revered tome The Ashley Book Of Knots

Thank you for your efforts. The request about it was from a lady commissioned to do a statue and a cumberland knot was specified as part of what had to be there.

As the title basically.

Just as a shot in the dark I Google Cumberland not, no k and this came up, I have absolutely no idea why but as nothing sensible has worked......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Augustus,_King_of_Hanover

I found this in an article online about Scotch Carpets (their description not mine) so I shall have a look through my books on rugs and carpets to see if I can find an illustration:

Few designs are mentioned by name, apart from those called Cumberland knot, Dambroad and Starr pattern and, on one occasion, Diamond pattern. Cumberland knot was popular in black and yellow, but was also sold in red and green

The bowline certainly was, and as far as I know still is, a favourite knot in the fire service, with many different applications including as a rescue knot.

Some of us were able to tie it around a person, whilst completely blind, with thick gloves on, so that it fitted tightly first time, and tie the knot in front of the person whilst standing behind them.

I had trouble, in the scouts, remembering the rabbit round the tree down the hole etc method. I was taught to tie it round my waist by holding the live line and winding/looping my other hand and wrist around, sounds similar to what you mention.

The secret was to take the running end, pass it over and around the standing part in a half hitch, pull tight so the hitch tightens to the body, then pull the running end away from the body. This will form your loop with the rabbit coming out of the hole in one motion. then you just finish it off and the knot has been tied tight to the body.

Got that?