Inconsistency In Moderation

Featured Posts

And conversely we have to assume that because the mods can (rightly IMHO) cite 'confidentiality' that all the bannings are justified and based on valid reasons. There is no recourse to an appeal just 'you're banned' that's it.

I think recent events and some posts by Daniel have called this whole banning issue into question and frankly I'm amazed given recent events that Nick has been banned all be it temporally . Yes he was (very) questioning of the direction the forum is going but this all smacks of stifling censorship IMHO. His posts to me don't look much or any worse than many others on here in this and several currently running threads.

Agreed.

Whilst I have certainly had occasion to think Nick a PITA at times, I can see nothing in his recent posts that justified a temporary ban.

He hasn't been disruptive of the forum, he may have been disruptive of fragile egos, and it is a very bad move when criticism is being silenced because people don't like to hear it.

• Greenie 2

well we all know which side of the bed you lay on dont we.

Well I should imagine that my post 32 pretty clearly laid out "which side of the bed I lie on"

but for the sake of clarity....

I have a great deal of sympathy for some of what Nicknorman says about the quality of forum moderation

I have a great deal of sympathy for the way the mods here are limited in what they can say

I see nothing wrong with forum members defending the mods on here since what they can say is very limited

I absolutely abhor the way people from this site are discussed on Thunderboat.

I absolutely detest the way people from Thunderboat rant and rave, stir each other up and pop back here to drop another grenade. But hey - its a free country

Clear enough for you?

• Greenie 4

Not sure what you mean.

The ones I take reside on whichever device I capture them on at the time, could be my phone, iPad or my PC.

People in these threads about moderation keep mentioning having screenshots as evidence of bannings lists, secret squirrel discussions etc.

But as far as I know, these supposed screenshots never get produced for examination.

So I'm wondering why not.

People in these threads about moderation keep mentioning having screenshots as evidence of bannings lists, secret squirrel discussions etc.

But as far as I know, these supposed screenshots never get produced for examination.So I'm wondering why not.

Right. That would be for others to answer, thus far I haven't felt the need to do so, at least recently.

Well I should imagine that my post 32 pretty clearly laid out "which side of the bed I lie on"

I have a great deal of sympathy for some of what Nicknorman says about the quality of forum moderation

I have a great deal of sympathy for the way the mods here are limited in what they can say

I see nothing wrong with forum members defending the mods on here since what they can say is very limited

I absolutely detest the way people from Thunderboat rant and rave, stir each other up and pop back here to drop another grenade. But hey - its a free country

Clear enough for you?

as you know full well we are "gagged" here from saying anything that could be truthful against another member, this is why thunderboat was formed, there we can call a spade a spade and not get banned for it, it works quite well maybe it should be tried here.

nevermind

But as far as I know, these supposed screenshots never get produced for examination.

So I'm wondering why not.

I could do Mike if you really are interested but the post wouldn't last 5 minutes as Barry made sure that any evidence is not allowed to be talked about never mind provided.

Roger

Edited to add that the FB post that I have referred to in my, now hidden, post seems to have disappeared from Facebook at the location, date and time that I quoted. That's a surprise then. Good job I still have a screenshot to prove that I wasn't making it up then isn't it.

Edited by Albion

Clear enough for you?

So if we can't discuss on TB, is it OK if we do so face to face or down the pub?

Oh and members of TB don't rant and rave nor wind each other up, a rather inflammatory statement I feel.

Phil

well we all know which side of the bed you lay on dont we.

Yes, same side as me and all the other nice people on this forum.

Those who want to talk about boats, canals and so on.

Those like a joke and can poke gentle fun at each other.

NOT those who seen intent on wrecking CWDF.

NOT those who sulk and whinge like little kids when they can't get their own way.

For Gawds sake if you don't like it here then just go somewhere else.

This was posted by nicknorman today,

Suspended for two weeks for, pending further consideration by the Mod Team. So no, my profile hasn't been expunged but I can't log in, and thus I can't post anything. However once they've done that to me for trying to help them (even though they don't realise it) I'm not sure I want to go back, at least not with 3 of the mods still in place. Banned is probably dramatising a bit, which of course is most unusual for me.

This must be a strange, new use of the word 'help' with which I am not familiar.

And.................you use the word 'them' instead of 'us'. Them and us? Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.

• Greenie 2

Don't we all do that, both here and in real life? Of course, one man's "nice" is another man's "nasty".

I think the issue is the criteria being used. If that is 'anybody that questions the direction the forum is taking' is not a 'nice' person then it is fundamentally flawed and extremely judgemental.

Let's put it another way - given what Nick said on posts, do you believe that was sufficiently disruptive to earn a ban? Or do you think he did something further, which might possibly have been hidden (it would have to have been extremely quickly) by the moderators, if so what?

If you judge a situation purely on what someone tells you or what you've seen in public, you might not be getting the whole story.

So if we can't discuss on TB, is it OK if we do so face to face or down the pub?

Oh and members of TB don't rant and rave nor wind each other up, a rather inflammatory statement I feel.

Phil

I'll discuss anything you like down the pub. I like beer and I like company. But in my own local when people start coming out with racism, sexism, homophobia, and other [expletive deleted] loudly, and laughing while they do it, I'm afraid I leave. It spoils my beer and my enjoyment of the place. Come to think of it I haven't been in much this year.

I've visited Thunderboat twice Phil, to see what's happening with reference to CWDF. Once not long after it was set up and once a few days ago

On both occasions I saw the way thunderboaters talk about people, especially CWDF mods and in my opinion it was absolutely disgusting.

• Greenie 4

I'll discuss anything you like down the pub. I like beer and I like company. But in my own local when people start coming out with racism, sexism, homophobia, and other [expletive deleted] loudly, and laughing while they do it, I'm afraid I leave. It spoils my beer and my enjoyment of the place. Come to think of it I haven't been in much this year.

I've visited Thunderboat twice Phil, to see what's happening with reference to CWDF. Once not long after it was set up and once a few days ago

On both occasions I saw the way thunderboaters talk about people, especially CWDF mods and in my opinion it was absolutely disgusting.

Some thunderboaters. Some.

If you judge a situation purely on what someone tells you or what you've seen in public, you might not be getting the whole story.

Sorry, but the tactic of "I know stuff that you don't" alluding to the fact that there is more than this than meets the eye doesn't wash any more.

I accept that a mod cannot disclose details, but given that we have seen what Nick posted, and that he has been open about sending some frank PMs to Dan to try and get him to see sense, can you be UTTERLY clear here.

"Are you saying that the disruptive behaviour goes beyond the posts and PMs that we know about".

We might not be getting the full story, but we might actually be getting the full story.

I would have agreed with you once but, as more and more "moderate" disillusioned CWDF members sign up then it is becoming less and less "ladsy".

Does this mean that you might also ban someone from what they say in private, eg PM between mod team and the person concerned? If so that's a worrisome trend. If someone has done a rule-break which merits a warning alone (not ban/suspension), I'd imagine alongside that rule-break a post or two (or an entire thread) may be hidden. They will probably be upset by this. They probably see things significantly differently to the site staff's perception of it. But to then increase that suspension to a ban/suspension/modqueue (let's be honest, modqueue is as good as a ban sometimes because you've effectively silenced them from all but benign posts) simply based on their interaction with the site staff, looks like a simple punishment for disagreeing with your opinion.

The alternate explanation, is that you're publically suggesting that Nicknorman is a liar.

Allegedly, it was one of a group of friends, a person who is now a moderator on this forum who described a member for this forum as "slime on a stick", prior to their being banned.

Are we ok with that?

Yes, same side as me and all the other nice people on this forum.

Those who want to talk about boats, canals and so on.

Those like a joke and can poke gentle fun at each other.

NOT those who seen intent on wrecking CWDF.

NOT those who sulk and whinge like little kids when they can't get their own way.childish remark from an adult, you may want to look at some of your own postings on that score.

For Gawds sake if you don't like it here then just go somewhere else. i have

This must be a strange, new use of the word 'help' with which I am not familiar.

And.................you use the word 'them' instead of 'us'. Them and us? Hmmmmmmm. Interesting. because it has turned into "us and them" we are not allowed to ask questions about moderation and if we are they don't get answered even to the point of being removed/banned if they dont like what we ask as in the case of nicknorman. tell me what did he do wrong?

Does this mean that you might also ban someone from what they say in private, eg PM between mod team and the person concerned? If so that's a worrisome trend. If someone has done a rule-break which merits a warning alone (not ban/suspension), I'd imagine alongside that rule-break a post or two (or an entire thread) may be hidden. They will probably be upset by this. They probably see things significantly differently to the site staff's perception of it. But to then increase that suspension to a ban/suspension/modqueue (let's be honest, modqueue is as good as a ban sometimes because you've effectively silenced them from all but benign posts) simply based on their interaction with the site staff, looks like a simple punishment for disagreeing with your opinion.

The alternate explanation, is that you're publically suggesting that Nicknorman is a liar.

I'm not discussing individuals. But some pms we have received from members (now ex members) were so abusive they broke the law, so why on earth would we not ban someone in that instance. Does it somehow not matter when they are in private? Any fule kno that that the worst of abuse will go on in private.

Edited by Lady Muck

...and, in many of the pubs which I used to frequent during my regular pubbing days, your stays would have been brief!