Unreserved Apology To GoodGurl

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

If I could give you a greenie for this, I would. You are spot on.

so you agree.

does that mean that you and rest of the site team are going to let the patient die, or can we expect a complete change of moderation policy in the next 24 hours?

'cos, tell you what - I think the horse has already bolted.

Ok - I don't know if this helps - but:

Virgin Media do not provide Static IP addresses to residential users. Static IP addresses (sometimes called lease lines) can be very expensive.

Your outward facing IP, not the internal IP between your device and your router, can change at the whim of your ISP.

Your internal IPs (always in a reserved range) can be configured and can be static or dynamic, but this internal IP is invisible to the internet.

All IPs provided by your ISP will sit in a predefined range. The IPs are allocated, mainly by IANA, in ranges. That range can be quite large and by blocking a range you risk blocking any users of Virgin Media, depending how you define the range.

It is usually possible, depending on your firewall software, for websites to block devices by means of MAC address. A MAC address is a unique (but spoofable) identifier for the device. Most webservers will be able to capture MAC addresses from incoming requests and should be able to block accordingly.

It is easy to get round IP blocking on a webserver, there are very many proxy sites available and sites offering Dynamic DNS. It is less easy to get round MAC address filtering, but MAC IDs can be spoofed relatively simply (pop it into ***tube).

I hope this helps...

• Greenie 1

Virgin Media do not provide Static IP addresses to residential users. Static IP addresses (sometimes called lease lines) can be very expensive.

Whilst true in theory I have had the same IP address with Virgin for over 4 years. At least, every time I check it it's the same. I guess it could change every time I'm not looking.

Ok - I don't know if this helps - but:

Then why did mine never change?

Or do you think I am making it up.

We don't ban IP ranges. Doing so would prevent access for many users and new users alike. As a slight aside, even with 3,706,452,992 public IPv4 addresses, it's not uncommon for dynamically assigned addresses to be recycled and later used by another member, at least geographically.

There's definitely some IP address ranges which are blocked, however these are from 1) known suspect foreign ranges and 2) previous DDoS attacks. They are in the .htaccess file. However it was never used to ban individual members, anyone who understands IP addresses would realise this is both futile and likely to block legitimate users. This might be where the confusion arises regarding DHutch stating that some IP ranges are blocked, and your statement that you don't ban by IP.

Also known (as in, in a database run by Invision) spammers are auto-blocked, but at forum software level, not by IP address.

There's definitely some IP address ranges which are blocked, however these are from 1) known suspect foreign ranges and 2) previous DDoS attacks. They are in the .htaccess file. However it was never used to ban individual members, anyone who understands IP addresses would realise this is both futile and likely to block legitimate users. This might be where the confusion arises regarding DHutch stating that some IP ranges are blocked, and your statement that you don't ban by IP.

Also known (as in, in a database run by Invision) spammers are auto-blocked, but at forum software level, not by IP address.

Sounds about right.

Daniel

We don't ban IP ranges. Doing so would prevent access for many users and new users alike. As a slight aside, even with 3,706,452,992 public IPv4 addresses, it's not uncommon for dynamically assigned addresses to be recycled and later used by another member, at least geographically.

Think you will find the total public IPV4 addresses are nearer 4,294,967,295 less a few 100s reserved IPs

Think you will find the total public IPV4 addresses are nearer 4,294,967,295 less a few 100s reserved IPs

Quite, an IPv4 address is a 32 bit integer, and a bit like the 32 bit integer that is just to describe time as in number of milli-seconds since 00:00 1Jan 1970. Back in the day was thought to be good enough, and something practical with the bounds of the hardware then. Of course now both those things are a fundamental flaw, the number of IP addresses is pathetically small, hence a lot of use of dynamic IPs, which whilst they may not always be changing, gives ISPs the flexibility to manage their restricted allocation of addresses. This is solved by IPv6 adresees which is a must with the building of IoT where every device is connected. The date issue is still to come, and time literally runs out in 2038.

About 22 million of them are reserved for private or other use.

Actually a google comes up with around 590million, but 268m are for reserved for future use.

Edited by Robbo

Then why did mine never change?

Or do you think I am making it up.

As I understand it, the IP assignment is a lease for a given time and may be renewed. Hence if the ISP has enough addresses and you use tours frequently then it is likely with most providers that you will keep the same address. However it is not guaranteed. If you are providing a service such as a Web server then you need to guarantee that it stays put. Hence the option for a static address. IP banning us generally likely to have a lot of false positives, not a good thing to do and can itself harm reputation as those who sail to gain access have no info on why.

Sounds about right.

Daniel

Can also arise from spam filters which are a real pain to get lifted

Sounds about right.

Daniel

Sounds about right.

Daniel

Semi permanent IP addresses with Virgin - I have been with Virgin for ever and find that the IP address just about never changes, however I did turn it all off when I went away for a 2 week holiday and it changed upon starting it up. Leaving it off just overnight does not seem to make it change.