Basic queries regarding boat electrics...

dianah

Featured Posts

Hello! Having lived off grid for 3 years, using only the 12v system I find myself in a marina with the opportunity to connect to shoreline and I was wondering:

1. Can I use 12v devices whilst connected to the mains?

2. Does the mains hook up charge my batteries?

Thanks in advance.... Diana

I thought the intelligent ones were ok to.

Neil

They probably are but their longevity may be in question - built down to a price rather than up to a standard. They are not likely to be so well protected against damp. It is also unlikely that they will do an equalisation charge if you need it but then many mairne ones can't..

Please don't expect 12 volt appliances and devices to continue working if you connect them directly to a 240 volt supply.

Having said which, it's an excellent way of setting the boat on fire and keeping really really warm for a short while!

Diana, don't fret on Mike's reply, your 12v stuff will only be using leccy from the batteries, if you have a shorepower socket on your boat you should also have a 240v power circuit too with house type sockets around the boat coming from a house type breaker box.

Your marine battery charger will be powered from a 240v socket and will keep your batteries full so they can continue to run your 12v stuff.

If you have a inverter.......well that leads too more stuff you need to do, let us know if you have a inverter

Phil

Diana, don't fret on Mike's reply, your 12v stuff will only be using leccy from the batteries, if you have a shorepower socket on your boat you should also have a 240v power circuit too with house type sockets around the boat coming from a house type breaker box.

Your marine battery charger will be powered from a 240v socket and will keep your batteries full so they can continue to run your 12v stuff.

If you have a inverter.......well that leads too more stuff you need to do, let us know if you have a inverter

Phil

in view of the OP's obvious lack of knowledge about these matters, it might be useful to advise her to employ an electrician or other competent person to connect a battery charger to the batteries.

Some of the answers given here, in my opinion, could be dangerous, especially to someone that, with respect, does not yet have enough knowledge of electrics to be asking the question. Of course it may be worded badly.

Lets take the first question at face value:

1. Can I use 12v devices whilst connected to the mains?

The answer is not simple, it needs to be qualified.

12v dc equipment must not be connected to the 'mains' 240v ac.

12v dc equipment can be use at the same time as the boat has 240v ac connected but they cannot be inter-connected.

Second question:

2. Does the mains hook up charge my batteries?

Again a qualified answer is needed.

'Mains' 240v ac cannot be connected directly to the batteries, the batteries can be charged from the 'mains' but the use of a charger is needed.

A multi stage charger is required and one designed for marine use would be the best.

I also would advise Diana to seek advice from an electrician that has knowledge of boat wiring.

I think the word "whilst" is the qualifying word. You can use a hosepipe whilst connected to the mains, would anyone connect one directly to the mains?

I think question 2 has also been answered.

How much knowledge is "enough" to be worthy to ask a question?

Edited by rusty69

What makes me laugh is that she has lived on the boat for 3 years around London and doesn't seam to know her boat that well. Has it Shoreline hook-up? Has it a 240 ring main? Is this the new breed of boater who lives on their boat but actually knows nothing about them? I think I would of got to know the basics within 3 years.

Edited by Northernboater

What makes me laugh is that she has lived on the boat for 3 years around London and doesn't seam to know her boat that well. Has it Shoreline hook-up? Has it a 240 ring main? Is this the new breed of boater who lives on their boat but actually knows nothing about them? I think I would of got to know the basics within 3 years.

If she has been boating for 3 years and not sat in a marina she has probably never needed to lock to see if she has a charger. Just because there are 13 amp outlets doesnt mean there is a charger on board.

Maybe her tech knowledge is not huge and luckily nothing has gone wrong over those 3 years so no questions to ask until now.

We should be encouraging people to take an interest and ask questions about their boats and learn the basics without fear of being put down as that just makes people give up.

• Greenie 1

If she has been boating for 3 years and not sat in a marina she has probably never needed to lock to see if she has a charger. Just because there are 13 amp outlets doesnt mean there is a charger on board.

She says she's been living off grid for 3 years, she may of been using 240v appliances in that time, as I would find it difficult not to use a 240v appliances in that time span so there may be a Inverter/Charger on-board.

I'm sure there will be some boaters in the Marina only too willing to help her with her boat.

But my advice would be to speak to the Marina and get a professional electrician/engineer in to sort your charging system out and when he's there ask him any other queries that you may have concerns with regards to the boat. Like your fire from your previous thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70454

Edited by Northernboater