House windows on a boat - insane?!

WJM

Featured Posts

I have noticed several boats recently that have windows that stick out beyond the gunwales - these boats look like self-fitouts. Are the people who fitted these windows insane?! Boats tend to come close to each other and occasionally touch, one of the reasons we have fenders and rubbing strips. If anything comes in contact with these windows that stick out they will do terrible damage to themselves and to the other boat.

I am surprised there is not something that prevents the use of such completely inappropriate fittings - the BSS? CaRT Regulations? Insurer Stipulations?

Personally I resent this practice of using such fittings. As I squeeze past them I dread wind or current forcing me near to them and causing a totally unnecessary smash!

• Greenie 1

They might be insane, however an individual's own mental health condition may be caused by many different things including being hereditary.

However their behaviour is usually more unpredictable in manners that are more disturbing for them than strangers.

I note you consider how others fit out their own boats to be inappropriate and that you resent that. Are you resenting that you find it inappropriate or that you're considering it?

Personally I'm surprised that the authorities haven't gotten to grips with continuous moorers who are clearly flouting the law in popular haunts and effecting their children's education. I do find that inappropriate behaviour, but I don't think I resent it, yet. Each to their own though.

As for what windows others put on their boat, I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it. My advice to you is not to really get too upset, but should one come too near, you really should avoid standing on the gunwale of your own boat.

For as you describe it these protruding windows may crush your ankles, if you were careless. After all H&S is everybody's personal responsibility.

I wouldn't support the BSS?(BSC?????) CaRT Regulations? Insurer Stipulations? being loaded with such tosh.

Where would it all end?

Increased premiums because of the breaking point of ropes?

Longer, more drawn out safety inspections to encompass whether all on board can swim?

Or maybe to educate people that flinging around questions about mental health issues that could well appear flippant and thoughtless to around 1 in 4 of the general population may well be even more inappropriate.

• Greenie 3

I once looked at a boat for sale at Priory Marina that was a self build based on the hull of a Dolphin cruiser that had burnt down to the gunwales.

The bloke who rebuilt it, post fire, was a double glazing fitter so, from the gunwales up, the boat was made entirely of upvc frames and d/g glass.

It looked like a cross between a greenhouse and a stealth fighter cockpit.

I have noticed several boats recently that have windows that stick out beyond the gunwales - these boats look like self-fitouts. Are the people who fitted these windows insane?! Boats tend to come close to each other and occasionally touch, one of the reasons we have fenders and rubbing strips. If anything comes in contact with these windows that stick out they will do terrible damage to themselves and to the other boat.

I am surprised there is not something that prevents the use of such completely inappropriate fittings - the BSS? CaRT Regulations? Insurer Stipulations?

Personally I resent this practice of using such fittings. As I squeeze past them I dread wind or current forcing me near to them and causing a totally unnecessary smash!

I am finding it hard to imagine windows that stick out beyond the gunwales. Do you mean when they are in the open position? I have seen numerous boats with UPVC type windows, some looked better than others, but I have yet to see one with window frames that stuck out beyond the gunwales.

I wouldn't support the BSS?(BSC?????) CaRT Regulations? Insurer Stipulations? being loaded with such tosh.

BSS is the correct abbreviation for "Boat Safety Scheme"

If you are referring to the actual certificate then that is "BSSC" as in Boat Safety Scheme Certificate.

It is all fully explained on the BSS website.

I am finding it hard to imagine windows that stick out beyond the gunwales. Do you mean when they are in the open position? I have seen numerous boats with UPVC type windows, some looked better than others, but I have yet to see one with window frames that stuck out beyond the gunwales.

House windows that hinge at the top and when open they protrude outside the profile of the boat - just waiting to get smashed if another boat gets close enough.

They must be a nightmare if you actually move the boat in hot weather. All the windows would have to be closed in locks

Darwins windows!

House windows that hinge at the top and when open they protrude outside the profile of the boat - just waiting to get smashed if another boat gets close enough.

They must be a nightmare if you actually move the boat in hot weather. All the windows would have to be closed in locks

Darwins windows!

I see what you mean. If going down that route it would be sensible to limit the opening to a few mm, which rather defeats the object of having them. Could hang up when descending in some locks. Iron Lock on way to Chester springs to mind. That's why they made them open inwards all these years...

Earlier this year I read a book called "And a Right Good Crew" written by an American lady,Emily Kimbourgh who came to England for a Narrowboat holiday in the 1950s and hire from Canal Cruising in Stone. As the boat yard provided a "Boy" to steer the boat one of her jobs was to close the windows before they entered a lock so as not to have the knocked off. There is nothing new.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19286035781

A while ago I seem to remember passing a moored boat that had windows like this and the owner had a fixed a brightly painted stick to the cabin like one of those plastic "arms" you used to see on bicycles to make cars give them room. So one assumes they must have had issues with passing boats.

I've often thought a "tilt and turn" type window would be a good idea on a narrowboat though.

I expect that they take great panes to create their unusual boats.

• Greenie 2

Earlier this year I read a book called "And a Right Good Crew" written by an American lady,Emily Kimbourgh who came to England for a Narrowboat holiday in the 1950s and hire from Canal Cruising in Stone. As the boat yard provided a "Boy" to steer the boat one of her jobs was to close the windows before they entered a lock so as not to have the knocked off. There is nothing new.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19286035781

If all is well, I should have 2 books somewhere that were written by this woman, about her cruises on the first hotel-barge in France named "Palinurus"

These books are : "Floating Island" and "Better than Oceans". Her name is : Emily Kimbrough

Peter.

theres a narrowboat currently moored near me that has a cratch built with conservatory technology, it sticks out in all directions. I hope they're not planning any trips up the Stort.

I can't help but think that some people really wanted a house and are making do.

A House Boat maybe?

• Greenie 1

If all is well, I should have 2 books somewhere that were written by this woman, about her cruises on the first hotel-barge in France named "Palinurus"

These books are : "Floating Island" and "Better than Oceans". Her name is : Emily Kimbrough

Peter.

Yes I have them, She was quite a girl