Barry Jenkins Boat Builder info!

Featured Posts

Hello All,

I've sold my boat and have just put an offer in on another, It needs tonnes of work doing but I loved the inside and it has a brand new Beta Marine engine.

One of the other selling points was it was listed as a 50 foot roger fuller hull, However, after placing my offer I thought i'd better check on the boat listing page and BAM: It's not a Fuller...bugger! Oh well, I still love the boat. Instead its a Barry Jenkins, but I cant find much info on him (in terms of reputation and build quality). I can only see one other topic which was fairly inconclusive so therefore, two questions:

1) Where the heck would they have got the Roger Fuller bit from??? Were they telling porkies!?

2) Does anybody know anything of Barry Jenkins Hulls (apart from what was listed on the short thred I viewd on here)

cant wait to get back on the canal,

thanks,

Pete :-)

Hello All,

I've sold my boat and have just put an offer in on another, It needs tonnes of work doing but I loved the inside and it has a brand new Beta Marine engine.

One of the other selling points was it was listed as a 50 foot roger fuller hull, However, after placing my offer I thought i'd better check on the boat listing page and BAM: It's not a Fuller...bugger! Oh well, I still love the boat. Instead its a Barry Jenkins, but I cant find much info on him (in terms of reputation and build quality). I can only see one other topic which was fairly inconclusive so therefore, two questions:

1) Where the heck would they have got the Roger Fuller bit from??? Were they telling porkies!?

2) Does anybody know anything of Barry Jenkins Hulls (apart from what was listed on the short thred I viewd on here)

cant wait to get back on the canal,

thanks,

Pete :-)

IIRC Barry Jenkins built a boat with a butty stern( Powered) around 60ft in the early 80's ( Named at that time ROSIE )a friend of mine had a similar one built & he fitted it out himself ( Named KESTREL launched in 86 was for sale at Sawley a year or so ago believe now sold)he also built some tug style boats with very low fore ends there was 1 for sale on the Duck 2 months or so ago. At the time of my friends build 84? there was some problem between B Jenkins & the owners of the premises where he built them & we had to get a low loader & crane & bring his boat to beside his garage ( where he fitted it out ) before things went pear shaped & it was locked in & taken as debt payment. I have no idea as to the outcome of this & if he did /did not build any boats after that. Again IIRC the tugs were called the Lincoln Class

Like X Alan W, I think of Barry Jenkins' boats as "Lincoln Tugs" though he may well have built other styles. A few years ago there was one, about a 40-footer, which seemed to go on sale repeatedly. It had fine, low lines and a mid engine room in which dwelled a BMC 1.5.

There was a 2010 CWDF thread entitled 'Barry Jenkins'. It includes a still-working link to a photo of one of his boats called Hornbeam which has the aforementioned low, shapely bow (and consequently a bit of a hump to accommodate the gas bottles).

Oddly, that's the same boat which I found when I followed a link on the abovementioned 2010 thread. There are times when I rally don't understand the machinations of the internet.

I do like the fit-out of that boat as well as the bow shape. For one think, the galley has evidently been designed by someone who actually uses kitchens.

Thanks again for replies, well if that's the standard look of Jenkins boats then this is very inconclusive!!The bow of this boat is way shorter, though it does have a canopy so its hard to tell,and there seems yo be no evidence of the hump either, once I get it in writing that my offer is accepted ill post a pic up if that's allowed!

Looks ideal for harpooning things. smile.png

Ha ha, yes you really should have someone on the bow to shout "thar she blows!"

Actually I quite like the look, at least from the angle of the photo. It's often the case though that a fine looking boat from one angle looks like it's had a good seeing to with the ugly stick from a different viewpoint.

There's a Barry Jenkins boat listed on AD at the moment, if that is typical of his style it's hard to see how anyone could confuse it with a Roger Fuller.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=495186

I passed one like that today with that long snout and one yesterday both on the Middlewich Arm

Thanks again for replies, well if that's the standard look of Jenkins boats then this is very inconclusive!!The bow of this boat is way shorter, though it does have a canopy so its hard to tell,and there seems yo be no evidence of the hump either, once I get it in writing that my offer is accepted ill post a pic up if that's allowed!

The boat my friend had built looked nothing like the Tug fore end it looked similar to a SOT hull fore end with a more raked stem post.

Picture of a aforementioned boat!! :-)

post-24204-0-47738500-1477288112_thumb.jpg

Right, I've made some progress... It definitely isn't a 'Fuller' boat as the boat was built in 1984 and a text i've found on 'Fuller' boats states:

'Roger Fuller started building boats in the Summer of 1985. The first boat ANNA was 37ft in length and fitted with back cabin and Lister HR2.'

So that's that, but I wonder what it is. perhaps it definitely is a 'Jenkins'.

There's a Barry Jenkins boat listed on AD at the moment, if that is typical of his style it's hard to see how anyone could confuse it with a Roger Fuller.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=495186

Blimey that looks a real "lock gate lifter" doesn't it?

A bow shape to avoid, I would suggest!

495186_1.jpg?1477193458

attachicon.gifarwen.jpg

Right, I've made some progress... It definitely isn't a 'Fuller' boat as the boat was built in 1984 and a text i've found on 'Fuller' boats states:

'Roger Fuller started building boats in the Summer of 1985. The first boat ANNA was 37ft in length and fitted with back cabin and Lister HR2.'

But if you can't trust the seller on who the builder is, can you trust them on the date of build either?

It doesn't look like Roger Fuller built it under his own name, but maybe Roger fabricated for someone else before setting up on his own. If you were to contact him, I'm sure he would tell you if he had a connection with this boat.

It seems expensive to me for a boat of that age, and currently indeterminate builder. I note the 6/6/3 steel spec, and it seems to me that even in 1984 a 3mm cabin top and roof seems a bit on the thin side. It it straight and free of any obvious large dents and ripples?

(This boat is NOT however a Springer!).

PS.If the description is correct in saying 240V "Yes", but Inverter "No" then you will only have 240V if you are tied up at a mooring with a shore line available, but I expect you will know that.

attachicon.gifarwen.jpg

That looks a lot like an early Colecraft to me.

Blimey that looks a real "lock gate lifter" doesn't it?

A bow shape to avoid, I would suggest!

495186_1.jpg?1477193458

...but also to be admired if it's someone else's boat (though this one would perhaps have looked better with portholes).

But if you can't trust the seller on who the builder is, can you trust them on the date of build either?

It doesn't look like Roger Fuller built it under his own name, but maybe Roger fabricated for someone else before setting up on his own. If you were to contact him, I'm sure he would tell you if he had a connection with this boat.

It seems expensive to me for a boat of that age, and currently indeterminate builder. I note the 6/6/3 steel spec, and it seems to me that even in 1984 a 3mm cabin top and roof seems a bit on the thin side. It it straight and free of any obvious large dents and ripples?

(This boat is NOT however a Springer!).

PS.If the description is correct in saying 240V "Yes", but Inverter "No" then you will only have 240V if you are tied up at a mooring with a shore line available, but I expect you will know that.

Well alot of the money in the boat comes from the brand new beta engine I believe, or at least this is what I had in mind when buying, it is also incredibly tatty now but I did just fall in love with it and it had all the features I wanted, I did also negotiate on the price a fair amount too.

I also did a little digging and i'm in no doubt that the owner wholeheartedly believed it was a 'Fuller' because it was sold to her as one from Whilton in 2012, Looking at the boat listing page on canal plan before that it was always a 'known' Barry Jenkins.

Something similar to that occured with the boat i've just sold-in my profile pic (that is never in a million years an Alvechurch) more like a liverpool or Hancock and Lane but was sold to its previous owner from whilton in 2010 as Alvechurch :-S which I found a little confusing.

I'm guessing this sort of thing happens alot with digging out the mysteries of the true boat builders of a craft!?

And Thankyou for the heads up on the inverter, though living on my old boat last year the first thing I did was remove the inverter to paint behind and then lived off the 12volt system, it never went back up, however I did make it super efficient with every 12volt appliance I could find, something I may have to repeat again me-thinks :-)

...but also to be admired if it's someone else's boat (though this one would perhaps have looked better with portholes).

Well it is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I am not a fan of quirky boats, and prefer practicality over being unnecessarily different. To me that is neither attractive, nor practical, and is at greater risk of damaging things than is necessary.

This on the other hand....

IMG_0907.jpg

As for dents and ripples, despite the plate spec, once on it does feel very sturdy and solid in comparison to alot of boats i've been on that have that 'tin can' feel.

OK,

I'm sorry if my post came across as too negative, and obviously a brand new engine adds to the appeal, (says he who is spending a small fortune having a 1962 engine fully rebuilt!). It sounds like you are together enough to know what you are doing, so I wish you luck with it.

I don't know Roger Fuller well, but I would still have thought if you contacted him he would tell you whether he ever had any involvement in it.

Ah no not negative at all, it perhaps isn't deal of the century, it just suited, though I did see the fuller label and jump at it so will probably mention it to the broker.

I've found a number on his old website actually I may well try but i'm having serious doubts about him having anything to do with it, looking at some of his creations this one just doesn't seem in the same league. Thinking when it suddenly jumped to being a 'fuller' when it was sold it 2012 somebody may have been having a giggle!