powering a washing machine ?

colin1325

Featured Posts

I bought one of these in September. It was £75.99 then. Very pleased with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122063477704?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As these good machines aren't made in the UK, they have to be imported and the more than 30% higher price now (possibly going up even more) is mainly due to the Sterling losing it's value.

Peter.

We have an Indesit washer and the only way it will run is through the Mastervolt Mass Combi inverter with engine on and I do mean the only way. I have bypassed the inverter and plugged the washer straight to the pontoon electric supply and it still wont run. I suspect the machine is faulty but is too much of a pain to replace..

My Indesit washer runs fine through a 2kw Victron inverter without the engine running as long as it is on the cold wash cycle. To warm the wash water I simply put about 4 ltrs of hot water into the drum from a jug to begin then let it run.

My Indesit washer runs fine through a 2kw Victron inverter without the engine running as long as it is on the cold wash cycle. To warm the wash water I simply put about 4 ltrs of hot water into the drum from a jug to begin then let it run.

Yes..... we do the same, coolest setting and adding hot/warm by hand. The machine can dry but we have never used it for that.

Yes..... we do the same, coolest setting and adding hot/warm by hand. The machine can dry but we have never used it for that.

Without wishing to sound critical , i just don t get this . I have a cheap twin tub . its performance is way beyond what one might initially think when looking at it .

If u have a " proper" washing machine that you fill with water yourself then its the same as my cheapy except i actually can and fo use the drier . Even if i handwash something it still goes thru the dryer as it performs so well .

It seems to me that folk want " a built in washing machine "'so its like at home and this need is driven by aeshetics .

I don t get it all . My twin tub cost virtually bugger all . No hassles , sits in the engine room when not used so not wasting otherwise usable space , sits on the front deck when used ( or shower tray ) so no power used to drain it .

Theyre just completely pukka and i expect folk dont like them cos they look cheap ..... which they are !

This isn t a criticism of other peoples opinions but with so much else that has the potential to cause strife on a boat why have anything more complicated ?

• Greenie 1

Without wishing to sound critical , i just don t get this . I have a cheap twin tub . its performance is way beyond what one might initially think when looking at it .

If u have a " proper" washing machine that you fill with water yourself then its the same as my cheapy except i actually can and fo use the drier . Even if i handwash something it still goes thru the dryer as it performs so well .

It seems to me that folk want " a built in washing machine "'so its like at home and this need is driven by aeshetics .

I don t get it all . My twin tub cost virtually bugger all . No hassles , sits in the engine room when not used so not wasting otherwise usable space , sits on the front deck when used ( or shower tray ) so no power used to drain it .

Theyre just completely pukka and i expect folk dont like them cos they look cheap ..... which they are !

This isn t a criticism of other peoples opinions but with so much else that has the potential to cause strife on a boat why have anything more complicated ?

Can only agree - we are very impressed with the performance of ours.

You're not sounding critical.

The boat was second hand with the washer already fitted .. I personally would go the cheapo twin tub route but for the fact it will be a pain to get the washer out. We are ok with using it how it is at the moment.

I also know of many of boats where the domestic washers work perfectly.

I inherited a brand new, unused washer dryer with my boat, out of warranty I hasten to add. It never did work, either as a washer or dryer, on the Mastervolt 2500 inverter or on shore supply. The power light came on, after that nothing. I checked everything I could to the point that I knew the first hour of a proper engineer (grrr!) coming to look at it would be wasted, then junked it as I couldn't see the money spent sorting it would be good value even if it worked. I had to take the thing down to component parts in the galley to get the thing out, so I couldn't even give it away! What does that bring to the table? Not sure, except to say that I am still considering one of those twin tubs!

Just for clarity, the only manual filling required is a jug of warm water at the start if you want a warm wash (although I'm convinced a cold wash is equally effective). After that, close the door and let the machine fill with cold and run through the programme as normal. It takes a few seconds to chuck in a jug of hot water.

Could Twin tub V washer dryer become the next pumpout V cassette ?

i didn t realise you could just use a little hot water and the fill the machine as normal .

Anyway , no harm meant by my comments i just thought id comment further on my chosen option .

Twin tubs are such an old fashioned idea that i suspect thier very existance is possibly under the radar for lots of folk . I certainly had no reason tjo know of them until i lived aboard and watching my power and water consumption became very relevant .

Definately worth bearing in mind i think

cheers

Mrs Hound reckons that our cheap plastic twin tub cleans more effectively than the expensive built in machine in the house.

Her only issue with it is that it require her or me to become the "programmer" to add/remove hot/cold water and to move clothes from one drum to the other.

I am currently on my second candy washing machine in just over 13 years, both were second hand so as usual I didn't pay full price. For me they are great, I load it up every night and when full, turn it on, dimples.

The water is taken straight from the calorifior, so if I have ran the engine the night before its still hot enough or I can start the engine to get it warmer.

My investor is 3kw, but I have ran it off much less, as long as its a pure sine wave one. If the batteries are up, I do not need to run the engine at all.

I have a large water tank, and it uses very little water. I don't have a generator so use my engine.

Just for clarity, the only manual filling required is a jug of warm water at the start if you want a warm wash (although I'm convinced a cold wash is equally effective). After that, close the door and let the machine fill with cold and run through the programme as normal. It takes a few seconds to chuck in a jug of hot water.

That is what we do, dead simple. I do know people who have the twin tub ones though, and they are very good indeed. If our Candy dies, it is a possibility that we would go for one of the twin tub type. We then wouldn't need such a big inverter when that eventually dies either.

As an aside, anybody tried these twin tubs off a "normal" (as opposed to inverter) genny? If so, do they behave well on them?

Our Candy runs like a bag of spanners off our genny, which was a major disappointment.

Could Twin tub V washer dryer become the next pumpout V cassette ?

i didn t realise you could just use a little hot water and the fill the machine as normal .

Anyway , no harm meant by my comments i just thought id comment further on my chosen option .

Twin tubs are such an old fashioned idea that i suspect thier very existance is possibly under the radar for lots of folk . I certainly had no reason tjo know of them until i lived aboard and watching my power and water consumption became very relevant .

Definately worth bearing in mind i think

cheers

Some machines will accept manually added hot water from the start, some spit their dummy out. I don't know whcih machines do and don't, but our now old Candy 1000 will let you add hot water manually. Great machine(except it needs a pure sine wave, nothing less.)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I have one at home and can recommend them, especially in the winter where all that heat is retained in the room without the moisture.

For a tumble drier with very low power consumption there is this type:

https://whiteknightdryers.com/shop/white-knight-eco43a-gas-dryer/

Not sure if you can get the jets for propane, but I don't see why not.

I have one at home and can recommend them, especially in the winter where all that heat is retained in the room without the moisture.

For a tumble drier with very low power consumption there is this type:

https://whiteknightdryers.com/shop/white-knight-eco43a-gas-dryer/

Not sure if you can get the jets for propane, but I don't see why not.

Not necessary. See

https://whiteknightdryers.com/shop/white-knight-eco86lpg-gas-tumble-dryer/