powering a washing machine ?

colin1325

Featured Posts

First Choice is a TravelPower but if you don't already have one they are very expensive.

Second Choice is probably a Generator.

Another option is a very big inverter. This will need good baterries and hefty cables and ideally a fairly big alternator and it may be wise to have the engine running whilst the washing machine is on.

Probably cant run the drier too much with third option.

..............Dave

We have:

Washer dryer, supplied by a 7kw generator, works OK detective.gif

Never used the dryer bit in 7 years.

It will not be only the need for electricity but a whole lot of water for the wash and even more if it is a condensing dryer. frusty.gif

hi other than marina hookup what other way can u run a w/m t/d cheers

Depending on the boat you intend using the kit on then Travel power is a great bit of kit and can be retro fitted onto such as beta and Isuzu engines. Ours runs with ease the washer or tumble dryer though we rarely bother with the tumble dryer.

Tim

thanx for answers

washer, mine is hooked up to the hot water feed from the tank, i ensure i heat the water before running the washer via my 800 watt invertor.

No problems so far, not sure i would want to try a tumble dryer though!

hi i did think that would might b an option cheers colin

Hi

Our washer has a blending valve fitted that draws the water at 40 degrees this limits the use of the heating element (this is VERY important according to OH ..he who knows about these things) and I am only able to put it on when the water has heated from the engine.The washer runs off our inverter when we are running but I am only allowed to use it when it is a day with not many locks . To dry I use a clothes rack in the front cratch or put it by the fire or even stood in the bath with the radiator on. I wouldn't be without it even though we don't CC,in the summer it was really hot when we were doing our longish trip and I did 3 loads !

There is another option for consideration :

A 'Twin-Tub'

It uses a fraction of the water an auto washing machine uses & it uses a fraction of the power that an auto washing machine uses.

The washing comes out of the spin cycle dryer than an 'auto' and is almost ready for ironing (if you bother with that)

Without real mains the general washing machine is a difficult load to power. Some auto washers will simply not work, some will. The usual problems involve poor waveform, poor voltage regulation and poor mains frequency stability, each can vary with load and a washer will have varying load during the cycle. A big generator -say 6KW or more, is a good start.

We have:

Washer dryer, supplied by a 7kw generator, works OK :detective:

Never used the dryer bit in 7 years.

It will not be only the need for electricity but a whole lot of water for the wash and even more if it is a condensing dryer. :banghead:

It is possible to get condensing tumble dryers that use air, rather than water to condense the moisture out of the exhaust. This one for example:

http://ao.com/product/dcur801w-beko-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-36583-18.aspx?&WT.z_PT=MDA&WT.z_AT=tumble%20dryers%20condenser&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_RTM=PLA&WT.z_MAT=Beko&WT.z_DT=t&WT.z_FT=Free%20Standing&WT.z_PC=DCUR801W_WH&WT.srch=1&wt.z_cn=MDA%20-%20Tumble%20Dryers%20-%20Gen&wt.z_ag=type%20generic&wt.z_kw=DCUR801W_WH&gclid=CjwKEAjw-abABRDquOTJi8qdojwSJABt1S1OsTT9Va5Fdg0SDEisz6VXHaxDuHuIZIjozEFv83phxRoCyHXw_wcB

Without real mains the general washing machine is a difficult load to power. Some auto washers will simply not work, some will. The usual problems involve poor waveform, poor voltage regulation and poor mains frequency stability, each can vary with load and a washer will have varying load during the cycle. A big generator -say 6KW or more, is a good start.

Our Candy will not run directly off our genny. Probably be OK on an inverter genny. We run it off a pure sine wave inverter without problem.

I can honestly say that my whirlpool awe6761 runs perfect off a victron 800 watt invertor, water supplied from hot water tank with no problems for the last 6 months.

I do run the engine though whilst I have it running, and only use a 15 minute wash.

It's a top loader and only 40cm wide and 60cm deep so fits nicely at the end of the kitchen.

Whirlpool did not pay me for this endorsement, although it would be great if they did!

Agree with Mr de Enfield - Twin tub every time for me . Cheap as chips , no plumbing needed as i just use it in the shower try or on the front deck . Low water usage , low power usage , never need to run the engine as solar puts back the small amount of power used & clothes come out of the spin dryer virtually dry .

. When it eventually fails it ll go to the tip and will be replaced with no need to pull apart cabin fittings etc to get the old one out etc . Totally hassle free & completely ideal on my boat

Agree with Mr de Enfield - Twin tub every time for me . Cheap as chips , no plumbing needed as i just use it in the shower try or on the front deck . Low water usage , low power usage , never need to run the engine as solar puts back the small amount of power used & clothes come out of the spin dryer virtually dry .

. When it eventually fails it ll go to the tip and will be replaced with no need to pull apart cabin fittings etc to get the old one out etc . Totally hassle free & completely ideal on my boat

We have an Indesit washer and the only way it will run is through the Mastervolt Mass Combi inverter with engine on and I do mean the only way. I have bypassed the inverter and plugged the washer straight to the pontoon electric supply and it still wont run. I suspect the machine is faulty but is too much of a pain to replace..

Possible the most informative posts on this topic would be a simple list of the exact model of washing machine that each person manages to run off which exact model of inverter, with notes where needed -warm water fill etc!

Enough threads have been dedicated to what washing machines don't run off assorted power supplies. It's likely that the makers have no thought whatever that their machines will be run in boats or even just off grid. UK grid power is usually very good for volts, waveform and frequency which machine designers probably assume will exist everywhere.