Wi Fi Aerial

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

Quick question please. I live in a notorious blank spot for any kind of fone/wi fi signal but intend to try to get some signal on to the boat. My question is does anyone know of some sort of an aerial I can buy that may capture and boost into my boat so say a mi fi could pick the signal up?

Any specific makes and models info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Peeps

Quick question please. I live in a notorious blank spot for any kind of fone/wi fi signal but intend to try to get some signal on to the boat. My question is does anyone know of some sort of an aerial I can buy that may capture and boost into my boat so say a mi fi could pick the signal up?

Any specific makes and models info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

It all depends on if your mi-fi has an external aerial socket.

Does it have one (Or what make/model is it)

I have installed a kit from WIFI on Board.

http://www.wifionboard.co.uk/product-category/canal-boat-wifi/

Not cheap, but works brilliantly, External Ariel with magnetic base, 3/4g, 15/30MB down load in most areas I have traveld.

Easy install, battery back-up on router so don't lose config details and still works if voltage drops below 12v.

I am aware you can but router Hawii and Ariel separately and probably save some money, the guy that runs WIFI on Board provides great back -up service, IMO, the support he provides is worth the extra £.

As with all technology nowadays, 'we' need more information at least for the mifi - you can't attach an aerial to a mobile phone and only to some makes of MiFi.

Whoops too late....

You can do it for a lot less than the above -

some models of Huawei MiFi have a socket and can be bought from ebay as well as inexpensive aerials. I've done both.

Tell us what you expect and lots of replies will follow....

Edited by OldGoat

Thanks peeps so far

At present I have bought nothing as I want to find the best route possible. Here at Lower Heyford the entire range of mobile signals are horrendous. I think I need to buy a new mi fi and an aerial, I am not tied to any service provider so all ideas will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

In June I bought a HUAWEI E5776s-32 4G 150Mbps LTE router,for £88 . This has an aerial socket into which I plugged a LTE 4G aerial which cost me a further £18. All from supertrade-shop on e bay. I have fitted a 3 data sim pre loaded with 12Gb. This set up has worked brilliantly in known black spots like Braunston, Crick and Sutton Cheney. I had to add magnetic tape to the aerial to make a mag mount.

Top Cat

Tim,

I'm guilty of not checking who created this thread.

Yes, LH is a bit of a dead spot - strange to my mind as we always get good signals near a railway line - and yours is very near....

So don't spend a lot of dosh in case it's a disaster.

I could / would lend you a 3g version which I don't use, just to try. I'll come back later after I've had a look around

Mike

Hi Tim

As you know we were near your location recently and with twin aerials mounted on cabin top to the mi-fi inside, we got diddly squat.

Always been the same. phone is the same never get a signal.

ps. on EE.

You could always set up your own wi-fi system as per marinas, from your 'other location' (settee) believe you had a signal there and have a Yagi type aerial at the boat, ain't going to be cheap though.

Have a look here, to give some idea: http://www.solwise.co.uk/index.html

Hi all

Thanks peeps for all your input. I think I am going to be stuffed here as the location is and always has been awful but wondered if it were possible. Praps I will try to tag onto my " other location " as Keith suggests.

Cheers

Tim

mrsmelly, on 21 Oct 2016 - 2:06 PM, said:

Hi all

Thanks peeps for all your input. I think I am going to be stuffed here as the location is and always has been awful but wondered if it were possible. Praps I will try to tag onto my " other location " as Keith suggests.

Cheers

Tim

Oh Poo (just done some research) - but understandable in the circumstances.

You'll need to boost the 'other' signal as well as some wifi apparatus in your usual location. Neither of which are in my sphere of knolwege...

Thanks peeps so far

At present I have bought nothing as I want to find the best route possible. Here at Lower Heyford the entire range of mobile signals are horrendous. I think I need to buy a new mi fi and an aerial, I am not tied to any service provider so all ideas will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

The problem Tim is essentially no aerial can boost a signal that isn't there in the first place, so if the signal is pretty non existent you will probably be wasting money. An aerial will help gather a signal that is 'below par' outside the boat and carry it inside down the lead to the mi-fi but it can't receive something that just isn't there.

Just a thought can you get a signal on your phone outside the boat with the phone held a few inches above roof level? Thats a no cost way of stimulating the aerial option. If you can drag in a bar or two like that then an aerial might help. But as Martin says if there aint no signal an aerial wont help.

You might have more luck with a different supplier, can neighbours give you any info?

Top, Cat

Just a thought can you get a signal on your phone outside the boat with the phone held a few inches above roof level? Thats a no cost way of stimulating the aerial option. If you can drag in a bar or two like that then an aerial might help. But as Martin says if there aint no signal an aerial wont help.

You might have more luck with a different supplier, can neighbours give you any info?

Top, Cat

Knowing the area I very much doubt it.

I've got a solwise exterior omni directional aerial mounted on a mast that goes up and down. Connected to a 4g router inside the boat works a treat. When I get to the boat I take out my unlimited 3 sim out of my phone and it works all ok.

In the location referred to in the original post?

No I'm not in the same location as the op but where my boat is my phone outside gets no 3 or 4g signal at all but the aerial router combination picks up a good 3G signal.

Ah right...;)

Choosing the right network provider also plays a big part of it. Check all the big providers for their coverage in your area, they may differ significantly. I just have a Huawei mifi router attached to a porthole and I regularly get "4G" 40mbps download speeds, which is pretty good considering my nearest populated area is a small village! I am with EE but as I say, always check coverage with each supplier.

Thanks again to all. As a result I had a friend bring his rather large proper aerial jobby with his mi fi jobby etc to the boat and even mounted on a pole we got diddly squat and tried 3 different service providers to boot. So it seems that in 2016 there are still areas in middle England and one of the wealthiest areas of the uk were a signal does not exist!! My first fone in 1989 on analogue was better than this stuff today!! Hey ho it doesnt matter its not life and death and I will have to see less of Mr google this weekend.

Thanks all.

Tim

I can usually get a signal on 3 down your way, but it definitely requires extreme measures - phone on a pole at least 10ft above cabin top (on a long usb cable tethered to a router in the cratch). As others have said, O2 seems to be the only signal readily available at normal height.

I'm probably coming down next week, unless the attractions of Aynho prove too sticky....

Dave

I can usually get a signal on 3 down your way, but it definitely requires extreme measures - phone on a pole at least 10ft above cabin top (on a long usb cable tethered to a router in the cratch). As others have said, O2 seems to be the only signal readily available at normal height.

I'm probably coming down next week, unless the attractions of Aynho prove too sticky....

Dave

Hellooo

Yes I can get o2 fone reception in the boat but tinternet is just crap, is it on some other system?

Tim

Possibly, check the indicators on your phone to see what its receiving - look for something like 2G, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, H, H+, 4G, LTE etc. That will tell you what sort of data rate to expect. The first three are all pants, and get progressively better through the list. Voice calls are of acceptable quality even with the crappiest signal in the list.

Your major problem is that because you're right down in the valley the 02 transmitters (at the old airbase and south of Tackley Wood) are hidden from you because of intervening high ground.

Hellooo

Yes I can get o2 fone reception in the boat but tinternet is just crap, is it on some other system?

Tim

This is quite common in weak signal areas. By coincidence we are away in the van in the Dales at the moment and I have got the exact same issue. Phone working perfect for speech but Internet is dire. It's the first time in ages we have had this on EE too. Edited by MJG