Canal Maintenance

grimec

Featured Posts

My canal charity uses an elderly JCB JS 160 to empty our barges full of canal vegetation onto a bankside area for recycling and occasional burning. I am an experienced electrical engineer and have been asked to fix some electrical problems but I have very little operational experience of this vehicle and am looking for someone who has driven one, or something similar. My immediate problem concerns the operation of the starter switch which appears to be faulty. Are the wires from the switch fed through a fuse box for example before they are connected to the starter solenoid and the alternator?

All advice would be appreciated

grimec

Do you know the approx age of the machine, as this will give some indication of the setup?

Although my speciality is the mechanical side and the telescopic 'Loadall' products, I have plenty of contacts within JCB if you are having problems.

Daniel

The machine is dated 1993 with a serial number of 701322 and is a long crawler (LC). I have obtained a schematic diagram from a JCB agent which has helped considerably but there is hearsay evidence from other members that the wiring has undergone modification over the years by various "experts". There is some doubt that the electronic controller still works and the throttle control is now manual rather than the original stepper motor. There is evidence of mice in the cab with droppings seen on the drivers seat!

With all due respect, if the wiring has been er, expertly modified ;) at some stage then it's unlikely any of us can help - it'll be a case of tracing the wiring to see where it goes.

I came across something similar on a friend's caravan when we lifted a seat to find out why his water tank gauge wasn't working - a rats nest of orange wires connected with chock block to feed some auxiliary circuits that were no longer present. After a couple of hours putting everything back to how it was originally built it all then worked as expected.

After further examination it is clear that non operation of the starter is only a small part of my problems. I shall take the advice of the previous post and undertake a documented thorough rewire.

It seems fellow volunteers have been operating this JCB without any warning lamps or other indications for months if not years.

If anyone knows of any interlocks that this machine should have eg. seat switch, controls in neutral etc then I would be most grateful to hear, otherwise I shall close this thread down.