Help moving boat

Kev Leaper

Featured Posts

Hi

Sorry to have just joined the forum and my first post is help needed, but I've got myself in a dilemma (of my own making).

I've bought a boat, 27ft Dalescraft needing TLC, in Lincoln. I naively thought I could fix it and sail it back to the Nene where I'd like to moor it. Well the fixing was okay, just some wiring and a core plug to get it running, but now I've looked into moving it, it looks a bit daunting. It's my first boat and taking it onto the tidal Trent on my own sounds like a bad idea now I've read what's involved. So I need to get it moved by road, which means either buy a trailer and load it (something I've not done before), hire a trailer(?) or find someone to move it. Any pointers to a solution would be most welcome. I can handle sarcasm, but be gentle, I'm still hurting a bit from buying on impulse.

Thanks Kev

To be honest the tidal tent from Torksey up to Cromwell is pretty tame. You can moor up on the pontoons below the lock (on the river) and wait for the tide to turn, then head off and you'll be in the lock at Cromwell (i.e. coming off the tidal bit) in a few hours. You'll likely have just a couple of mph of following current max, unless there is a lot of fresh water coming down in which case maybe it is best avoided.

Edited by nicknorman

Timescale is openish, but the sooner the better as the current mooring runs out at the end of the month. Engine is a BMC 1500 which now runs, sounds okay and doesn't seem to smoke when warm. I restore classic cars as a hobby so I'm happy enough with the mechanicals of the boat. I really like the idea of sailing it back as I'd learn a lot on the way, but dealing with locks single handed without any experience is playing on my mind now I've read the canal trust boaters handbook.

As well as hauling overland there are a couple of professional boat movers on here who will move your boat by water. There's also at least one forum member who has accompanied newbies on their maiden voyage for the cost of feeding him during the trip.

I think he means me, I recently did a similar trip to get hackenbush from March to Denham via the Nene and the GU. Much as I enjoyed it, I told myself that after a summer of canal trips I must spend at least a week at home getting on top of boring stuff like admin, autumn digging of my vegetable garden, more admin, DIY etc. But I could talk myself into another canal trip soon.

Lincoln to Northampton (via the Trent, Soar, Leicester Arm, Northampton Arm) would be nine 7 hour days, then you need up to four more days depending on how far down the Nene you're going. I'm assuming of course that this Dalescraft thing will fit in the locks, i.e. is narrow beam; it looks like it is in pictures I've seen.

I haven't been on the Trent below Nottingham, but have some river experience on the Trent, Thames and Nene and would feel confident enough to do this trip provided that the Trent and Soar are behaving themselves, not in flood. Having lifejackets and an anchor aboard would be a good idea.

There is an alternative route via the T&M, Coventry and North Oxford which avoids the River Soar, but it takes longer and there's a stoppage scheduled at Burton for 7-14 November.

You would either need to reach Northampton by 7th November, or find your boat stuck behind a stoppage until mid December. CRT's winter stoppages (South East area) lists two locks on the Buckby flight and two on the Northampton Arm as closed from 7th November to 13th or 16th December.

Diesel, my food and sundry costs should work out a fair bit cheaper than haulage even for such a short boat, so basically it's a question of whether you have the time available to do a DIY move and see it like I do as fun, or would rather pay for haulage.

Thanks for all the replies, especially the offer of guiding me back. It's an exciting option and something I need to think through. The boat is narrow beam and does have an anchor but it's a bit of a mess inside and I've no idea if things like the cooker/fridge etc work at the moment. Can I contact you tomorrow Peter for a quick chat about it?

I must say what a nice bunch of helpful answers - I think I'm going to like boating.

Cheers

Kev