'Marina fined' rumour

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

Why am I not particularly surprised that Andrew Denny has started this thread, then 50 posts later chosen not to enter into it again (yet)?

As he has posted only a dozen times in several years of membership, it shouldn't come as a surprise at all. He'll be about due for another one next spring.

I'm sorry I've not been able to read or reply to all the answers in this thread in the last week. I was having problems understanding how to reply to individual comments. While ten years ago I thought I knew how to do it, after several years ago I seem to have forgotten.

For reference, someone I know (and whose opinion I respect) mentioned the issue. I'm not 'trying to start a rumour', I heard their comment, and I wondered if it was true or more widely known. Clearly not, not on CWF anyway.

But for reference, some marinas now have arrangements with local authorities where the boats have to move their mooring within the marina regularly (a couple of times a year perhaps), to ensure they don't 'put down roots' and to take advantage of low council tax rates among other things. The 'rumour' was that the marina had been hit with a heavy surcharge or fine or something. I'm not going to go into legal terminology like hereditaments etc.

I'm sorry I've not been able to read or reply to all the answers in this thread in the last week. I was having problems understanding how to reply to individual comments. While ten years ago I thought I knew how to do it, after several years ago I seem to have forgotten.

For reference, someone I know (and whose opinion I respect) mentioned the issue. I'm not 'trying to start a rumour', I heard their comment, and I wondered if it was true or more widely known. Clearly not, not on CWF anyway.

But for reference, some marinas now have arrangements with local authorities where the boats have to move their mooring within the marina regularly (a couple of times a year perhaps), to ensure they don't 'put down roots' and to take advantage of low council tax rates among other things. The 'rumour' was that the marina had been hit with a heavy surcharge or fine or something. I'm not going to go into legal terminology like hereditaments etc.

Its also possible that a CWDF reader knows a lot more about the situation, but is cautious to share and doesn't appreciate their posts being copied & pasted then appearing in a news article elsewhere on the internet. In other words, people are a bit wary of journalists using forums as information sources for their upcoming articles.

• Greenie 1

There has been some activity of a legal nature recently at Saul Junction Marina concerning boaters allegedly using moorings for residential purposes..

This activity seems to have been prompted by complaints, quite possibly from boaters:

From the "Dark Side", August 2015:

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/8305-too-many-residentials

Subsequently in the local press June 2016:

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/complaints-prompt-clampdown-boaters-overstaying/story-29299775-detail/story.html

I don't know whether this has resulted in any fines being levied.

Edited by PaulG

Interesting to note that it is the boaters being questioned and not the marina

“We have asked boat owners to complete a planning contravention notice, which is a short questionnaire, on their permanent address status, so that we can identify any issues we may need to act upon"
I am GUESSING that if the Marina have made clear in their T&Cs that Residential use is not allowed, then the onus is on the 'residents' to prove they have an alternative 'primary residential address'.
Little wonder then that the various Marinas are getting a bit 'tighter' with their T&Cs
Maybe the days of 'keeping your head down' are coming to an end.
Edited by Alan de Enfield

Back to square one then. Keep your head down, don't plant a garden/erect a shed/keep piles of stuff on the towpath/pontoon and tell lies about your address as necessary. Just as its always been but nowadays it costs more.

What happens if you live on your boat but use your home mooring leisurely? I'm hardly at my home mooring these days and I presume others are in a similar position.

That's not allowed, you're supposed to fit into a tidy tick box judge.gif

That is a serious question though, because whatever some LA's would like, planning consent goes with the land, and even if you live on your boat that does not mean that you live where you have moored it, at least not in planning terms.

I also suggest some local authorities are going to wish they hadn't done this when dozens of boaters turn up on their housing list...

My personal suspicion is that several councils have acquired people on their care list who have never paid council tax and with the reducing government subsidies have to fund people's care from somewhere, so they are looking at where people hide for no council tax before going ashore to a care home at council expense. With "care" starting at £1000 per month now and people with no funds getting care at the council's expense, councils will need to find the money from somewhere.

My personal suspicion is that several councils have acquired people on their care list who have never paid council tax and with the reducing government subsidies have to fund people's care from somewhere, so they are looking at where people hide for no council tax before going ashore to a care home at council expense. With "care" starting at £1000 per month now and people with no funds getting care at the council's expense, councils will need to find the money from somewhere.

Care costs at £1000 per month?

More like £1000 per week.

Bod

• Greenie 1

It was either very posh or your dad needed lots of care in which case he has my full sympathy. £500-£600 a week seems average in north east derbyshire.

I'm in Hampshire, £1000 per week is cheap for normal care, nursing care starts at £1400 a week.

Local Authority rates are about £600 p/w, you make up the difference, or wait for a place to be available, in a Home that accepts LA rates.

Bod

(Whose father is in care, and MiL soon may be.)

Sorry this is going off topic.

But is a good example of Council budget problems.

Councils have a legal obligation to provide Care for those who need it.

Council income has to rise to cover this, and other obligations.

The old idea of "Poll tax" where every body paid something, was rejected. So now Councils are having to seek out the "freeloaders" to help pay for what society demands.

Edited by Bod

It was either very posh or your dad needed lots of care in which case he has my full sympathy. £500-£600 a week seems average in north east derbyshire.

The new care home which has opened at Burton Waters is close to £3k per week for full time care!!!

https://www.barchester.com/home/tennyson-wharf-care-home

Edited by Naughty Cal

I was thinking that too.

My Dad's care home was £1250 a week.

It's amazing you could book a very very nice hotel room service excellent meals, or indeed go continually cruising around the world for 1/2 that!! Meals drinks included with wake up call and cleaning all sorted.

Let's not forget free drinks and entertainment.

And I bet you won't get a nurse beating you up, unless you pay her for it

It's amazing you could book a very very nice hotel room service excellent meals, or indeed go continually cruising around the world for 1/2 that!! Meals drinks included with wake up call and cleaning all sorted.

Let's not forget free drinks and entertainment.

And I bet you won't get a nurse beating you up, unless you pay her for it

Was just thinking the same.

Just come back from a very pleasant 17 night trip in a nice balcony cabin with one of the posher cruise lines and it came in at less than a grand a week per person, including seriously good meals anytime I wanted, and including the bar bill.

Was just thinking the same.

Just come back from a very pleasant 17 night trip in a nice balcony cabin with one of the posher cruise lines and it came in at less than a grand a week per person, including seriously good meals anytime I wanted, and including the bar bill.

I know very little about this, I'm relieved to say, but I'd have expected there to be more nursing involved in a care home than in a hotel or on a regular cruise. I'm not suggesting that nursing homes represent excellent value necessarily, although it would be lovely to know that they did, but we're not really comparing like with like, are we?

I know very little about this, I'm relieved to say, but I'd have expected there to be more nursing involved in a care home than in a hotel or on a regular cruise. I'm not suggesting that nursing homes represent excellent value necessarily, although it would be lovely to know that they did, but we're not really comparing like with like, are we?

If its above routine it normally costs extra

There are care homes and nursing homes.

A care home will seldom have qualified nursing staff on the premises.

Many card home residents would manage just fine on a cruise.

You don't even have to spend cruise money;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562763/Pensioners-lived-in-a-Travelodge-for-22-years.html