What Oven!?

Featured Posts

I'd avoid the boat/caravan versions if you can find a domestic one with appropriate flame failure devices that will fit. It must be able to pass BSS.

We have a Thetford / Spinflo and it's pretty rubbish to be honest. You have a hot bit and a cold bit, so cooking two things is difficult. An extra shelf mitigates that a bit to hot/warm/cold!

I'd avoid the boat/caravan versions if you can find a domestic one with appropriate flame failure devices that will fit. It must be able to pass BSS.

We have a Thetford / Spinflo and it's pretty rubbish to be honest. You have a hot bit and a cold bit, so cooking two things is difficult. An extra shelf mitigates that a bit to hot/warm/cold!

Interesting comment.

We had a version of the Spinflo in the boat and have a Theford in our caravan, both were/are fine. OK not quite up to Miele standards but perfectly adequate for most cooking and basic baking. (Or so the Head galley chef tells me - I just checked before posting this)

Interesting comment.

We had a version of the Spinflo in the boat and have a Theford in our caravan, both were/are fine. OK not quite up to Miele standards but perfectly adequate for most cooking and basic baking. (Or so the Head galley chef tells me - I just checked before posting this)

I'm happy to hear you don't have the same issue Martin. As it's also susceptible to flame lift, it makes me wonder if mine is perhaps getting too much fresh air in the bottom perhaps? I think I read that in small spaces, like they're squeezed into on caravans,they don't suffer that but mine's quite open at the back with the void space under the gunnel behind it.

I've heard other folks say theirs are hot at the top but don't do much on the lower level too though. I'm pretty sure I've also read it here before as well (I'd be more likely to spot that, having the issue I have I guess). I'm not sure it wasn't Mike the Boilerman actually, but do forgive me if it wasn't!

All that aside though, I'd not choose a compact cooker if I were starting from scratch and could fit an appropriate full sized domestic model.

I believe that flame lift is caused by too much pressure, in which case perhaps your regulator is suspect?

Thanks, and I'm sure that's often the case, but a new one made no difference. :(

It's not a huge issue, but I do rather like everything to be working right.

I'm not a fan of these cookers though. Whoever designed the hob certainly never had to clean one! More dirt and crumb traps than you can shake a stick at. Perhaps he thought that having a glass lid meant you could close it and forget what it looked like underneath?

In 2008 on a caravanning website a Bailey rep wrote...

I am sorry to learn of the problem encountered with your oven.

Please contact your retailer who will arrange for this to be rectified by Spinflo who are aware of the issue.

Regards

Bailey Helpline

I'm wondering if this is the "cut an inch off the door seal" fix.

I'm unsure. Have you tried contacting Spinflo?

What, when you can just ask here? ;):D

Actually no, I hadn't thought of that, although perhaps because I did think any common issue with the oven would show up here! :) I lifted the burner for a clean and there appeared to be nothing amiss in a very simple bit of kit. I thought it probably a boat supply or installation issue. Sensible suggestion though - I probably should have!

Interesting link Martin, thanks. Bit confusing in the door seal department, but then the final post seems to point to excess primary air, which looks exactly like my problem. Quite how he restricted it is another question, because I could see no way of doing that (hence my musings that there may be too much draft back there under the gunnel).