HELP! Tow needed!

The Boat Studio

Featured Posts

Hello,

We have broken down in Hungerford and need to be towed to Aldermaston for repairs. Anyone happen to be passing by that way soon and would kindly be able to help? We would do all the locks and contribute money towards diesal?!

Many thanks in advance from some desperate boaters!

Amber x

Not many going that way at this time of the year I'm afraid. Keep the flow on the river sections in mind if it starts to rain . No chance of getting your boat started ?. Or can abc come out and get you going ?. Bunny

I know it is pretty unlikely. We waited a whole day and not a single boat came past last week. We had to abandon boat as batteries started to run down.

As far as what is wrong with the boat...

Please tell us what is wrong. You never know we may be able to help you sort it.

We think the drive plate has gone. The engine starts but the propeller does not turn when in gear. It can theoretically be fixed canal side but we also have an oil leak and diesal leak which means our engine and bilges are super filthy so we really need to give it a good clean down before a mechanic can even see what to do. I think the engine needs to be winched up too which would be easier in a boat yard!

I have contacted CRT to let them know the situation.

I think they will grant us some time but a tow would be great.

Fingers crossed!

Amber

Hire an outboard rope it to the back. Or buy a cheap one that runs use it and sell it

Ah we were wondering about doing this! Not sure whether it was possible!

Could I ask how you have come to that conclusion please ? I would have thought the gearbox might be more suspect, but maybe you've already gone through all that.

Hi yes, we had an RCR mechanic out and he suspected that that was the case. not 100% sure though.

If it is a hydraulic gearbox, then it may simply be low on oil (wonders if this is why the bilge is full of oil.)

Yes we checked the oil and added more and it still did not work :(

There are a couple of good local boat mechanics who should be able to help you. Towing downstream on a river is not something to be undertaken lightly if you are not experienced, and most boaters probably don't have insurance cover for towing (but are maybe not aware of that).

In addition to the tight turn at the one way bridge in Newbury there are also a couple of locks where you have to stop "on the flow" which is not easy when towing.

...............Dave

I though RCR offered a limited towing service?, will they not tow you to Aldermaston? Its a little bit further than their specified towing range but I suspect really they don't fancy towing down the river.

................Dave

There are a couple of good local boat mechanics who should be able to help you. Towing downstream on a river is not something to be undertaken lightly if you are not experienced, and most boaters probably don't have insurance cover for towing (but are maybe not aware of that).

In addition to the tight turn at the one way bridge in Newbury there are also a couple of locks where you have to stop "on the flow" which is not easy when towing.

...............Dave

I though RCR offered a limited towing service?, will they not tow you to Aldermaston? Its a little bit further than their specified towing range but I suspect really they don't fancy towing down the river.

................Dave

Yes I understood it was 2 hours that RCR offer. Aldermaston is more like a days journey if not more. The reason we would like Aldermaston is because they said we could use their yard and crane and trust Dave from ABC boats. We know of one good mechanic who we are in communication with he would be happier to do the work in Aldermaston mainly because our engine is so dirty.

Hold on - are you saying River and Canal Rescue came out, had a look, and then just left you there?

Perhaps they should change their name!

....yes but it was a complicated set of circumstances, we did however feel a tad stranded!

It's not that far by road. A4. There's boat engineers at Newbury and other places along the way. Devizes??

If no tow comes forward we will have to clean engine ourselves and get someone to do it canal side. We were just hoping (slightly unrealistically) that someone might be passing our way and would want to help!

If no tow comes forward we will have to clean engine ourselves and get someone to do it canal side. We were just hoping (slightly unrealistically) that someone might be passing our way and would want to help!

When my drive plate failed, RCR came and fixed it. I am a retainer member.

What engine and transmission do you have?

I'm still inclined to think it will be easier to fix canalside than dragging you all the way to Aldermaston.

Have you previous experience of Dave at Aldermaston that makes you trust him especially?

P.S. Forgot to say, RCR technicians have a 'patchy' reputation when it comes to accurately diagnosing failures, to put it diplomatically.

Agree rcr technicians are very patchy. I also agree with Dave at abc being a top bloke . .... think it might be an idea to call rcr again and see if they will send out another techie to take a look or at least try to help you.... I must admit I wouldn't be very happy if they just came out , looked, told you what they thought it was wrong and then went away without having a bit of an indepth look . Bunny

What engine and transmission do you have?

I'm still inclined to think it will be easier to fix canalside than dragging you all the way to Aldermaston.

Have you previous experience of Dave at Aldermaston that makes you trust him especially?

P.S. Forgot to say, RCR technicians have a 'patchy' reputation when it comes to accurately diagnosing failures, to put it diplomatically.

We have and BMC 1800. Yeah i know RCR can be patchy. We have had experience of this! Dave is a top bloke and diagnosed an oil leak in 10mins (that RCR had previously told us meant a complete engine rebuild costing 3.5K!!!) We trust him and he has offered space in boat yard to work - its just a matter of getting there...

Agree rcr technicians are very patchy. I also agree with Dave at abc being a top bloke . .... think it might be an idea to call rcr again and see if they will send out another techie to take a look or at least try to help you.... I must admit I wouldn't be very happy if they just came out , looked, told you what they thought it was wrong and then went away without having a bit of an indepth look . Bunny

We have the number of the RCR bloke who would get sent out if we called again. He is reluctant to do it canal side as engine is filthy, and it would tyake longer etc. But it is looking like that is our only option now. We need to clean it up and then he can do the work.