Mystery alternator

Featured Posts

Quinton Hazell FRA120

from the application list it appears to be prominently used on Ford Sierras/Granadas.

Question remains - Is it the alternator that has died, or the Lucas regulator?

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/6802575/quintonhazell-fra120.html

Edited by OldGoldy

Thankful everyone, re symptoms: it used to charge quite nicely on tickover, after an initial burst of revs. At the end of last week I noticed the light coming on, on tickover, and needing revs to keep it off. A meter showed 14.2v with revs, dropping to 13.6 on tickover. A day later and it was dropping to 13v whatever the revs.

It must be a pretty old unit, of unknown output, and I'm thinking that rather than mess about I could junk it and replace with a Lucas A127 70amp, if it'll fit. Does anyone know if these units are physically similar?

I am inclined to agree, but if the belt is good then it might be worth while taking the regulator off and giving it a visual and a wash. A build up of conductive shit around the brushes can cause this.

Edited to replace autocorrects appalling "shut" with the correct technical term "shit".

Edited by Sir Nibble

It was the first thing I checked, but it might be worth putting the spare (new) one on just to eliminate that as the problem. It's going to be such a game getting it out that I'd refer to replace it with something I know works and maybe rebuild this one as a spare