Webasto Start-up Problem

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Monitor the voltage at the last connection to the heater as it goes through from start up to shut down. The voltage at the battery when its not running is meaningless.

Of course you're right - now where did I put those needle probes.....?

4 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

I have a Webasto Top Z/C-D (diesel) that is failing to start.  Some basic checks have been done, unfortunately I don't have access to the £500 diagnostic box so I cannot see the fault codes.......

7. I can measure 10-12v on the pump connector when the unit is running using a multimeter, I don't have an oscilloscope to look at pulses.

Just a thought, but if the pump is controlled by the heater control computer and given the supply lo-volt cut-off is something like 10 or 11volts then it is possible it uses a low volt pump to ensure even running at close to shut down voltage.  But just a thought.  Maybe someone with the same unit could confirm pump voltage on their unit.

• 10 months later...

I have a Webasto that today has developed the same fault. I haven’t used it since May. It started then stopped about 6 times this morning but now doesn’t even start. Voltage is 13.4 currently so not a power problem. 

Apologies if this has already been mentioned- one of the diagnostics that has proved beneficial when we’ve had problems is the volume of fuel dispensed during start up - it should be 10ml (in reality slightly less), we had a problem where it would go through the start up and everything checked out but it always shut down and wouldn’t continue. Turned out that while fuel was being pumped - only about 5ml was dispensed during start up - turned out to be a partial blockage in the fuel pipe....

1 hour ago, TimCr said:

I have a Webasto that today has developed the same fault. I haven’t used it since May. It started then stopped about 6 times this morning but now doesn’t even start. Voltage is 13.4 currently so not a power problem. 

Yes, but where and when are you measuring that voltage? If you have a poor connection or a corroded fuse the voltage AT THE HEATER when it is trying to start is what matters.

2 hours ago, TimCr said:

It started then stopped about 6 times this morning but now doesn’t even start.

After a certain number of failures to start the system 'locks-up' and needs a reset.

Reset by removing the 20 amp fuse for a minimum of 20 seconds, It will then reset.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

After a certain number of failures to start the system 'locks-up' and needs a reset.

Reset by removing the 20 amp fuse for a minimum of 20 seconds, It will then reset.

Did that. Still no go 😔

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The unit needs to be switched on at the controller when you pull the fuse to reset it - you may already know this though.

Does your controller have a light that flashes the error code on it?

As Tracy says you need to measure the voltage at the heater.

Had similar symptoms with my blown air heater.It turned out to be water in the exhaust pipe.

The error code flashed E10,which was not very helpful as the book only listed error codes up to E8!

51 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The unit needs to be switched on at the controller when you pull the fuse to reset it - you may already know this though.

No error code only the flame icon

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I didn’t know it had to be on at the controller d’oh!  Reset now. Starts to go then shuts down 🤔

When I tested my Webasto Top C a few weeks ago it went for a little while then stopped. It turned out to be a very small blockage or air lock after the inline filter. I blew it out and it went fine... seems that the smallest of airlocks/blockages cause it issue?  I didnt see any real noticeable change in the amount of fuel getting through but it certainly was happier after that.

Forgot to say whenever i clean the fuel filter the airlock comes back so have to repeat... if you've fitting a filter or serviced it recently this might be the issue?

Edited by robtheplod