Sanders

hilaryb

Featured Posts

It depends what you are sanding but nearly all my sanders are from the Makita range, the palm sander for detail work being by far the number one choice for professional woodsmiths.

I steer clear of "not too expensive" orbitals because the cheap stuff tend to be just sanding blocks that rattle and are no better switched on than switched off.

Randon orbitals are more consistent though. For wet work (ie. standing on the bank where the sander can go into the water) I use a Wickes own brand random orbital which is just as efficient as my Makita (but not nearly as comfortable) but more disposable should it take a swim.

Edited by carlt

All of the coach painters I work with use random orbit or dual action sanders, usually with a 150mm pad to hold the disc. I've had my Bosch professional for years, a cracking bit of kit, paid about £150 for it. Worth checking Screwfix or Tool Station to see what's around. Very cheap models may not last long!

My random orbital sander from Screwfix has just completed my boat, and I put 7 coats on so it had to rub down the entire 64" top and sides 7 times. It is quite heavy as 150mm so you might be better with a 125mm model.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb382sdr-150mm-random-orbit-sander-230-240v/96759