Retiring a Multi fuel stove 👀

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

How long did you have it for?

When we put a stove in our boat everyone was raving about the Morso. All I ever see on forms and social media is pictures of cracks and people talking about replacing them due to this. And they cost so much.

Oops

Well it comes to use all old age our lovely cosy Morse Squirrel stove has developed a saggy top & wrinkles, that is cracks on the top.

A little bit of plastic surgery preformed by OH has worked wonders, but sadly she will have to go

We are looking for replacement : 5kw British made multi fuel stove budget of £450

Also,How easy |hard will it be to take the old stove out & install a new stove

Easiest thing would be to replace it with another Squirrel.

Hardest thing would be finding a new British made 5kW stove for £450. Boatman stove (made in Manchester I believe) is well liked but I'm not sure of Its output.

Second hardest thing will be lifting stoves in/out of boat.

Yes spadfoot we have thought that & midland chandlers have A Morse Stoves on offer just under £600 which is a really good price.

But getting old stove out & new one in seems to be the problem

Any ideas on how to make this easier

I bought our boat brand new 11 years ago and it came with an Arrow fires Becton Bunny 4kw stove. I have to say it's been brilliant and is still on its original grate! It's on its third door glass and I've replace the fire bricks once and folded up a stainless baffle at work when the original rotted through.

Seen one of these on a boat http://www.glastonburyburners.co.uk/typhon.htmlby Glastonbury Burners they do look good all of them he does, no 1st hand experience myself. Has a review's page if that's anything to go by and £20.00 carriage by the look of it.

Chilli Penguin also do a good range of stoves, one with a small oven above as well. There premium stoves tho with a premium price... http://www.chillipenguin.co.uk

Aren't the Bubble stoves made in Britain by Howarth Heating? I have a 5kW corner one on the boat, which I think is excellent. Easy to light, easy to control, stays 'in' happily for months. It has a separate door for the ash pan which Mike the Boilerman will assert is essential, but is certainly very good. They do one with a top oven now too, but that's probably too far above your price limit.

I have a 7kW Aarrow woodburner at home, also British made I believe, which is again excellent. They do some really good small models too one of which my brother in law has in the multi fuel version. It was this which prompted me to go for the Aarrow at home.

Easiest thing would be to replace it with another Squirrel.

Hardest thing would be finding a new British made 5kW stove for £450. Boatman stove (made in Manchester I believe) is well liked but I'm not sure of Its output.

Second hardest thing will be lifting stoves in/out of boat.

We took a scaf board with a bit of rope round the stove 1 person outside one inside.

Then the person on the inside slowly tilted the board and the outside helt the stove from slinding down once board was down inside steadied the stove as the guy outside let the rope slip. Just slid the stove in job done this was done fully build except the flu. If your taking one out that your not keeping or selling just smash it up.

The easiest way to remove it is to clout it a few times all over with a club hammer. It will crack up like a carrot. Then just carry the bits out.

That's exactly what we did with ours.

Replaced it with a Boatman, welded steel, but already yearning for another Squirrel.

I think the boatman is very good value for money and the reason I went for steel rather than cast is the reduced life span of cast iron stoves on boats.

But we have two Squirrels at home and there's just no comparison really. The Morso stove lights easier, draws better, is more controllable and stays in longer. The simple fact is we are so used to using Squirrels I think it was a mistake to change just because the steel stove will have a longer life span.

Midland chandlers have a Freak Friday on 28th October ,

that will get the price nearer your £450!

Oops it is force 4 chandlers my mistake wishing it was Midland chandlers with a Freak Friday coming up thanks anyway.

Seen one of these on a boat http://www.glastonburyburners.co.uk/typhon.htmlby Glastonbury Burners they do look good all of them he does, no 1st hand experience myself. Has a review's page if that's anything to go by and £20.00 carriage by the look of it.

Thanks we Love the quirky look of this but unfortunately it's a wood burner ☹️ We need a multi fuel stove

Boatman is 4Kw and rated 78% efficient can now be had in colour

I really like this stove brilliant price

the only disadvantage is has a 4inch flue & the squirrel is 5inchs just thought it would be easyier to buy another stove with 5inch flue.