Fradley Junction

dove

Featured Posts

Just to let everybody who complains about all the boats tied below middle Lock, we have been told to find other moorings.

It is now a boat free zone as from March next year. The new owner has plans and boats don't seem to a part of them. So if you want a bit fun, tie up below Middle Lock and go to the Pub.

I take it these are the towpath moorings on the same pound as the junction?

So who is the new owner, and why isn't it C&RT?

Alternatively I'm guessing that a third party (Caravan & Camping Park?) rents the whole stretch from C&RT and then sublets to the owners of the moored boats there.

How is he going to recoup his outlay to C&RT if boats don't form a part of his plan?

If it's change of use, doesn't planning permission come into this?

There must be more transparent information somewhere.

I take it these are the towpath moorings on the same pound as the junction?

So who is the new owner, and why isn't it C&RT?

Alternatively I'm guessing that a third party (Caravan & Camping Park?) rents the whole stretch from C&RT and then sublets to the owners of the moored boats there.

How is he going to recoup his outlay to C&RT if boats don't form a part of his plan?

If it's change of use, doesn't planning permission come into this?

There must be more transparent information somewhere.

That was my assumption, and that the new owner maybe thinks there's more profit in having (customer) visitor moorings than letting them long term.

I can't see this becoming a "boat free" zone either - what else could you do with it that would create revenue?

The only boat I moaned about when in Fradley a couple of weeks back was the hotel boat outside the Swan. No problems with the boats on the moorings and there has been plenty of visitor moorings each time we have been this year so can't see a need for anymore.

Well he does have a large caravan park and I think he is putting in a road so he can accommodate tourers. He could be planning on floating house boats as Brian suggested - novel ??

So he has not taken the shop and the dry dock yet?

Well he does have a large caravan park and I think he is putting in a road so he can accommodate tourers. He could be planning on floating house boats as Brian suggested - novel ??

Some years ago a hire base operated from there, i think it was Swan Line, and apart from changeover days it was OK as far as congestion was concerned. Maybe he's going to revive the hire business.

Some years ago a hire base operated from there, i think it was Swan Line, and apart from changeover days it was OK as far as congestion was concerned. Maybe he's going to revive the hire business.

floating caravans.....it'll be like Hemel Hempstead or Hackney...

Yes he has the shop and the dock, CRT will not split the lease.

Maybe the plan is to charge for mooring there overnight

Probably break even if he does and will have the hassle of collecting it each day. Say £10 a boat for 6 months =£1800 per boat space.

The OP said ..... "The new owner has plans and boats don't seem to a part of them" (sic)

Yes it was Swan Line. I think they folded in the early to mid 90'season.

After that it was used as a base for shared ownership boats until Ownerships went *it's up on 2010.

Yes it was Swan Line. I think they folded in the early to mid 90'season.

After that it was used as a base for shared ownership boats until Ownerships went *it's up on 2010.

Yep deffo Swanline, our first boat was x Swan line.

Tim

There was a period when it was run by 2 brothers from South Africa. They got rid of the hire boats and started taking in Ownership boats. Our share boat was moored there 2002/03. Ownerships took it over after this.

There was a period when it was run by 2 brothers from South Africa. They got rid of the hire boats and started taking in Ownership boats. Our share boat was moored there 2002/03. Ownerships took it over after this.

Yes, we moored Oberon there in 1999 & 2000 before moving to Devizes in 2001. We then sold our share in Oberon and bought a share in Honeystreet, which we had until we bought DQ in 2014.

I note that Oberon is still moored at Fradley, above the middle lock, but now in private ownership.