poorly ducks

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

A couple of ducks are mooching around where I am moored, was in the same spot a couple of weeks ago and they were here so it must be their main residence, small female and large white duck both have big lumps on one side of the face, just above the beak and under the eye, the big white one can hardly open the eye and looks like it can't close its beak, have just been feeding them and the white one can't eat either!

Would the rspca look after thus kind of thing, or is there someone else who can offer something?

Hate to see them like this.

Yes the RSPCA do look after wildlife https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife

It maybe the ducks have something that is contagious.

Doesn't do any harm having an online chat http://ask.rspca.org.uk/rspca/bot.htm?isJSEnabled=1&businessArea=Root.PUB

Editing to say the link is a sort of Q&A - not a live chat. There must be a tel number somewhere

Edited by Jennifer McM

A couple of ducks are mooching around where I am moored, was in the same spot a couple of weeks ago and they were here so it must be their main residence, small female and large white duck both have big lumps on one side of the face, just above the beak and under the eye, the big white one can hardly open the eye and looks like it can't close its beak, have just been feeding them and the white one can't eat either!

Would the rspca look after thus kind of thing, or is there someone else who can offer something?

Hate to see them like this.

There was one like that near Streethay Wharf a year or more back. When we passed again a few days back, there he still was - lump a bit bigger but he was fine.

Sounds like a Mycoplasma infection. I breed turkeys and they get it and have the same symptoms you describe. I have to use a syringe to remove the fluids from the swollen sinuses and then inject 1cc of Tylan 50. In the UK this is a prescription antibiotic used almost universally on all farm livestock. With a course of antibiotics they will be fine.

• Greenie 1

We have one near us with lumps on both sides of face, i think it is a sinus type problem.

I read that if left untreated the lumps become hard and untreatable.

Mildred has been like this for 18months now and seems fine.