Elusive Broadband

swift1894

Featured Posts

Well the whole of my 12Gb monthly allowance has been used up in 10 days!

I can't believe it's not possible to find out where it's been used.

Surely there's a way to see where it's disappearing to on my iPad.

This never used to happen until I subscribed to the iCloud to store my photos, but that could just be a coincidence.

That's it. It has posted all your photos to the cloud. Just think how much data that is if they are all hi res.

Snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This doesn't work on Win 10, all it does is give you the option to connect or disconnect, it doesnt give you properties.

Well it does on my Windows 10, it may not on all Windows 10 as there are three different versions at the moment.

The original, released July 2015, version 1511 and the latest Version 1607 (my version)

Edited by bottle

Well it does on my Windows 10, it may not on all Windows 10 as there are three different versions at the moment.

The original, released July 2015, version 1511 and the latest Version 1607 (my version)

Wierd. I'm still on 1511 (waiting until they sort all the problems). Deffo doesnt do it for me.

Wierd. I'm still on 1511 (waiting until they sort all the problems). Deffo doesnt do it for me.

You will be waiting a long time then. laugh.png

ps.

it worked your way when I had 1511 and now works 'my' way with 1607.

i did wonder where the setting had gone, when I updated and wanted to check all my settings.

I have two laptops both with 1607 and have no problems.

Should not have said that, it will go wrong now. sad.png

Our contract for 32GB (monthly allowance) of broadband started with EE in August this year.

Last month we ran out of broadband 10 days before the month was out. We scratched heads thinking how we could have used so much, but decided to keep an eye on our consumption this month.

As you can see with the screen dump of our account, we have 8 days to go before our 'month' is up and we've got 25GB left (unless I'm reading the info wrong). We've not consciously used broadband any differently. Though perhaps we've streamed the TV more this month being out and about on the cut.

The only difference is that we've been out of the marina for (about) the last 2 weeks!

So with my cynical head on, I'm wondering if someone had managed to hack into our broadband in the marina, or if EE is at fault?

I have seen postings on here where people have been surprised how quickly their broadband has run out.

post-26819-0-70970900-1476452018_thumb.jpg

Didn't realise there was a recent post added about this subject. Moderators, I don't mind if you want to merge this post.

Do you have a windows 10 computer? There was a massive update a little while ago, many GB.

Yes I noticed there was a big one about 4 weeks ago, just when we ran out of last month's GBs. There's been a couple this month, including one last night, though I'm unsure how GB heavy they were.

We've both got Win 10 laptops, and a Google phone which has been very economical with GB.

Didn't realise there was a recent post added about this subject. Moderators, I don't mind if you want to merge this post.

Yes I noticed there was a big one about 4 weeks ago, just when we ran out of last month's GBs. There's been a couple this month, including one last night, though I'm unsure how GB heavy they were.

We've both got Win 10 laptops, and a Google phone which has been very economical with GB.

With win 10 you can tell it the connection is metered and then it won't use it for updates.

As Nick says, the latest windows update was about a month or so ago, took ages to install on my laptop, guess you got hammered with that.

See how much you use next month, bet its about the same as this month.

Try settings, network and internet, data usage, usage details and see whats the biggest user.

I also lost a lot of GB's the other week from 3.

But, I contacted 3, and they put it down to me backing up my computer to a cloud.

It also took a very large chunk out of my 64GB's I have with EE too!

i have since learned the error of my ways and got rid of the Cloud back up storage that i had just joined and realised that as I have two external hard disk drives already, I could buy a third decent external hard drives for the amount it cost me!

Cloud storage although a great way to back up your stuff, but it is not for mobile internet users.

Anyway, its all very well stopping your windows 10 updates, but your gonna have to update sometime, and if you only have the mobile connection, will have to bite the bullet and keep windows 10 updating at cost to your data allowance!

Nipper

But, I contacted 3, and they put it down to me backing up my computer to a cloud.

It also took a very large chunk out of my 64GB's I have with EE too!

i have since learned the error of my ways and got rid of the Cloud back up storage that i had just joined and realised that as I have two external hard disk drives already, I could buy a third decent external hard drives for the amount it cost me!

Cloud storage although a great way to back up your stuff, but it is not for mobile internet users.

Anyway, its all very well stopping your windows 10 updates, but your gonna have to update sometime, and if you only have the mobile connection, will have to bite the bullet and keep windows 10 updating at cost to your data allowance!

Nipper

or

Block updates (set connection to metered) and visit pub once a week for a drink and free update via their free Wi-Fi. cheers.gif

edit: there, their frusty.gif

Edited by bottle

where do you keep your drives?

One on the boat and one with relatives, swapped over every now and then!

Nipper

clapping.gif I think you knew where I was going with that..........Ive a RAID which mirrors the drives however it is on the boat which is great apart from if the boat goes down! Keep meaning to rectify it.

Windows 10 steals GB. Think there was a news story about it.

Funny you should say that, as it seems to me that everytime windows updates i loose a program or two!

The last update I lost Adobe Reader from my desktop.

I really noticed the loss until I wanted read a pdf file and up popped a pdf reader from Microsoft, but it wanted money as a donation or something like that!

I declined the invitation and re-downloaded Adobe Reader anyway!

Strange things are afoot I believe!

Nipper

Our contract for 32GB (monthly allowance) of broadband started with EE in August this year.

Last month we ran out of broadband 10 days before the month was out. We scratched heads thinking how we could have used so much, but decided to keep an eye on our consumption this month.

As you can see with the screen dump of our account, we have 8 days to go before our 'month' is up and we've got 25GB left (unless I'm reading the info wrong). We've not consciously used broadband any differently. Though perhaps we've streamed the TV more this month being out and about on the cut.

The only difference is that we've been out of the marina for (about) the last 2 weeks!

So with my cynical head on, I'm wondering if someone had managed to hack into our broadband in the marina, or if EE is at fault?

I have seen postings on here where people have been surprised how quickly their broadband has run out.

EE do not advertise it on their website but if you call up, they will give you 64GB data for the same price, £28. The only drawback is it has a 12 month contract but for me it still seems like a good deal especially when it's possible to get over 40Mps download speeds in some areas of their network.

If the GSM version and not via wifi;

settings -> mobile data -> usage

No it's not GSM and it is via wifi.

That's it. It has posted all your photos to the cloud. Just think how much data that is if they are all hi res.

Wish I'd realized that before.

But I've used up my iCloud allowance now and there's still loads of photos not uploaded.

So it shouldn't happen again next month.........should it?

Btw why ain't there a cable to let me put my photos onto a memory stick direct from my iPad, like I could do with a laptop?

I have EE , 50 gb per month plan

We run 2 iPads, where do I find the metered option please?

I also have been running out of data recently, we are also in a marina.

I've don't understand it, but how does iCloud storage take data?

Many thanks in advance

EE do not advertise it on their website but if you call up, they will give you 64GB data for the same price, £28. The only drawback is it has a 12 month contract but for me it still seems like a good deal especially when it's possible to get over 40Mps download speeds in some areas of their network.

Do they now? I might be going back to EE asking about this

I'm supposed to get 10GB for £8 (shared between mifi and phone) but it's dependent on having my office landline as well, and Talk Talk have "lost the paperwork" for handing it over to EE