Optimum chimney height

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

In the basin where I moor, there are 15 residential boats. Surrounding the basin are recently built blocks of flats. Last winter we had several complaints from flat dwellers regarding the smoke from the boats chimneys.

While the residential boats have been in the basin for many years longer than the flats have been in existance, we are cogniscent of the fact that we don't want to upset our neighbours.

Most of the boats have "cruising" chimneys of around 18inches in height. I was wondering if the boat owners were to replace their short chimneys with longer ones, would there be any benefit in terms of better combustion, and hence less smoke. And what would be the best height to have?

I don't think flue height makes much difference to neighbours. I am moored beside a 5 storey block of flats. My fire is going 24/7 october-april. I fitted a 1.5 metre external chimney with a brewer cowl but this was because of downdraught from the flats causing a problem in windy weather.

Not had any complaints myself in 3 winters here.

I burn Brazier or Homefire and a certain amount of wood.

If you happen to burn excel I could understand complaints because it really stinks. Bad.

Edited by magnetman

I would say the longer the flue would give a better draw when lighting the fire and make it more efficient. I spoke to our local coal supplier about this problem and he said if the coal is on the approved Govt site it is ok and it complies, here's a link to get you started

https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

I also asked him about getting the fire started, he stayed there was no regulation on kindling to get the fire going.

The problem starts when people burn wood and when they load the fire up at night and damp it down to make sure it's still alight in the morning. This causes smoke.

Just make sure their using approved smokeless fuel and the mooring operator is aware of the rules regarding smoke regulations. It may be in your mooring terms and conditions.

Edited by Northernboater

If you take a stove such as the Morso Squirrel, you're supposed to have a minimum of 4 metres of flue...

So pretty much all narrowboat chimneys are way too small. I notice some of the boats on our marina have longer flues, up to about 4 feet, but I don't know if it makes a lot of difference, it's something I would like to experiment with though.

If you're using smokeless, even if combustion isn't as efficient as it should be there shouldn't be anything to complain about.

Interestingly, we have two Squirrels at home, one is flued through a liner in the old chimney, through two storeys and the roof, the other has a single storey s/s flue and is probably not far off the "minimum" 4 metres. The one with the shorter flue works much better, it's easier to light and very controllable compared to the one with the higher flue so I conclude the optimum height must be somewhere between the two.

In the basin where I moor, there are 15 residential boats. Surrounding the basin are recently built blocks of flats. Last winter we had several complaints from flat dwellers regarding the smoke from the boats chimneys.

While the residential boats have been in the basin for many years longer than the flats have been in existance, we are cogniscent of the fact that we don't want to upset our neighbours.

Most of the boats have "cruising" chimneys of around 18inches in height. I was wondering if the boat owners were to replace their short chimneys with longer ones, would there be any benefit in terms of better combustion, and hence less smoke. And what would be the best height to have?

Chimneys that are taller than the flats.

• Greenie 1

I don't think flue height makes much difference to neighbours. I am moored beside a 5 storey block of flats. My fire is going 24/7 october-april. I fitted a 1.5 metre external chimney with a brewer cowl but this was because of downdraught from the flats causing a problem in windy weather.

Not had any complaints myself in 3 winters here.

If you happen to burn excel I could understand complaints because it really stinks. Bad.

I thought it was ladies that do that. unsure.png

I hadnt noticed a smell from Excel, well not that is particularly noticeable/stinky although maybe that is because most people burn in it in the marina and so it is "normal" smell?

Chimneys that are taller than the flats.

That made me chuckle!

We've looked into the regulations, and comply with them all. We burn Homefire, Taybrite or anthracite (never Excel) and have stopped burning wood, even though a contact at a furniture factory used to provide us with a huge amount of free offcuts. We are experimenting with electric fire starters to try to avoid the kindling smoke on initial lighting.

At this time of year the situation is more problematical, as fires are not required to be on all day every day. When the cold weather sets in and stoves are running 24/7 it may be easier to control the smoke output.

Perhaps taller chimneys may make the stoves more controllable, and reduce the incidents of them going out overnight, with ensuing start up smoke.

I'm not sure that 4 metre chimneys are a viable option, but we can certainly look into replacing the shorter ones with something longer when they need replacing.

Thanks for the help and info.