Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Why is it that people are complaining they dont like the contentious threads or posts and think they shouldnt be allowed yet you all read them.You only have to have a bit of a ruck going on within a post and the amount of people who view it goes sky high.Seems that people want a forum that is pleasant and without any kind of humour or arguing yet they like to sit back and read it then come on another post complaining about it ...Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Absolutely!! Bang on.

Its like people who claim they don't 'rubber' neck at a motorway crash but actually they can't resist slowing down to have a gawp!!

I think it's about time the Mod's took a step back and let the "report" feature do the work for them, this will cut down on the amount of work they have (if any) and also show them what the member's actually want from this site.

But do we know that isn't how it is currently working?

Re "report backs" from Mods:

I've looked through the 10 or so Forums I use, and only this and RailUK provide Mod feed back to someone who reports something or if a post is deleted for some reason, and that is only done by PM. And the moderating on RailUK is far stricter than on here! None of the motoring forums provide any feed back.

"Utter nonsense" is not personal abuse as it comments on what is said, not who said it and, as I said, there is nothing wrong with holding that opinion if you can back it up with a good counter argument.

"Utter Nonsense" or even better "A load of Total Bollox" is fine if used appropriately. It means the post is so obviously rubbish that its not worth, or even possible, to construct a logical counter argument. Trouble is it is often used as a quick way to rubbish the person who made the post when that post is in fact perfectly valid, and because the "rubbisher" is too dim to construct a logical counter argument, or can't construct a counter argument because the original post was in fact correct. In general people who claim "total rubbish" inappropriately go down a long way in my estimation.

I do note that Mr Dunkley himself has rubbished me on several past occasions because he was unable to construct a valid counter argument to what I was saying.

Mods, please don't remove this post but do feel free to modify the final sentence to Mr XXXX or whatever if that is appropriate.rolleyes.gif

................Dave

Perhaps I should have waited thirty seconds and saved myself the trouble of posting. I never got sudoku either.. the big book of colouring can be taxing at times...biggrin.pngtongue.png

I'm intrigued,

What happened after the 30 seconds elapsed?

Sodoku was and still is utterly pointless and irritating, there are far better ways of filling the void in your life than entering numbers into boxes :)

I'm intrigued,

What happened after the 30 seconds elapsed?

Sodoku was and still is utterly pointless and irritating, there are far better ways of filling the void in your life than entering numbers into boxes smile.png

So is this Sudoku thing a bit like Excel ???

.............Dave

Now you mention it, we have people at work that do just that on excel - along with a good old pie chart.

Meanwhile Rome is burning all around... smile.png

Don't think Rome had Excel all that long ago. If they did I wonder how much it was.

I think it's about time the Mod's took a step back and let the "report" feature do the work for them, this will cut down on the amount of work they have (if any) and also show them what the member's actually want from this site.

Unfortunately it will do nothing of the sort - it will only show what the more sensitive souls and those who have a particular agenda want. I, for example, have only ever reported obvious spam, as I think modding should be very hands off, so my opinions will not be reflected at all.

"Utter Nonsense" or even better "A load of Total Bollox" is fine if used appropriately. It means the post is so obviously rubbish that its not worth, or even possible, to construct a logical counter argument. Trouble is it is often used as a quick way to rubbish the person who made the post when that post is in fact perfectly valid, and because the "rubbisher" is too dim to construct a logical counter argument, or can't construct a counter argument because the original post was in fact correct. In general people who claim "total rubbish" inappropriately go down a long way in my estimation.

................Dave

Thank you for explaining it properly! "Rubbish" should only apply to a post which doesn't actually make a recognisable point!

"Utter nonsense" is not personal abuse as it comments on what is said, not who said it and, as I said, there is nothing wrong with holding that opinion if you can back it up with a good counter argument.

I refer you to the answer given some moments ago (by DMR!)

So did you identify who that post was aimed at?

JP

No, I read it and took it at face value as a very valid observation. If it was aimed at somebody in particular so what, I wasn't endorsing it in that context.

Ed to add, I've actually made the very same observation previously myself.

Edited by MJG

Don't think Rome had Excel all that long ago. If they did I wonder how much it was.

They had abacuses, perhaps linked together that formed the very first super computer?

Rome in my case is work, it's been a tough couple of weeks but on the plus side all the spreadsheets are up to date :(

Excellent suggestion!

I worked it out blush.pngbiggrin.pngwink.png

Oh, I thought it was going to be something dramatic, you know, like a message delivered by an archer, a shadowy figure in a rain coat with a hat, dark glasses and a briefcase, or something spectacular like an aeroplane towing a message.

I'm a little deflated if I'm honest :(

You may but I disagree.

An explanation as to why one thinks the post is utter nonsense validates the statement, in my opinion.

But it doesn't add anything to your argument, it merely antagonises your opponent and escalates conflict. If you want a heated screaming match then fair enough, but that doesn't seem to be PC on here. Arguments are better served cold IMO.

I enjoy reading passionate discussion. The various arguments are always good to hear, even if I do not wish to become involved.

I am not interested, and I believe few others are, in witnessing pointless rude and childish name calling.

I prefer to read arguments that are not laced with abusive language.

I admire quick wit and humour.

I like others, become frustrated when a thread I return to has disappeared, become locked or posts are obviously out of sequence due to undefined editing.

I enjoy this place because it appears that the majority of members are of a similar mind.

It's such a shame that some entertaining and amusing contributors have disappeared, voluntarily or otherwise. An amnesty would be a good idea as a way of moving forward.

Right, if Daniel and the Mod's can sort that for me, at least one of us will be happy ;)

Rog

• Greenie 1

But it doesn't add anything to your argument, it merely antagonises your opponent and escalates conflict. If you want a heated screaming match then fair enough, but that doesn't seem to be PC on here. Arguments are better served cold IMO.

Fair enough....

I can only assume you wanted a heated screaming match when you wrote....

Once again you are pontificating [apparently] without knowledge or experience.... I really really do wish you wouldn't keep typing rubbish about stuff you [apparently] don't understand. We just have to keep refuting it again and again and it all gets very tiresome for everyone except you, who seems to just like the sound of your own (metaphorical) voice regardless of whether sense or nonsense. I do believe you enjoy typing random stuff just to wind us up, easy for you because we care about fact and truth and you [apparently] don't.

...in January.
Edited by carlt