Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Yes indeed. To explain my stance a little more clearly, the use of the term "management" suggests an "us and them" situation. Our moderators are not "them" - they are appointed from the ranks of "us".

But the very point of this thread, Mr Athy, is that 'trust' has broken down and that we do indeed have an 'us and them' situation.

I hope that situation can be recovered, but that is in the hands of the owner and 'his' Mod's now, sadly.

Rog

PS Sorry I was snappy earlier. Builders are ripping the roof off my house, and I'm just about to leave for work. At least it's dry and sunny......for now.

Edited by dogless

OK, hows this, I find myself one warning point away from being banned simply for posting two humerous replies to other posters, one of whom has been banned, if I recall correctly one occasion I used the term " having a thundering good time " and another occasion I responded to a post by John V which he had written in German, my response was also in German and included the words " Donner und Blitzen " so anecdotal or not, you decide.

Phil

interestingly it's also a river in Oregon, a fact i was not aware of until today.

Every day is a school day :cheers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_und_Blitzen_River

But the very point of this thread, Mr Athy, is that 'trust' has broken down and that we do indeed have an 'us and them' situation.

I hope that situation can be recovered, but that is in the hands of the owner and 'his' Mod's now, sadly.

Rog

PS Sorry I was snappy earlier. Builders are ripping the roof off my house, and I'm just about to leave for work. At least it's dry and sunny......for now.

My dear fellow, I didn't notice you being "snappy". I simply noticed you expressing your point of view.

P.S: rain forecast for tomorrow.

Edited by Athy

I wonder if some people just got caught in the crossfire of something pretty nasty involving a very small number of members ?

If I honest I have to say I'm glad the political threads are gone , I come here to get away from the real world . I used to avoid reading them mostly . Others no doubt miss them which is an equally valid point of view .

Iam sorry the CRT threads have gone , it's a valid point of discussion and likewise I miss Tony Dunkley . I was a bit surprised to see Loafer and JohnV among the departed . However I only know what I read on here so haven't got the full story .

I personally wouldn't be a mod for all the tea ( or scooters ) in China . Thankless task .

Jokes about sheep and various nationalities , are they anymore offensive than some of the regionalist stuff that gets slung about . Critiscism of accents , comments about gene puddles and "normal for " a certain east of England county. People are pretty good at being offensive all round , what's the whole " ginger " thing about . Why is having " fire engine blonde " hair so funny ?

Well I can think about that lot in the vets waiting room this afternoon . I'd far rather be needle gunning rust on this fine afternoon instead of trying to sort out heaps of junk and wasting time on the Internet.

I remain unconvinced that for the vast majority of us trust has indeed broken down. Might be interesting to do a survey if anyone knows how to do it...

There's a valid place on the web for both moderated and unmoderated forums. If you belong to a moderated one and the rules are reasonable and reasonably clear then you can't really complain if they are imposed. And in most cases it's important that there is confidentiality in WHY they are imposed (as long as the moderatee knows the reason). Anything the moderatee posts in an unmoderated forum has, in the nature of things, to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I suspect most lurkers and occasional posters prefer this forum to any other. Heavy users, especially those with a specific agenda, may not.

Iam sorry the CRT threads have gone ,

I think they're still there, just locked. By the time that happened they had really disappeared up their own fundaments and weren't really providing any further useful discussion, just descending into insult-swapping and the posting of dodgy information.

I'm sure they'll be back in some form or another the next time CRT does something daft. With luck, some of the "usual suspects" will wander back too.

• Greenie 2

Why is having " fire engine blonde " hair so funny ?

Haven't you seen Dennis The Hairy Fire Engine? He's hilarious. They don't drive him too close to the fires, though, in case he gets singed.

Feel free to remain an apologist for the inappropriate actions of the modding team if you wish. The information is readily available on the other forum.

And you choose to believe it?

ETA (Not that you've got an axe to grind)

Edited by Victor Vectis

I certainly do not know the in and outs of who said what or who got banned for what and to be honest I don't really want to know I just want to move forward rather than look back. I doubt all are/were innocent and some statements possibly overstated or some info missing but and I think an important factor is that there are many who feel things have taken a turn for the worse and even if you do take some things said with a grain of salt there is too much to be all fabricated or exaggerated entirely.

The forum certainly could be better and a good deal of the old character of the forum is lost and probably unlikely to return. My hope is that the forum gets past this issue and moves forward with a better environment that will attract some back or encourage new folk to join,

"I have a plan... a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel"

• Greenie 2

So you are throwing doubt on the veracity of my post? Tsk Tsk shame on you, I used to think better of you.

Phil

Nobut....................

Actions have consequences.

Reading post #599 you both knew exactly what you were doing.

You chose to push the boundries and now you are complaining about the consequences.

• Greenie 1

Nobut....................

Actions have consequences.

Reading post #599 you both knew exactly what you were doing.

You chose to push the boundries and now you are complaining about the consequences.

Since when did a humorous exchange become worthy of banning? and in fact when is the use of a foreign language a crime?

Phil

Especially as there was not, and still is not, any official policy on mentioning the other forum. In other words the mod team making it as they went along to suit their personal feelings and needs at the time (mostly about personal face-saving) without feeling the need to tell anyone else the rules of the (constantly changing) game. Perhaps you think that is good modding, but I don't.

What boundaries? Oh you mean the unspoken, unwritten and made up on the hoof ones.

• Greenie 3

This is getting a bit childish. The web's open to all with a search engine, and of course there are other forums (fora??) on the net apart from this one, and the one that is being talked about is thunderboat.boards.net. Have I now been banned for mentiong it by name and this post eradicated? No. So don't blame the mods for things they aren't doing and haven't done.

But they have done. I guess you are not fully up to speed with these things. I'm not sure that anyone has been banned outright for mentioning the forum but see Phil's earlier post, he went from zero warnings to 2 warnings (bearing in mind 3 is a ban) for making a couple of indirect reference to that forum. Certainly references to it were routinely and swiftly deleted and I'm fairly sure plenty of other folk were censured by warnings or banning for mentioning it, but not sure I can remember who off the top of my head.

It seems that the mods have finally realised the error of their ways and, as of the last few days, are allowing the forum to be mentioned without censure.

So when you say things are getting a bit childish, I'd disagree somewhat. They were childish when a forum couldn't be named without punishment. They are now a bit less childish because it seems that it can now be mentioned. All that of course without any formal proclamation that it couldn't previously be mentioned nor that it can now be mentioned.

Well said Arthur. I'd give you a green thing but I've run out today.

There are some posters on this thread (I'm not in the business of naming names. You know who you are) who appear not to like the way this forum has been run recently. Decisions have been made that they don't like. Rather than accepting the situation like grown ups they continue to whinge on and on like spoilt brats who can't get their own way.

For Gawd's sake give over or put another record on.

• Greenie 1

But they have done. I guess you are not fully up to speed with these things. I'm not sure that anyone has been banned outright for mentioning the forum but see Phil's earlier post, he went from zero warnings to 2 warnings (bearing in mind 3 is a ban) for making a couple of indirect reference to that forum. Certainly references to it were routinely and swiftly deleted and I'm fairly sure plenty of other folk were censured by warnings or banning for mentioning it, but not sure I can remember who off the top of my head.

It seems that the mods have finally realised the error of their ways and, as of the last few days, are allowing the forum to be mentioned without censure.

So when you say things are getting a bit childish, I'd disagree somewhat. They were childish when a forum couldn't be named without punishment. They are now a bit less childish because it seems that it can now be mentioned. All that of course without any formal proclamation that it couldn't previously be mentioned nor that it can now be mentioned.

And, to be fair to those involved, you can understand why if they had been banned from here, with little or no explanation, being somewhat forthright in their opinion of this forum and some of its residents when they got the chance after the start up of Thunderboat. It's only human nature for many to have a pop back if they feel that they have been wronged or wrongly accused. Some remarks may well have been a bit over the top IMO but would be typical of an angry person on the web.

Roger

Again conjecture and not hard fact.

I can't see anywhere in the Forum rules that you cannot mention by name another forum, so unless those rules have been very swiftly rewritten, I'd suggest it was the context in which the forum Thunderboat was referenced that provoked the ire of the moderators rather than a sudden change of attitude to the simple use of the name.

As hard information seems to be slippery and elusive, perhaps we could merge this thread with the one currently standing just above it in the View New Content list. "Are We All Eels?" has a pleasing ring to it.

Rather than accepting the situation like grown ups they continue to whinge on and on like spoilt brats who can't get their own way.

I'm really surprised at this statement coming from you.

In my opinion you protest like a grown up and acquiesce like a child.

The forum changed for the worse because people (grown ups presumably) protested.

Why is it "whinging like a spoilt brat" if someone wants to protest for an improvement from what it has become?

• Greenie 2