Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Maybe, but they wouldnt admit to anything, and pobably argue as usual!icecream.gif

Nipper

In case anyone doesn't know the original title was

"Graham Davies, wales and sheep". As is obvious in the original post it was not a personal remark.

It was later edited to "are we all sheep?" by a moderator because it broke a forum rule.

Oh shit did I just break a rule as well :banghead:

"Graham Davies, wales and sheep". As is obvious in the original post it was not a personal remark.

It was later edited to "are we all sheep?" by a moderator because it broke a forum rule.

Thank you for the clarification! blush.png

Nipper

It was later edited to "are we all sheep?" by a moderator because it broke a forum rule.Oh shit did I just break a rule as well :banghead:

However, there is more than one Welsh person contributing to this forum.

Oh shit did I just break a rule as well frusty.gif

Thanks. I wondered what it was

Let's not spoil a reasonable discussion with silly /nationalist/racist stereo types please.

Racist Good God. Gone are the days when people quite happily laughed at themselves. I take it then that the Englishmen, Irishman and Scotsman jokes are racist as well.

Darren

One of the new mods (can't remember which) drew up a list of people they wanted banned, based on their posts on the other forum. At that point I'd had enough and let Dan know quite clearly that I didn't want "Site Staff" underneath my name, even if I simply did the admin stuff. He prompted a discussion amongst the other mods and it went quiet for a bit, I left and a smooth handover was done. A couple of weeks later, the people on "the list" were dropping like flies. Once again Nick's got it spot on, despite not having access to any of the mods internal communications etc. I guess its not that hard to work out.

Come on Dan, sort it out - you know exactly what to do, you just need the guts to do it. If you delay much longer (some say its already too late) there won't be a forum worth saving.

Dan?

Racist Good God. Gone are the days when people quite happily laughed at themselves. I take it then that the Englishmen, Irishman and Scotsman jokes are racist as well.

Darren

Yes. Same as Pakistani jokes black jokes Chinese jokes etc. You are not laughing at yourself but others and grouping a whole set of people as having the same attribute which is not the same thing.

If I say all Americans are stupid I will without doubt be wrong and showing prejudice If I say one particular American is stupid if I have evidence of that I could be right.

• Greenie 2

As someone who is 3/4 English and 1/4 Irish, and fond of holidays in Scotland, I have never been offended by an Englishman/Irishman/Scotsman joke. I have heard a small number of jokes that were racist and unpleasant but they were not funny so were not really jokes.

When I lived in Southampton I liked to go to "Afghan Ali's" shop because he sold the best samosas in town. Everybody called his shop by that name, is that racist????

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

Yes. Same as Pakistani jokes black jokes Chinese jokes etc. You are not laughing at yourself but others and grouping a whole set of people as having the same attribute which is not the same thing.

If I say all Americans are stupid I will without doubt be wrong and showing prejudice If I say one particular American is stupid if I have evidence of that I could be right.

... and then there were no more jokes. Which would be rather sad.

Are welsh people so insecure that they can't take a joke about Welsh stereotypes? Blimey it's just as well I can take a joke about poofs! Get it all the time. Anyway it is all about the intent behind the teller of the joke, not the joke itself.

• Greenie 1

When I lived in Southampton I liked to go to "Afghan Ali's" shop because he sold the best samosas in town. Everybody called his shop by that name, is that racist????

...............Dave

No. using someone's name and, as an indentifier, their place of origin is not racist. Just down the road from the gliding club (Scottish Highlands) is a house called "English Charlie's" - so if your shop reference is racist then so is that (it's been there for a few hundred years) but the reality is that it's only racist for people too stupid to know what racism is.

... and then there were no more jokes. Which would be rather sad.

Are welsh people so insecure that they can't take a joke about Welsh stereotypes? Blimey it's just as well I can take a joke about poofs! Get it all the time. Anyway it is all about the intent behind the teller of the joke, not the joke itself.

There are many jokes and humour that does not involve being demeaning to a different group or culture. In fact more than all the nationalist stereo type jokes put together by a long way.

I don't expect all Welsh people are insecure but it is statistically possible some are. You will have to ask them all and find out. It is not about the intent behind the teller as many people will not know the tellers intent especially on a forum with just the written word to go by. Offence is defined by who is offended not by the intent of the person saying something or telling the joke.

Anyway I asked quite reasonably and nicely not to go down that path. Let's not continue and disrupt this thread in the hope that some good will come out of it rather than prove why the rules are how they exist now and how they are managed.

• Greenie 2

Offence is defined by who is offended not by the intent of the person saying something or telling the joke.

This is quite true. Some people are desperate to be offended by almost anything. So one can either take the view that anything that could possibly be a source of offence shall not be spoken, and thus remain mostly silent apart from chat about the weather and price of fish, or one could take the view that it would be unkind to take away the only pleasure of the professionally offended and thus carry on as normal, but without malicious intent. I prefer the latter strategy. But as you say let's not get distracted... my last word on the matter but feel free to have yours if you wish.

• Greenie 1

...............Dave

Assuming Ali was an Afghan no it isn't racist. A solicitor at a discrimination seminar once described it to me like this. "If you call me a black ba****d that is racist. If you call me a nigerian ba****d then that is fact".

One of the new mods (can't remember which) drew up a list of people they wanted banned, based on their posts on the other forum. At that point I'd had enough and let Dan know quite clearly that I didn't want "Site Staff" underneath my name, even if I simply did the admin stuff. He prompted a discussion amongst the other mods and it went quiet for a bit, I left and a smooth handover was done. A couple of weeks later, the people on "the list" were dropping like flies. Once again Nick's got it spot on, despite not having access to any of the mods internal communications etc. I guess its not that hard to work out.

Come on Dan, sort it out - you know exactly what to do, you just need the guts to do it. If you delay much longer (some say its already too late) there won't be a forum worth saving.

Thank you for your candour Paul.

Perhaps the mod who made the list could come on with equal candour and explain how posting on one website can earn a ban on another....(was that a pig flying by?)

• Greenie 2

Perhaps internet forums have had their day? Nothing is forever. I belong to a few forums (non boating) and all would seem to be seeing a downturn in posters of late.

I often ask on the cut if people are members of any boating forums, and many either aren't or perhaps were, but quit them. From my small sample, it would appear that most don't use internet forums. Personally I have found this forum to be a mine of useful information. OK there have been a few nobs, but these tend to be "here today, gone tomorrow." That said some very knowledgeable members have quit over the years, which is a shame.

Many people have gone over to Facebook where they can surround themselves with only those who agree with their point of view.

I don't think internet forums have had their day or I hope not.

I do now delve into a few more, but mindful of what Ive seen here, I am careful what I post.

I think the somewhat dictator style approach to certain posters has not been in my mind, fair play. In fact the way some members dealt with seemed very unpleasant.

Some posters no doubt offended in their style of posting but we always had the option not to read or engage in those threads. Banning for period of time could give us all relief from threads we didn't have to read anyway, though i do accept personally directed poisonous comments are upsetting and unnecessary.

Some posters did go what to me seemed too far but what followed ...namely a cull of any who overstepped whatever line had been drawn in the sand in retaliation was in itself a step to far.

I do see moderators give their time freely and that having to keep 'alert' for those who are out to stir troubled waters must be time consuming.

2 wrongs do not make a right.

As to face ache..for me it'll never replace a forum. The trivia on there inspires nausea.

• Greenie 2