Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Carl isn't the only one that holds that opinion if you look at the amount of greenies Matty's original post has been given.

I am not disputing anybody's opinion, i believe everyone should have their own and be allowed to voice that.

What i am trying to point out is that the forum for me, and others if you look around the web and social media, was a very angry place 2/3 years ago, i stopped coming on here due to this, maybe thats just me being a bit fluffy, but i didn't want to be part of it, its very easy to say just filter out the topics/sections that i didn't like reading, but it was not fixed to one area, it was rife throughout the forum, i feel and of course this is just my opinion that the forum is better today.

Yes old time members have left, taking a great deal of knowledge, but how about thinking this way, all the new members, either to the forum or to the world of canals, will over time build up a great deal of knowledge and share that knowledge, i hope this is where i can get to in time.

• Greenie 4

Do you not think that calling people fluffy bunnies is a (mild) insult?

3078620.jpg?232

if you are wanting to be insulted, yes.

So your opinion is the only opinion that matters?

You have just summed up what I was pointing out.

Ive not read all, but think that there's a damn site more opinions that think the same.

There are many posters disappearing, there are many posts!! disappearing.

There is a valuable resource being drained away which will leave us with what?

A forum which is a far lesser place than it was.

A forum which is not the community it was.

A boaters force which will not be able to challenge CRT in the same way it did - CRT is not all wrong, but some parts are, and need some measure of accountability and control.

With the legal threads being pulled, does this mean that CWDF are no longer allowed to discuss Politics, Religion AND Boating(where legal issues occur)???

It is blinkered and short sighted to think that these issues cant be discussed, they will still be discussed elsewhere, and the slow drift will be away.

Look at the post counts on Just Canals, ask a question and 3 views/weeks later you might get a response.

Look at the forum section on narrrowboat world, if you are in the clique of 8, you may post something, no other response is allowed - is this where CWDF wants to go??

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

If you think fluffy bunny is in any way insulting I would advise against moving to Barnsley ;)

Surely it is a polite, descriptive term and not remotely insluting.

Of course one can choose to be offended by anything, but your taking offence does not mean the subject is offensive.

Rog

Do agree with you,polite people are not inclined to use that sort of term.

The great majority of members would agree with you but would not wish to be vociferous,hence they remain silent,as one does

CT

That's also like in any other forum. The majority is silent and that gives a skewed impression, because all you hear are the vocal few. Quite like in society in general as we are observing right now.

No it is harmless humour.

It is an ironic but inoffensive comment on those who robustly discuss in favour of banning robust discussion.

That's also like in any other forum. The majority is silent and that gives a skewed impression, because all you hear are the vocal few. Quite like in society in general as we are observing right now.

It was the vocal few that argued loudly for an end to loud argument.

Its obviously not harmless humour in some people's opinion.

What is the opposite of a fluffy bunny anyway?

That of course is entirely possible but since the forum is what people post not what a silent body thinks I think it reasonable that the people who bother to speak up on any subject count.

It would be good though in my view that the forum management take note of the thoughts, suggestions and feelings outlined here and after consideration come up with a few proposals and set up some polls we could all (even the silent members) vote on. These could be non-binding but may help to consolidate what is wanted and what can be done about it. I think it best that the forum management offer the polls rather than a random set of people on various subjects which could get rather out of hand and confusing.

Edited by churchward

Sorry but that is not an argument for stifling grown up discussion.

I have not called any individual a "fluffy bunny" merely used it as a humourous label for those who choose to take away someone else's enjoyment rather than do the adult thing of realising that they have to accept some things and learn to filter out stuff.

Just because someone holds an opinion doesn't make them right.

Is the forum really only for the few that post in one way or another or also for the silent majority who only ever read and benefit from the wealth of knowledge on here? You can argue that in order to be heard they need to speak up, so I think an anonymous poll is a good idea.

No, it is just a descriptive term that has a fair bit of history on here, to describe people who shun any type of conflict including robust but polite discussion. It is far easier to say "fluffy bunny" than to write several sentences saying what it describes each time. So just consider it to be a shortcut code for a certain type of person. Of course the irony is that the fluffy bunnies are anything but fluffy when it comes to trying to ram their viewpoint down everyone else's throats so perhaps my description is slightly wrong, they only dislike robust opinion when it doesn't co-incide with theirs!

Do agree with you,polite people are not inclined to use that sort of term.

Are you suggesting I am not a polite person?

Should I take that as an insult or shrug it off like a gwown up boy?

Is the forum really only for the few that post in one way or another

You are absolutely right.

Those of us that are asking for a return to the old more relaxed style of moderating are not taking anything away, just adding something that those who don't like it should be mature enough to filter it out.

Edited by carlt

Is the forum really only for the few that post in one way or another or also for the silent majority who only ever read and benefit from the wealth of knowledge on here? You can argue that in order to be heard they need to speak up, so I think an anonymous poll is a good idea.

If you think that the wealth of knowledge has appeared by accident and some posters are getting in the way, then just where on earth do you think the WOK came from?

Anybody can stick together a CanalWickipedia - do you think everyone will read it if it just sits there and is never updated, corrected or be superceded by new information and products?

No, it wouldn't.

It needs a vocal number in membership who may also want to talk about other things whilst they are imparting expertise.

Those of us who argued for a halt to the depressing aggression this site was dominated by, were falsely labelled 'fluffy bunnies who wanted an end to all types of conflict' (as you have just done yourself above).

When in actual fact conflict and disagreement are fine. We were arguing for an end to the gratuitous and unnecessary personal insulting favoured by the aggrsseive few. Encapsulated by the advice 'play the ball not the man'. No bunnies involved, fluffy or bald.

Am I the only one who finds you arguing against robust or aggressive posting deeply ironic Mike?

• Greenie 2

It is worth mentioning though that a "robust" debating style can be very intimidating to new people who feel they will be shouted down if they post without having all the knowledge or the credentials of 100s of posts. It is not as simple as scrolling past posts you don't appreciate. When I first came here (around the beginning of the year, don't even know if this was before or after the big exodus), I opened a couple of threads on the Virtual Pub and closed them again very quickly. If that had been the style of posting on the more factual topics, I would never have joined (let alone dared to ask questions).

I am not arguing one way or the other, neither am I part of the "fluffy bunnies", because I haven't even been here then. But it is easy for a few people to dominate the discussion and inadvertently(!!) shutting out a large group. Maybe that is what you want, but you should be aware of it and make it a conscious decision.

• Greenie 1

Am I the only one who finds you arguing against robust or aggressive posting deeply ironic Mike?

Putting word in my mouth. I am doing no such thing. I was asserting the term, 'fluffy bunnies' is used as a term to describe and to belittle anyone objecting to aggression or abuse on here.

Gotta keep his post count up somehow....

What on earth does THAT have to do with the price of eggs?

Putting word in my mouth. I am doing no such thing. I was asserting the term, 'fluffy bunnies' is used as a term to describe and to belittle anyone objecting to aggression or abuse on here.

I was commenting on your overall forum persona, not one single post.

Your posting manner is no less assertive or some might say belligerent than mine and I have no objection to it at all but it is somewhat ironic that you argue against your own style.

It is not as simple as scrolling past posts you don't appreciate..

Yes it is if those posts are not illegal or abusive.

I am not arguing for no moderation, just a return to the days when we were treated like grown ups and allowed free flowing, sometimes robust discussion.

Edited by carlt