Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

What I wrote

Can anyone help? I need a couple of scaffold poles to mount a wind genny on my mooring.

Unfortunately I drive a micra and I am blowed if I can figure how to get a 10 ft pole back to the mooring.

So on the off chance anyone happens to have one or two and is passing grendon moorings?

Obviously for a suitable exchange of cash

A shot in the dark I know ;)

You have my sympathy, driving a Micra is a huge burden to bear.

That said, as it's a Micra lashing it to the roof isn't really going to do its appeal any harm.

I haven't got any but if you find some I can shift them for you

Thank you

You have my sympathy, driving a Micra is a huge burden to bear.

That said, as it's a Micra lashing it to the roof isn't really going to do its appeal any harm.

It was cheap it was very low mileage which is what I wanted but its my least favourite car I have ever owned

Well apart from the smart car work makes me use but I dont own that

Isn't grendon on the nene?

No the Coventry near Atherstone

Isn't grendon on the nene?

Near the Nene, decent little walk from the river to the village.

The Half moon is nowhere near as good as it once was so not worth the bother really.

Thank you

It was cheap it was very low mileage which is what I wanted but its my least favourite car I have ever owned

Well apart from the smart car work makes me use but I dont own that

No the Coventry near Atherstone

A 1985 1300 GL Nova has that accolade for me, I was given it by the now Mother In Law, immaculate, low miles but sadly hideous to drive.

I wrote it off t boned at a crossroads 1/4 mile from their house 5 weeks later - looking back it was the kindest thing to do to it.

I had a night in hospital with concussion after opening the drivers window with my noggin in the accident.

Edited by gazza

As a new member to this forum I can't comment about how things have run in the past, however I have been an active member of 5 non boat related sites over the years (with only 1 or two telling offs :) )

One particular forum I'm a member of uses a neat trick to moderate. What the mods did was set up a "snippiness" sub forum, and when things get rowdy would copy post text into that thread, editing the original post to say something like "Moved to snippiness: link here"

If a small group of people really want to go hammer and tongs they could continue the personal stuff in the snippiness, however they tended not to as now they might as well carry on via PM, as they'd lost their "audience"

It keeps the content more factual stuff vastly improving the signal to noise, but because the moderated stuff isn't fully deleted the poster doesn't feel like they are being censored. In addition still holds a place in the thread so subsequent posts don't seem random (which can happen with a full delete).

Personally I also found it a little more transparent.

Of course anything that was legally dubious was still removed (often with a text edited to say "removed for legal reasons")

I think cock-up with the site maintenance. I saw a load of new threads started by Tree Monkey that disappeared as well. If it was conspiracy why would 'that' post still be here?

JP

Because my post high lighted the insane level of moderation and no doubt this post too could see my demise for my audacity.

Phil

Re the scaffold poles. If you put some of that yellow pipe insulation / pole gendering or whatever its called over the poles they will probably sit nice and snug on the roof of the car once strapped down.

Edited by magnetman

Google canal world forum and see how many hits you get from other sites from people saying this forum is not a nice place, these are all dated two/three years ago, this for me backs up what I posted earlier, the forum was not a nice place I felt, I find it better now.

Good for you but I don't think it's a nice place now so my opinion cancels yours out.

It keeps the content more factual

Personally I also found it a little more transparent.

This was a relaxed discussion forum not a wiki page.

If you want dry facts read an encyclopedia

There must be a 3rd way :rolleyes:

There was.

Those that were unable to filter the non fluffy bits have ruined it though

So your opinion is the only opinion that matters?

You have just summed up what I was pointing out.

No of course not.

If you wish to take my attempt at humour seriously then it is basic maths.

1-1=0 your opinion cancels mine out too.

The opinions have equal value.

Carl isn't the only one that holds that opinion if you look at the amount of greenies Matty's original post has been given.

Ahh well done you just reminded me to award a greenie to the original post.

Tim

You have just summed up what I was pointing out.

The difference is that my wishes take nothing away from the forum...just add bits that you might not like but should be able to filter.

Your wishes have ruined the forum for me and many others

Edited by carlt

+ 1

CT

Why?

Look at stat sites and see which is the most popular canal oriented website and get the opposing view.

I hate X Factor but I can't deny it's success.

People will always criticise that which they don't like.

Look at the criticism levelled at just canals or NBW.

Or Carlt :lol:

;)

I may have been criticised for my forthright posting style but, despite being the most prolific poster here, I have yet to receive a single warning.

That may change of course but I don't think I have posted contrary to the new rules even though I may upset the fluffier bunnies.