Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Dunno about you but when I see a load of blue flashing lights ahead of me on a road (motorway or not) I instinctively lift my foot off the throttle.

I'm not doing it to 'rubberneck', I'm doing it because it's sensible defensive driving.I'm sure the emergency services people would prefer me to pass at 50 than 75mph.

I was refering to those passing on the opposite carriageway. If we are talking about passing an incident on the same carriagewa you are normally governed by a temporary limit anyway.

Given that on a motorway (which is what I actually referred to ) you would be on the opposite carriageway and separated from the othe other carriageway there is no real need to slow down as you can pass I would say no. The problem of course is that some people just can't resist, hence the Highways Agency have actually invested in screens to stop rubber neckers, but I don't believe they work as they should.

A single carriageway (which I wasn't referring to) is a different matter.

I'm kind of dubious about any mod who volunteers.to be one.

They should be proposed, elected and dragged reluctantly to their post as the speaker is dragged reluctantly to the woolsack.

Someone who volunteers to be a mod has something missing in their life (in my opinion of course).

And some of the best people would never offer themselves up to do it. Lets face it, most people would not want to do it, it takes so much time up for one.

This is actually how we did it this time, for the latest addition, it's how I would select people. Ive been asked if I would do it, almost every time Ive adminned. I may have volunteered to help on this forum, (just cant remember it was a long time ago) but not anywhere else Ive moderated. I also spent time researching forums best practise a few months ago and this is what was suggested most places I looked, so we thought we'd give it a go.

Edited by Lady Muck

I also spent time researching forums best practise a few months ago and this is what was suggested most places I looked, so we thought we'd give it a go.

It's funny how what works on paper turns out to be rubbish in real life though.

As you have criticised the over moderation of Just Canals in the past (and mocked the ban on mentioning its name) it surprises me that it was your research that prompted the death of free discussion on this one.

• Greenie 4

Moderators are volunteers, who respond to requests for help with a short CV,

most CV's i get arnt worth the paper they are written on but look great untill you meet the person, i would of thought you would select on dedication to the forum, friendship, reliability and forum / Canal experience, all can be seen in the postings they have made on here. but most of all someone that is friendly and get on with members someone to be respected,

As you have criticised the over moderation of Just Canals in the past (and mocked the ban on mentioning its name) it surprises me that it was your research that prompted the death of free discussion on this one.

Looks like i'm going to run out of greenies pretty quick again today

As an aside to the main discussion, is mentioning Just Canals banned on here too?

If so, should it not say so in the Forum Rules and Guidelines?

I enjoy reading passionate discussion. The various arguments are always good to hear, even if I do not wish to become involved.

I am not interested, and I believe few others are, in witnessing pointless rude and childish name calling.

I prefer to read arguments that are not laced with abusive language.

I admire quick wit and humour.

I like others, become frustrated when a thread I return to has disappeared, become locked or posts are obviously out of sequence due to undefined editing.

I enjoy this place because it appears that the majority of members are of a similar mind.

It's such a shame that some entertaining and amusing contributors have disappeared, voluntarily or otherwise. An amnesty would be a good idea as a way of moving forward.

Right, if Daniel and the Mod's can sort that for me, at least one of us will be happy wink.png

Rog

I was wondering the same yesterday but I have a strong suspicion that at least some of those who would be able to utilise any amnesty would in no way be interested. I think things have gone too far for them to even consider a return here, even if it was offered.

Of course some might say 'good riddance' and I may be wrong but I suspect reading posts elsewhere some feel (because of the circumstances of their forum removal) any respect for this forum and the moderating team has been completely taken away.

As I say though I could be completely wrong (and I am in no way an appointed spokesperson for those people) and if it was offered some may take it up. (Doubt it will be offered though if I'm honest)

Edited by MJG

Lol, I was referring to our latest admin, Magpie Patrick, it's a vety recent thing. Wasn't involved in the other decisions, barely been around this year. But hey ho. All my personal fault innit. When is My sentencing and what will my punishment be?

I was wondering the same yesterday but I have a strong suspicion that at least some of those who would be able to utilise any amnesty would in no way be interested. I think things have gone too far for them to even consider a return here, even if it was offered.

Of course some might say 'good riddance' and I may be wrong but I suspect reading posts elsewhere some feel (because of the circumstances of their forum removal) any respect for this forum and the moderating team has been completely taken away.

As I say though I could be completely wrong (and I am in no way an appointed spokesperson for those people) and if it was offered some may take it up. (Doubt it will be offered though if I'm honest)

Only the Mod's here know for certain why they disappeared, and therefore the appropriateness of their being invited back.

As an example, I always found Loafer's musings to be entertaining and harmless, but he's gone for some reason.

I, like many I suspect, have looked at the other place. It's not to my taste, but there are many recognisable posters there, with a number who still feature here, yourself included. I find this parallel universe frustrating as an observer, so as a contributor I suspect you must also.

Rog

As an aside to the main discussion, is mentioning Just Canals banned on here too?

It was because a bit of an inter-forum flamewar started when the self-righteousness of the JC gang discussing CWDF was noticed and provoked similar cynicism here as is displayed on the new forum although light moderation restricted the comments to mocking sarcasm rather than outright insults.

Edited to add: Sam and Willywarmer used to lead the odd skirmish across our borders to defend the good name of JC but were soon repelled with biting sarcasm and ascerbic wit (earning me a lifetime ban from JC).

Edited by carlt

Sentence will be held on 1 April 1961 at Brighton assizes. Punishment will be riding a Lambretta with 24 spotlamps that don't work, streaming fox tails at night in mid winter along the sea front wearing a Parka, kinky boots and sun glasses.

• Greenie 1

Only the Mod's here know for certain why they disappeared,

That is quite true.

And one of the reasons for that is that some of those who have been banned state they have never been told why, which if correct seems very unfair.

Ironically if the mods PM you with a reason for being banned and then remove your access to the forum you cant log in to see why. This happened to me once when I was given a temporary ban.

Lol, I was referring to our latest admin, Magpie Patrick, it's a vety recent thing. Wasn't involved in the other decisions, barely been around this year. But hey ho. All my personal fault innit. When is My sentencing and what will my punishment be?

Well, if thats your picture in your avatar, i would suggest a gentle spanking. I can call round when ever suits you.........I'll bring the wine.biggrin.png

Well, if thats your picture in your avatar, i would suggest a gentle spanking. I can call round when ever suits you.........I'll bring the wine.biggrin.png

Avatar is depicting the more elite Vespa GS summer attire. smile.png

Edited by bizzard

I'm not sure what rules have changed since quitting the team of mods but when i was on the team we / i was told to always message the poster if a post needed editing or removing, if the post was edited you had to explain the reason you felt the need to edit it, If the post/thread was deleted the same rule applied, So what has changed since then? Are the current mod's so busy that they don't have time to explain their actions or is it just laziness/easier not to message members. As has been said earlier in the thread "if members don't know why things have been removed/edited how are we supposed to know it was wrong" i think the mod team should be more open about what they are doing to posts/threads, No i don't believe they should name and shame because that's just intimidation for the poster but i do think they should be more open about their actions.

If a topic is closed, then the whole forum is being modded, not just the person who wrote a naughty thing.

• Greenie 3

Discussion has not died here, only discussion has been stopped about certain subjects, and similar rules about politics and religion are applied to many other forums.

And having looked in "the other place"; no thanks! Their CWDF section is pitiful! (which will probably get a comment there!)

Edited by Graham Davis

Thank you for explaining it properly! "Rubbish" should only apply to a post which doesn't actually make a recognisable point!

I got 'rubbished' earlier in this thread. I didn't mind as it related to a somewhat flippant point not to be taken too seriously. Context is everything. If a poster makes a passionate and reasoned argument and get a response of 'bollox' or 'rubbish', that's pretty offensive.

I've said before, consider how your post would sound if spoken to a vague acquaintance's face in the pub. If it doesn't meet the 'pub' test it probably shouldn't be posted.

• Greenie 3

Discussion has not died here,

Yes it has.even the discussion in "allowed" subjects is stifled by over moderation, patronising threats from mods and the demand that everything be nice, inane and fluffy.

Lively, interesting discussion is all but dead unless you like nice, inane, fluffy crap.

• Greenie 3

Discussion has not died here, only discussion has been stopped about certain subjects, and similar rules about politics and religion are applied to many other forums.

And having looked in "the other place"; no thanks! Their CWDF section is pitiful! (which will probably get a comment there!)

Since you were the eponymous member in the thread title, it can hardly be a revelation that you are quite happy with the way things are. Discussion has not died here, but it is stilted.

I got 'rubbished' earlier in this thread. I didn't mind as it related to a somewhat flippant point not to be taken too seriously. Context is everything. If a poster makes a passionate and reasoned argument and get a response of 'bollox' or 'rubbish', that's pretty offensive.

Agreed