Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Funny whenever I drive over the Suffolk border my accent changes to Suffolk. Exwife could not stand it, like many things she could not stand. lol

Nothing wrong with that, roots should go deep.

Be thankful for the soft and easy on the ear East Anglian accent, you could be stuck with something like Geordie or Scouse :)

I'm really surprised at this statement coming from you.

Thank you for that. How well do you know me?

Thanks for your support back in 1984/85. We probably rubbed shoulders. Small world innit.

SAM

As you say...you are also entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong.

Having seen your robust often forthright debating style in the past along with your stories you've told of your times on the picket lines I thought perhaps I did know you.

I'm sorry you find my wanting a return to the old free flowing discussion once prevalent here tedious.

Your describing me as "tedious", "whinging like a spoilt brat" and "going on and on" is surely far more confrontational than anything I've said in this thread and exactly the sort of behaviour you (dare I say) protest against.

• Greenie 2

Having seen your robust often forthright debating style in the past along with your stories you've told of your times on the picket lines I thought perhaps I did know you.

I think you are trying to compare chalk with cheese here.

I'm sorry you find my wanting a return to the old free flowing discussion once prevalent here tedious.

Your describing me as "tedious", "whinging like a spoilt brat" and "going on and on" is surely far more confrontational than anything I've said in this thread and exactly the sort of behaviour you (dare I say) protest against.

If you want to wear that cap fine, but TBH I didn't have you in mind when I posted.

Well said. You could have a green thing but as I said earlier I've run out today.

I was trying to think who were the posters who seemed to enjoy causing trouble but it was a bit like Kim's game, looking for something that isn't there anymore.

The forum is a better place without them and yes, I do realise other opinions are available.

I never saw a single insult from Nigel Moore, he was always polite and went out of his way to explain things clearly to some who picked fault and argued.

He may have been longwinded in some of his threads, however, at least they were factual and sticking to the subject, unlike many of his naysayers.

The forum is arguably better for the loss of some people that is without doubt but a few of the 'disappeared' are definitely missed by a lot of members.

Not that it actually matters a great deal after all its just a fekkin internet forum not open heart surgery :huh:

I read somewhere that internet bullying was where a person or group performed activities which led to a person losing the will or ability to participate in something they enjoyed. Some people enjoy posting on forums. It forms part of their social interaction in some cases. Withdrawing this can actually be quite damaging.

Seems to me like blocking someone who has not actually done anything "out of order" is bordering on bullying. Depends what out of order is but there are 'rules'

I think this all stems from the early days of "Thunderboat" (what an odd name for a canal boat forum but never mind) where there was a lot of quite nasty name calling and general unpleasantness.

This was to do with the "oooh we can do rude words here" reaction. It calmed down after a while. Still some of it about.

There is also bitterness related to the bullying side.

This is a well respected forum. Time to get it sorted out really. Anonymous moderators would be a start.

Not sure if the software allows it but I would have thought so.

I never saw a single insult from Nigel Moore, he was always polite and went out of his way to explain things clearly to some who picked fault and argued.

He may have been longwinded in some of his threads, however, at least they were factual and sticking to the subject, unlike many of his naysayers.

No no no no

You can not be serious :huh:

Nigelmoore is still free to post here. Surely. Please ?

• Greenie 1

True.

I had a natter with one of the fire engine crews "what will they do with the fox?" I asked bloke said a vet will take it to the country.

A donation to one of the hunts. How nice :(

Yes I'm in London - Limehouse which is very urban.

I thought so, home of the lazy urban Fox that likes bothering babies :)

I think you are trying to compare chalk with cheese here.

If you want to wear that cap fine, but TBH I didn't have you in mind when I posted.

I think I am pretty spot on actually.

You enjoyed robust debate on political topics often getting into some pretty heated discussion with our right wing fellow members.

There came a point when some of the more extreme amongst us stopped debating and started baiting (the "I can be as racist as I like because if you call me racist it means you lose the argument" comments were particularly notable) and something needed to be done.

Unfortunately it swung completely the other way and now you and I (and the less vitriolic right wing members of which there are several) have had the opportunity of intelligent debate stifled completely.

I believe it is worth protesting for a return to the pre-hyperbolic days no matter ho tedious you may find it.

Nigel is still a member: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=15607

Richard

This is a well respected forum. Time to get it sorted out really. Anonymous moderators would be a start.

This thought had entered my mind as well,particularly if the PMs could all go to a singular mail box making the chances of personal abuse of Mods less. Themodration could then be less personal to those receiving the moderation so they didn't feel it was a vendetta against them.

This thought had entered my mind as well,particularly if the PMs could all go to a singular mail box making the chances of personal abuse of Mods less. Themodration could then be less personal to those receiving the moderation so they didn't feel it was a vendetta against them.

Thats a good idea, maybe a members only section where the moderation is lighter and the fighting/debates could continue?

Thunderboat was created so that those who preferred an unmoderated forum could go there.

This forum, I think we all agree, should remain moderated. But that means bans and other disciplining should address conduct HERE and nowhere else.

The Mod's should be like a good sports referee, unnoticed for the most part.

I say again, we are currently conducting a robust discussion without disrespect and profanity.

That really is all the Mod's would have to deal with.

What part of this is so difficult.

Rog

I say again, we are currently conducting a robust discussion without disrespect and profanity.

But this is isolated, like the Brexit thread.

I doubt the same would be true if someone opened a thread discussing whether Theresa May, as an unelected Prime Minister, has the mandate to govern.

Which part?

But teasing aside you are doing a typical forum thing of misreading and then complaining about what a poster didn't say.

The accusation was that it was boring.

My repost was well don't read it then. We weren't talking about posting offensive material, we were talking about posting boring material.

Haven't been ignoring you Nick. Have been distracted by a lovely day at work in MK (no, not for them).

The Welsh part must be the rugby loving bit of me.

Anyway we have both had our say and I think to reignite this would be in very grave danger of being boring.

JP

But this is isolated, like the Brexit thread.

I doubt the same would be true if someone opened a thread discussing whether Theresa May, as an unelected Prime Minister, has the mandate to govern.

Why not? It's the conduct of the discussion not the content that matters.

It would not be a subject matter that interests me, but 80% of what's on here is of no interest to me already.

Rog

If I were Dan I would try to recognise that when future employment prospects or a bit of controversy become more important than the forum, it's time to step back and let someone who feels they have nothing to loose, or is more up for standing up for their forum, to take over.

I've also watched forums die before. Once it starts, providing there is an alternative, it's unstoppable.

That being the case, why did Matty40s mention him by name implying that he was one of the banned troubelmakers?

Just curious. I'd be even more curious if I was Nigel Moore.

Yes it was a bit odd almost like a freudian slip

Possibly he meant Tony Dunkley or maybe he has a crystal ball