Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

The other thing about warnings and bans is that if you only log into the forum on your phone (mobile version of the forum) you can't actually see how many warnings you have.

There could be people on here who do that oblivious to what their warn status is.

Discussion has not died here, only discussion has been stopped about certain subjects, and similar rules about politics and religion are applied to many other forums.

And having looked in "the other place"; no thanks! Their CWDF section is pitiful! (which will probably get a comment there!)

baring in mind it was created by someone regularly being told to start his own forum if he wasnt happy, and it became a place where those excomunicated from here were able to have a right to reply which they couldnt here, it was always going to start off with a bit of a bang, which wasnt helped by sock puppet posters from here creating abusive threads.

It wont suit everybody, especially those who like a 'Report button' but at least people have the ability to post there if they choose to without fear or favour.

• Greenie 3

I got 'rubbished' earlier in this thread. I didn't mind as it related to a somewhat flippant point not to be taken too seriously. Context is everything. If a poster makes a passionate and reasoned argument and get a response of 'bollox' or 'rubbish', that's pretty offensive.

I've said before, consider how your post would sound if spoken to a vague acquaintance's face in the pub. If it doesn't meet the 'pub' test it probably shouldn't be posted.

That's two greenies I've given you this morning.

You're going to have to tell me what you have for breakfast, because whatever it is,

I need some ;)

Rog

I am a member of The Other Place (in fact I was the first to join, but that was just chance), but I haven't been there for some time as I found the level and tone of many (most) content not to my taste, except for an extended and lively Brexit discussion which was paralleled here anyway despite the politics ban.

However, when reasonable people like CarlT say it is 'rumbling along nicely', then perhaps it has matured into something worthwhile? I'll have a look.

BTW, the ban on mentioning the name here when it's nature is openly discussed seems a bit pointless, doesn't it? It only piques people's curiosity.

• Greenie 1

BTW, the ban on mentioning the name here when it's nature is openly discussed seems a bit pointless, doesn't it? It only piques people's curiosity.

I think you might find that seems to be working quite well for the 'other place' at the moment.

There have been a number of interesting additions members wise over the last 48-72 hours.

Lol, I was referring to our latest admin, Magpie Patrick, it's a vety recent thing. Wasn't involved in the other decisions, barely been around this year. But hey ho. All my personal fault innit. When is My sentencing and what will my punishment be?

Perhaps a slapped wrist would be appropriate? :)

And in removing a lot of posters and putting up such tight modding the forum has lost a lot of expertise and also the different personality's which made the forum interesting. Thank god Carlt has reappeared to put some fizz back with his reasoned posts

But can you count on him staying?

Phil

Its a sad day for CWDF when you look at those who have signed up, and are posting, on the 'not to be mentioned forum'. if they have stopped posting on here it will be a huge loss of a non-confrontational, extremely knowlegable person(s).

If this forum is to remain as the No1 'go to site' then someone needs to put their finger in the leak before it becomes a torrent of 'leavers'

• Greenie 1

Indeed. One of my major reasons for reading this site was the excellent and learned articles by Nigel Moore and Tony Dunkley. Now they have left there seems to be a huge hole in the range of discussion on CWDF

I am not particularly keen on the 'lads club' atmosphere of the other site but I have to say, with the serious discussions moving wholesale, it does seem to be settling down somewhat.

The history's still good here though.

Edited by hounddog
  • Greenie 1

Indeed. One of my major reasons for reading this site was the excellent and learned articles by Nigel Moore and Tony Dunkley. Now they have left there seems to be a huge hole in the range of discussion on CWDF

I am not particularly keen on the 'lads club' atmosphere of the other site but I have to say, with the serious discussions moving wholesale, it does seem to be settling down somewhat.

The history's still good here though.

It's nice not to have the relentless, mindless criticism and condemnation of anything and everything CRT say and do though, isn't it!

• Greenie 1

But there are still folk on here who aren't fans of C&RT and are happy to let folk know it. That's their prerogative and I hope they don't follow as well.

JP

Not being 'fans' is not quite the same thing as Mr Dunkley's unreasoning and relentless hatred of them.

It's nice not to have the relentless, mindless criticism and condemnation of anything and everything CRT say and do though, isn't it!

The thing about forums is that there is no need to read things you don't like.

Tony Dunkley did not fill the site with anti-CRT sentiment, he contributed to a tiny part of it that I didn't read very much because it didn't interest me.

He did however contribute a wealth of knowledge about the Northern Waterways and working boats which I greatly miss.

The insistence on being outraged about an easily ignored hobby horse has removed a valuable resource.

• Greenie 1

The thing about forums is that there is no need to read things you don't like.

Tony Dunkley did not fill the site with anti-CRT sentiment, he contributed to a tiny part of it that I didn't read very much because it didn't interest me.

He did however contribute a wealth of knowledge about the Northern Waterways and working boats which I greatly miss.

The insistence on being outraged about an easily ignored hobby horse has removed a valuable resource.

I had a similar view. Old(er) men having a rant about something they dislike aren't that uncommon in society and I don't tend to engage them on the street so I follow suit on the forum.

Well at least we won't have to witness the unedifying spectacle of his exchanges with the member who I think may be young enough to be his granddaughter. She really should have had something better to do than goad an old(er) man.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

On a point of order:-

My understanding is that Tony didn't 'leave' here by choice. People talking of him 'leaving' are not accurately reflecting the actual circumstances .

And I don't believe Nigel has actually 'left' here either, though what he can post (here but not elsewhere) is probably now severely compromised.

Just sayin'. and open to correction.

Well at least we won't have to witness the unedifying spectacle of his exchanges with the member who I think may be young enough to be his granddaughter. She really should have had something better to do than goad an old(er) man.

JP

Well that is about as an inaccurate description about anything I have seen on here for a while. I think to be more accurate I would say they both gave as good as they got from each other and any 'goading' was pretty mutual.