Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Son't continue to drive away those folks who have made it the site it is today.

(No am not on the other site, neither have I seen it.)

Interesting you should say this. I have never visited the other site either, nor ever felt the need to despite being PMed occasionally and advised to. (I an confident from other PMs it would be a mistake.)

Another forum I lurve and spend far too much time on also seems to be suffering from similar dissent. There is 'something in the air' on the internet.

(Remember that song?)

Matty has put into words what I believe many of us feel.

Canal world became my window to the world during a time when I chose not to interact with people. I very much enjoyed the banter of the threads. My confidence increased but I now feel a bit lost

I still lurk but feel I have to be careful with what I post. I do not wish to offend nor be consigned to a scrapheap.

Through circumstances that are deeply personal my boat sadly had to go and pre the culling here I would have been able to share what occurred with a forum that felt like family. Now i trudge through treacle finding my way hoping that one day I will get another.

• Greenie 3

It is notable that once prolific and valued members who are not so "confrontational" are voicing the same concerns as those who some may see as more vociferous and argumentative.

The forum has lost too much good, in the attempt to pare away some bad.

Like Matty I have not moved to the other forum, thinking that Daniel, who was once a critic of the over moderated Just Canals, would see sense and allow a return to the more relaxed style of moderation that made the forum so great rather than the "delete and ban" regime we have now.

This has not happened however and my posting has now dwindled from far too active to once a month or so.

Greenie

Carlt. I used to look forward to your strong comments coming from your heart, your opinions were your own and you wouldn't be swayed from them. I can't remember you ever getting personal to other parties in the conversation with differing views. Just firm knowledgable opinions.

The one side of the forum I enjoy is the historical recollections that appear nano-seconds after the request for information.

I don't know any solutions, or can't recommend any changes.

Long may this forum survive. It has changed and like Matty40 miss the old version.

Martyn

I love Canalworldforum, I watched for a few years before I dared join.

It was everything I needed, information, fun, ribald banter and pi$$ (genuine letters removed to protect the incontinent and easily offended) taking put downs.

I was new to the internet and new to boating as an owner - but not to canals.

I eventually succumbed in 2008 to the Log in as new member and tiptoed in, vibrant and sometimes raucous arguments carried on and were carefully managed by the moderators.

The CWDF was my online existence for a few years, helping me adapt to my new environment, and soon it appeared that many others were a part of this vibrant community.

The CWDF community not only helped me adapt to online banter, but also opened the door to the wonderful but unreliable chatroom, who's inconsistency became a source of fun and enjoyment to all who were subject to,or watching the entry, exit bells of Mike31 and everyone else come and go as we got booted in and out of the room while we were all in various parts of the canal network(or in a house next to a pub in Chesterfield Mike.)

It's also where I first started to chat to Kathy.

The forum has seen many come and go for a multitude of reasons, Gibbo was the most spectacular exit, and maybe the first of the new way of thinking.

CanalWorld forum is a wonderful community of people from all ages which brings people together in the love of canal history, canal folklore, canals now and canals in the future, it is currently being decimated in both its inclusiveness but also its buzz.

Since 2014/5, perhaps the moderators of old did not realise the new phenomenon of WUM had entered CWDF, perhaps they didn't weed out serial antagonists soon enough...but very soon the new breed of mods came in and laid waste to a free thinking site with sometimes unco-ordinated and often knee jerk moderation.

These fell by the wayside eventually ,now to be replaced with a new kind of moderation policy, with a slap your hands and delete you approach.

This is a long way from the site I joined.

This is a massive leap from the fun, informative, fun, argumentative, fun, vibrant site I joined.

It is still useful.

It is still going, just.

Let up, free up, allow some bite , it is still potentially by far the best Canalforum.

Don't continue to drive away those folks who have made it the site it is today.

(No am not on the other site, neither have I seen it.)

I don't believe we should all just accept what happens to us, like sheep do.

Virtual greenie well said sir

It is notable that once prolific and valued members who are not so "confrontational" are voicing the same concerns as those who some may see as more vociferous and argumentative.

The forum has lost too much good, in the attempt to pare away some bad.

Like Matty I have not moved to the other forum, thinking that Daniel, who was once a critic of the over moderated Just Canals, would see sense and allow a return to the more relaxed style of moderation that made the forum so great rather than the "delete and ban" regime we have now.

This has not happened however and my posting has now dwindled from far too active to once a month or so.

Virtual greenie for a very erudite post. Run out of greenies by 8.50am!

This is what I love about this place. All is quiet (I hesitate to say boring) and then wham! A number of interesting threads appear at once.

Meanwhile, in the background, the good house keeping type threads trundle on.

Rog

Not been on here that long, but I prefer the forum as it is today, rather than where it was two maybe three years ago, found it almost an angry place back then and didn't really want to contribute or join in.

But that's just my view.

However there was a period, probably before you joined when there was a 'happy medium' between what we had a year or so ago and all the associated aggro and what we seem to have now. I think that is all Matty is asking for in terms a return to something else.

Arguments used to get heated but moderation intervention and effective use of the warn system normally pulled things back into line. I also don't recall being told that 'hands will get slapped' if you don't stop, I mean just how patronising is that? That type of language just winds people up.