Extreme degreasing of engine bilges.

Featured Posts

I can't hold in place anything with a flat plate, because there are more areas covered in knees, butt straps, raised angles and numerous rivets than there are genuinely flat areas of plate.

This is a large part of the problem. In a modern welded boat you can use scrapers over virtually the whole area, a "lumpy" historic boat bottom presents a much greater challenge.

I have already fully convinced myself that neither petrol or thinners will play any part in this operation!

Sounds to me like you need to get yourself a brand new nice shiny boat and stop concerning yourself with all that old historic non sense, sit back, relax and have a gin and tonic.tongue.png

• Greenie 1

Sounds to me like you need to get yourself a brand new nice shiny boat and stop concerning yourself with all that old historic non sense, sit back, relax and have a gin and tonic.tongue.png

Maybe when hell freezes over!

Before retirement I worked in the ralway vehicle spares industry. We used to get the gear-case covers from the bogies for overhaul/repair. Although most of the thick, grease-like 'Motac' lubricant had been removed these were still covered in a film of the stuff. Spillages did occur despite all the care taken.

We found that a citrus (orange) based degreaser worked best to get it off loors, shoes and clothing.

Anything that can shift "Motac" is worth trying, it's as close to road tar as any gear lubricant gets!

Try a product called "Elbow Grease". It is solvent free and I have found it to be excellent when I cleaned my boat engine. Available at many supermarkets, Amazon etc.

Tony

If you think the task I have is comparable to cleaning a boat engine, you have completely failed to grasp the scale of the problem.

Elbow grease has already been used in great abundance, and so far with only very partial success.

Elbow grease has already been used in great abundance, and so far with only very partial success.

I do believe he was referring to this citrus cleaner:

https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-household/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/elbow-grease-all-purp-degreaser-500ml

My extreme apologies - I mistook it as a humorous remark!

The £1 a try options I'm certainly prepared to give a go. Some are a much bigger investment to find out if they work or not!

I should add - we will not get back to the boat for some days, so I cannot report further on what we try, and with what success until then....

My extreme apologies - I mistook it as a humorous remark!

The £1 a try options I'm certainly prepared to give a go. Some are a much bigger investment to find out if they work or not!

I should add - we will not get back to the boat for some days, so I cannot report further on what we try, and with what success until then....

No problem. :)

Tony

Alan,

The solution we found to this problem with the REGINALD was to cut the bottom off and weld on a new one.

Hope that helps... smile.png

Based on your experiences with Reg, I'd be more concerned that I'm currently planning to fit a different engine! :lol:

A friend of mine who had to deal with a similar problem said he used a product named "D-Stop" which is used to unblock sinks etc.

It may be worth giving that a try.

Whatever you're going to use, I wish you good luck with this filthy job.

Peter.