Water marks on wall paneling repairs

wullie

Featured Posts

We had a similar problem and used oxalic acid mixed as a paste form. Spread this on the affected areas and leave for a few hours before washing off. It will take a lot of the black marks out. Then rinse off with fresh water, allow to dry, sand lightly and varnish.

What form do the water marks take? White, black, spots, streaks?

Its light white marks mostly some darker spots but very little, it is mostly at bottom of windows now wit the windows refitted and sealed after painting i want to do a bit of work on woodwork, i hasten to add its just small areas, its just a job i would like to do for my own satisfaction.

are you talking about the black stains that affect water damaged oak? AFAIK these are not just superficial problems, they tend to run deep.

its on wall panels below windows now windows refitted and sealed i would like to try do something with the marks mostly white but a few darker marks on some parts.

Sorry to hijack this thread,

I have darkening of the thin veneer over MDF at the site of old water leaks ( now fixed). Any advice on removing it would be most welcome.

I have had limited success with local heating using a cool iron.

Top Cat

Having just got our boat we are wondering best way to repair a few small water marks on panels, was thinking light sanding and few coats varnish might work.

If by "panels" you mean veneered plywood, please be aware that the facing veneers that makes it oak (or whatever) is often microscopically thin, and any significant amount of sanding, even with very fine sandpaper, can easily go through that surface, to reveal the next layer, (which will certainly not match what you have sanded off!).

Edited by alan_fincher

Its light white marks mostly some darker spots but very little, it is mostly at bottom of windows now wit the windows refitted and sealed after painting i want to do a bit of work on woodwork, i hasten to add its just small areas, its just a job i would like to do for my own satisfaction.

its on wall panels below windows now windows refitted and sealed i would like to try do something with the marks mostly white but a few darker marks on some parts.

I have heard (but not tried myself) that where a water stain has bleached the colour out of wood, the colour can be restored by lightly sanding the area to remove the varnish and then staining the wood with diluted black tea.

Thank you for the links I will try those out

BTW I'll add to the caution about sanding, I went right through some veneer in seconds fortunately on a bit that doesn't show.

T C